Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

WARNING: Clay bar and 3M Scotchcal issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 07:08 AM
broohaha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WARNING: Clay bar and 3M Scotchcal issues

I suppose I should have known better:

I have a the 3m invisible bra, which honestly came out a lot better than I expected. Most people don't even notice until I point it out.

Anyway, in preparation for my first Zaino coat, I clayed the car (at twilight). I hit the edge of the bra a couple times, thinking that I could take it off like wax later on...

I was very wrong. Once I pulled it into the garage under lights, it made the bra line very obvious. I had a VERY difficult time trying to get it off. Unlike dried wax, the clay is very malleable and would just smear accross the bra border.

I tried putting ice water and a toothbrush without much luck. Eventually managed a barely acceptable amount of removal with elbow grease.

Anyone had this problem? Any other solutions? I know it's my own fault, but it would have been a nice "Warning" on the clay container.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:41 AM
Zracer03

Never had that problem, I kept it wet enough and glided the clay right over it. I didn't push to hard and jam it into it.. Only problem I have is Zaino itself. I have a hell of a time getting the wax out of every crease and crevice on the bumper where the clear bra is. I may just stop doing the bumper. I have to sit there for hour with a toothpick, and other then the hood, it's not worth it to tape it all up.
Old 08-01-2003, 10:40 AM
broohaha

The reply is gone, but a 'supposed' zaino dealer recommended using rubbing alcohol for the clay with a cotton swab.

Zracer - In regards to your issue, I found that the polish spray (Z6) worked very well in cleaning up the edges. I was using Z2 for polish.

This begs another question about whether or not it makes sense to apply Zaino to the clear bra....