Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Brake Dust Solution!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003 | 12:23 PM
s9am_me

our rims come clear coated right?? (touring) If so, can't we use a polish and wax on it?? Polish to make it shine like no tomorrow and the wax for protection. Just a thought. I use www.wheelwax.com The stuff is about $15 a can but it works like a mo fo. I clean my wheels with a damp rag now and my wheels come out super slick
Old 07-28-2003 | 01:53 PM
flynnibus
Z Flier
Premier Member

Originally posted by s9am_me
our rims come clear coated right?? (touring) If so, can't we use a polish and wax on it??
Yes and yes
Old 08-06-2003 | 07:40 PM
radarman

The fun of owning a Z is .... DRIVING IT!. I drive mine everyday and love it. Brake dust is a way of life and all the suggestions work to a degree. Those of you that drive on weekends and good weather are missing out on how the Z really handles in all driving situations (wet, dry). I have owned a lot of sports cars and did that "drive on weekend" thing and missed out on a lot. Sure your miles are down and the detailing has been reduced but you are missing out on the FUN! I am sure you didn't buy the car to let it sit in the garage? It was designed to drive and by-golly this time I am going to do that!
Old 08-07-2003 | 04:42 PM
ZULATOR

Originally posted by radarman
The fun of owning a Z is .... DRIVING IT!. I drive mine everyday and love it. Brake dust is a way of life and all the suggestions work to a degree. Those of you that drive on weekends and good weather are missing out on how the Z really handles in all driving situations (wet, dry). I have owned a lot of sports cars and did that "drive on weekend" thing and missed out on a lot. Sure your miles are down and the detailing has been reduced but you are missing out on the FUN! I am sure you didn't buy the car to let it sit in the garage? It was designed to drive and by-golly this time I am going to do that!

You never know why some people drive their Z on weekend. Some have to park in crowded parking garages and hate to come out after work and see that "first ding." Some have waited, saved, and finally got their dream car. Or you could be like me..... I'm a Senior Drill Sergeant in the Army. I have to instill discipline in soldiers. Unfortunately, that makes me the bad guy most of the time and some young soldiers act out in aggression. I've had one car "keyed" and the tires flattened. It defintely won't happen to my Z. I will continue to drive my '94 Sentra proudly (Mon-Fri) and my Z on the weekends. It has nothing to do with trying to keep the mileage down or keeping the car clean. But I must confess....Being a Drill Sergeant requires attention to detail and you definitely take the job home. Shux,
I'm a neat freak in every aspect. Just remember "to each his own."

Peace,

Rush
Old 08-27-2003 | 12:39 PM
Duke407

Originally posted by ares
ditto bonz, I used zaino on both stock set and the rays, both get brake dust eventually. comes off just fine, but still comes on.

either I need to start using meguires on the rims, or stop using the brakes so much.
That would be pretty hard to do in Atlanta now wouldn't it? ha-ha.
We pretty much have to carry a "spare set" of brake pads in the trunk around here.
Old 08-27-2003 | 08:29 PM
johnsZ

brake dust- if you do not want brakes to squeak, you use really soft pads- like Mercedes (keeps the car wash guys in business, though). They make a mess, but "a Mercedes will never have squeaky brakes"- from a friend of mine that has worked for M for more than 20 years. The other advantage for the manufacturer is that you have to come in for brakes more often, and hence a much higher after market revenue stream....
Or, you use hard pads (like those from Baer, or Wilwood or Mintex or others- try Summit Racing for a selection) which do not dust up as much, but MIGHT squeak when cold or right after you wash the car and the discs rust up a bit- but this will clear up after the first stop...
Old 09-06-2003 | 08:15 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Default Easy $70 Fix

Try the Hawk brake pads or the greentstuff brake pads. You can drive over 400 miles and no brake dust.

NO joke, try them out, and they are better than the OEM.
Old 09-10-2003 | 03:27 PM
cincyspider

good grief.

The answer is so simple, I can't believe you morons couldn't figure it out.

JUST STOP BRAKING!!
Old 09-14-2003 | 03:18 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Okay, I changed the front brake pads with HAWK HPS brake pads and after braking them in properly, I have not had dust and its been 60 miles. So far so good, and no squeals.

So for all those that hate brake dust (especially after just 20 miles), then spend $70 and change them, you will be amazed.
Old 09-14-2003 | 06:06 PM
KornerCarver

I put Green Stuff pads on last weekend and am amazed how clean the wheels were after a week of driving. Before the Green Stuffs pads, I was washing the wheels every other day and they still looked dusty. The Green Stuff seem to work as well as the OEM pads and they have virtually zero dust.

If the dust bothers you, get some new pads. The install is simple and took about 45 minutes start to finish.

Les
Old 09-15-2003 | 09:15 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic
Premier Member

DITTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Academy Nissan in Colorado Springs
Old 09-15-2003 | 12:14 PM
DMONTE

Do these aftermarket brake pads squeak or squeal at all?
Old 09-15-2003 | 12:38 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic
Premier Member

60 MILES so far, no squeaks.

NOTE: I did the brake in thingy; stopping form 60-10 (8 times) after you get the brakes heated up.

I'll let you know in the long run, but I only drive my car on weekends.

Yes, yes, I am one of those weekend weenie drivers that cringe on the thought of high miles.

3 1/2 months= 800 miles so far.
Old 09-18-2003 | 04:42 PM
Yielar

Try 12,000 kms in just over 3 months. Thats 7500 miles for those yankies out there . I bought the car to drive though and won't be driving it this winter which should help with the kms.
Old 09-20-2003 | 11:45 AM
kgatesman

I zaino my rims and you can hose off most of the brake dust off the wheels.

Wiping them off with a nice clean dry towel is very east too.
Old 09-22-2003 | 12:50 AM
DMONTE

I had the HAWK HPS installed on Friday much less dust than the originals. But the second day I started getting a squeal at very slow speeds coming to a stop, I'm wondering if the young "mechanic" didn't put the silicone stuff behind the pads. When I pick up the car I looked and noticed the sensor clips are not placed properly and he had two redo them. I may have to take them apart myself just to see if he put the vibration stuff on the backing.
Old 09-26-2003 | 04:21 PM
Messana

I bought my Z 3 months ago and yes I've negected to put any wax on my rims. I clean them religously but some how I've gotten stains on the fronts. Any info on how to clean them.

lovin the Z