Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Need help getting stains off my rims

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 03:18 PM
TripelBlack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help getting stains off my rims

Help, I used the Meguiars stuff on my rims and I can not get this yellow stain off now.

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails Need help getting stains off my rims-41ennajnfzl__ss500_.jpg   Need help getting stains off my rims-100_0598.jpg   Need help getting stains off my rims-100_0599.jpg   Need help getting stains off my rims-100_0601.jpg   Need help getting stains off my rims-100_0600.jpg  

Old 07-27-2009, 04:30 PM
freedonutss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried claybar?
Old 07-27-2009, 05:34 PM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Did you let the wheel cleaner dry on your wheels? I've never seen that kind of stain from wheel cleaner. Those wheels look awfully dirty. Maybe the stain was on the wheels before you applied the wheel cleaner.

Last edited by KornerCarver; 07-27-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:55 PM
Toby-22

hmm dont know wat to tell u sorry

but u could prep it and just paint, or better yet sell those ugly wheels and buy aftermarket
Old 07-27-2009, 05:55 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The OEM wheels are painted just like the car. I recommend:

a. Rinse

b. Spray bottle with 50/50 solution of Mr. Clean/water. Spray liberally and let sit for 5 minutes

c. Agitate with a mitt.

For the inside of the wheels use a special purpose long brush.

Each spoke has 3 square indentations. I use a tooth brush.
d. Rinse
e. Dry with leaf blower

f. Wax
Old 07-27-2009, 06:22 PM
TripelBlack

Originally Posted by KornerCarver
Did you let the wheel cleaner dry on your wheels? I've never seen that kind of stain from wheel cleaner. Those wheels look awfully dirty. Maybe the stain was on the wheels before you applied the wheel cleaner.

I thought I washed it off, but its only on 2 of my tires, so I am thinking I forgot to wash it off of the wheels its stained on. They are a little dirty (I did wash them yesterday). Im positive the staining came as a result of using the cleaner.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:23 PM
TripelBlack

Originally Posted by freedonutss
Have you tried claybar?
Not yet... think it will work?
Old 07-27-2009, 06:51 PM
freedonutss

It might. Before, I was a beginner at washing cars i was using that stuff and if you dont rinse it off fully itll leave bad stains. You can try diluting some simple green and see if thats powerful enough to get it off but be warned it could damage your wheels.

Contact these guys http://www.detailedimage.com/

They can help you
Old 07-28-2009, 10:41 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Sorry to hear about the marks. However the good news is I'm pretty confident you should be able to remove them. You could simply try to just clean them again with the Megs stuff or try a pH neutral cleaner like the P21S Wheel Gel or the Chemical Guys Sticky Gel Citrus Wheel Cleaner - 16 oz. Let the cleaner sit for about 1 - 2 minutes tops and agitate the stains with a sponge or clean microfiber towel. Try to avoid using them in direct sun or around really high temperatures. Make sure you didn't just drive the vehicle and try to make sure the vehicle was previously in the shade before beginning.

If this does not work then I would use a metal polish to clean the surface with. The P21S Finish Restorer - 75 ml works very well on that finish. It helps remove stains, oxidation, brake dust, etc.

If desired you can protect the surface with a sealant like the Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant - 8 oz. It provides a barrier between your wheels and the environment that helps make future cleanings much easier.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 07-28-2009, 12:31 PM
TripelBlack

Thanks for the advise, just ordered Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant and Chemical Guys Sticky Gel Citrus Wheel Cleaner-hoping this stuff will cut down the amount of brake dust I get on my rims, and they are very hard to clean.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Sorry to hear about the marks. However the good news is I'm pretty confident you should be able to remove them. You could simply try to just clean them again with the Megs stuff or try a pH neutral cleaner like the P21S Wheel Gel or the Chemical Guys Sticky Gel Citrus Wheel Cleaner - 16 oz. Let the cleaner sit for about 1 - 2 minutes tops and agitate the stains with a sponge or clean microfiber towel. Try to avoid using them in direct sun or around really high temperatures. Make sure you didn't just drive the vehicle and try to make sure the vehicle was previously in the shade before beginning.

If this does not work then I would use a metal polish to clean the surface with. The P21S Finish Restorer - 75 ml works very well on that finish. It helps remove stains, oxidation, brake dust, etc.

If desired you can protect the surface with a sealant like the Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant - 8 oz. It provides a barrier between your wheels and the environment that helps make future cleanings much easier.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 07-29-2009, 05:09 PM
BlueBoxer

CG Sticky Wheel Cleaner is great, don't spray it on a wheel that is too wet, sometimes that dilutes it too much, I tend to spray it on a near dry wheel and let it sit for about 30 seconds and rinse. Leaves my polished lips looking great.