Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Griots Garage or Porter Cable Menzerna Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 07:22 AM
STL 350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Griots Garage or Porter Cable Menzerna Kit?

My Redline Z is in need of some paint correction. The condition of the paint is light swirls and medium to heavy scratches from automatic car washes from it's previous owner. There is oxidation on the mirrors and I am sure on the paint as well and there is acid rain spots where it sat outside for most of its 6 years of life. I have been using a random orbit Black and Decker buffer I have with some 3M product thats showing great results though it seems to be way to gentle and will not remove all the scratches and imperfections.

I have been looking at the Griots Garage magazine I have and I have been looking into Autogeeks Porter Cable Menzerna IP kit. What should I look into getting for my Z.

Autogeeks Menzerna kit
http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-por...shine-kit.html

Griots Garage kit
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...%26+wax+kit.do
Old 11-25-2008, 08:05 AM
jmark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out our sponsor DetailedImage.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:25 PM
BlueBoxer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless you plan on detailing multiple vehicles or vehicles on the side you will be fine with the Porter Cable for your personal needs. Pair it up with the backing plate for quicker pad exchanges and the 4in. pads for better cutting power and polish breakdowns. I would definately go with the Menzerna line:

Menzerna Power Gloss with and two orange pads.

Intensive Polish with two orange pads

Final Polish with two white pads and two finishing pads, either the blue or grey to really bring out the final touches.

I just did my pearl white Z that was neglected due to the recent move and work schedules. I had some fairly heavy swirls and some minor scratches, I would say 90% of it came out with one pass through with the PG, one IP, and then one FP on a white pad and one on a grey pad. The PG even removed all the hazing from my headlights without a problem. I topped it off with two layers of Full Molecular Jacket spread 12 hours apart and one layer of P21S Carnauba Wax, or pick up some S100 at a local Harley Davidson dealership. This combo has yet to fail me on any color or project. The rotary of Flex will cut the time it takes to do the job, but it is up to you if the extra money is worth the time saved, I always take a break inbetween products for a quick drink or snack anyways. I also recommend wiping down the car with a quick detailer inbetween products as well. If you want some pictures hit me up via PM and I will get off my lazy **** and take some. Happy detailing!!!

P.S. don't forget to that detailedimage gives us 10%, i think the code is still 10off350z, but double check, they were offering 25% off during the last weekend, but think it just expired.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:52 PM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

I have the Griot's Garage buffer in both the 6" and the 3" sizes. I use their polishes and pads and couldn't be happier. I also use the Griot's Garage clay bar and I think it is better than any of the other clay bars I have used. However, I use Zymol Creame for the wax.

Les
Old 11-25-2008, 04:15 PM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Here are some other options you may want to consider from www.detailedimage.com

Porter Cable 7424 Starter Kit $199.99
Porter Cable 7424
6" Backing Plate
1x Yellow Cutting Pad
2x Orange Light Cutting Pad
2x White Polishing Pad
2x Black Finishing Pad
2x Blue Fine Finishing Pad
3x Snappy Clean Pad Cleaner

The PC 7424 Starter Kit gives you every pad and more that you will need to complete an outstanding detail. It matches up perfectly with the polishes, sealant, etc. listed below.

Polish and Protection Starter Kit
$84.99
Clay Magic Fine Grade Clay Bar
Poorboy's World Spray and Wipe 16oz (clay lube)
Menzerna Intensive Polish
Menzerna Final Polish II
Poorboy's World EX-P
Poorboy's World Natty's Blue Paste Wax

This kit is awesome because it is all of the best values at Detailed Image. After washing the vehicle you clay bar it to help remove stubborn contaminants. This helps make the surface extremely clean and smooth. Next polish the surface with the Menzerna Intensive Polish (orange pad) and the Menzerna Final Polish II (white pad). This will help remove swirls, oxidation and fine scratches. This is the step that helps remove the most imperfections and restores a deep gloss to the paint. Next apply the Poorboy's World EX-P sealant (blue pad) to the paint for long lasting protection. This sealant protects for 3 - 6 months and makes the paint look really sharp! Lastly add that extra deep gloss with the Poorboy's World Natty's Blue Paste Wax. This will make the paint look extra deep and glossy for that really wet look.

We are also offering FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $150. If I can help you put together some products that work best for you please let me know. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 11-25-2008, 04:42 PM
Don @ Migliore
Vendor - Former Vendor

Support those who support My350Z! Detailed Image carries a bunch of great products, I would highly recommend buying from them. Their customer service is great and the shipping is very fast.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:54 PM
1cleanz

go with the porter cable kit but get it from detailed image. auto geek took 3 weeks one time to get a order sent to me.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:43 AM
ZSpectrum

neither get a flex and pad/ polishs from di.
flex random orbital
3x lc orange flat pads(6.5")
3x lc white flat pads(6.5")
2x lc black pads(6.5")
1 bottle of menzerna sip(orange)
1 bottle of menzerna 106fa or ff(white)
1 bottle of po85rd (black)

The flex offers much greater correction ability as well as much faster. It feels like a much better machine. Ive had a pc flex 3401 and flex 3403 The rotary is the best machine imo, but not for a noob.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:45 AM
ZSpectrum

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Here are some other options you may want to consider from www.detailedimage.com

Porter Cable 7424 Starter Kit $199.99
Porter Cable 7424
6" Backing Plate
1x Yellow Cutting Pad
2x Orange Light Cutting Pad
2x White Polishing Pad
2x Black Finishing Pad
2x Blue Fine Finishing Pad
3x Snappy Clean Pad Cleaner

The PC 7424 Starter Kit gives you every pad and more that you will need to complete an outstanding detail. It matches up perfectly with the polishes, sealant, etc. listed below.

Polish and Protection Starter Kit
$84.99
Clay Magic Fine Grade Clay Bar
Poorboy's World Spray and Wipe 16oz (clay lube)
Menzerna Intensive Polish
Menzerna Final Polish II
Poorboy's World EX-P
Poorboy's World Natty's Blue Paste Wax

This kit is awesome because it is all of the best values at Detailed Image. After washing the vehicle you clay bar it to help remove stubborn contaminants. This helps make the surface extremely clean and smooth. Next polish the surface with the Menzerna Intensive Polish (orange pad) and the Menzerna Final Polish II (white pad). This will help remove swirls, oxidation and fine scratches. This is the step that helps remove the most imperfections and restores a deep gloss to the paint. Next apply the Poorboy's World EX-P sealant (blue pad) to the paint for long lasting protection. This sealant protects for 3 - 6 months and makes the paint look really sharp! Lastly add that extra deep gloss with the Poorboy's World Natty's Blue Paste Wax. This will make the paint look extra deep and glossy for that really wet look.

We are also offering FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $150. If I can help you put together some products that work best for you please let me know. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Not too step on your toes, while those are great packages and very well priced, the only thing I would change is remove the yellow pad and replace it with purple foamed wool. As you know it finishes much better and doesn't marr the surface near as badly as the yellow.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:48 AM
ZSpectrum

Originally Posted by Don @ Migliore
Support those who support My350Z! Detailed Image carries a bunch of great products, I would highly recommend buying from them. Their customer service is great and the shipping is very fast.
I agree, I was one of the lucky few who won the migliore wax. I strongly recommend it. IMO it fares very well to much more expensive waxes. I few that I personally own are swissvax mystery($579) and Chemical guys E-zyme($274)
Its not as durable as those, but in the looks department its outstanding.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:49 AM
ZSpectrum

Originally Posted by KornerCarver
I have the Griot's Garage buffer in both the 6" and the 3" sizes. I use their polishes and pads and couldn't be happier. I also use the Griot's Garage clay bar and I think it is better than any of the other clay bars I have used. However, I use Zymol Creame for the wax.

Les
you should try something besides the griots clay its junk. Try the cg blue bar, riccardo, or even the clay magic blue. The griots buffer is really just a pc, you'll find you will be much happier with some better polishes such as menzerna.