Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

How many times to your wash your Z?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Kirbaaybaayy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many times to your wash your Z?

how many times to you wash your Z a week and what soap or wax do you use i want the best
Old 08-28-2009, 09:51 PM
poolguy

This is not something that you want to just post on the calander to do every saturday. To have a top notch car you need to look over your car and judge on when it needs to be cleaned. I am not just talking about a little bird poop spot either. The right time is when the surface becomes a little rough evenly spread over the surface. One way to tell is by seeing a heavier film of dust or see water marks on your car, and so on. The more you wash your car the higher chance of creating swirls (Micro scratches). For my first wash ever (The very first one before I properly take care of the car) I use a washed out mix of dish soap and water. I make this as mild as can be since too much is not good for your paint. After that I use an suto shampoo from Poor Boys with a foaming gun.

There is a certain way to wash a car to lessen the chance of swirls. The wash and drying step is key in keeping a great looking car. It is also the step that 90% of people do wrong. In my opinion it is harder than clay baring the car. But then again, I am **** about my cars. You may not be.

Last edited by poolguy; 08-28-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:59 PM
tw8715

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i love my car!

im sure everyone here does lol

but i wash average once a week. sometimes twice if im going somewhere speacial!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! haha
Old 08-28-2009, 10:23 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Its really simple.. Wash it when its dirty. DO NOT use dish soap detergent under any circumstances... An automotive soap works better and doesnt strip wax. Try to wash the Z under shade to avoid water spots... Only use a Chamois or a quality Micro Fiber cloth to dry the vehicle. NEVER let the sponge,mitt, or brush that u use on the paint to hit the ground.. no matter how many times u rinse it, it'll always have debris in it. That same rule applies to Chamois too.. u shouldnt use the same chamois to dry the rims. Clean the tires thoroughly.. On rims I only use soap and water, no cleaners. i use low gloss tire dressing and wipe the excess after 30min application. As for the waxing... It all depends on what is easier for u to use. Some waxes are superior to others... Cleaner waxes, polishes, sealants are all used in different circumstances. Follow the wax instructions.. I usually use 3M, Meguires', or Griot Garage products. I'm a HUGE fan of clay bars.. but only if ur 100% sure u know what ur doing, u can do serious harm to paint by using it incorrectly.... To answer ur question once every week (its usually dirty), The inside is done 2-3 times a week, Wax about 3 months.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:58 PM
poolguy

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
Its really simple.. Wash it when its dirty. DO NOT use dish soap detergent under any circumstances... An automotive soap works better and doesnt strip wax. Try to wash the Z under shade to avoid water spots... Only use a Chamois or a quality Micro Fiber cloth to dry the vehicle. NEVER let the sponge,mitt, or brush that u use on the paint to hit the ground.. no matter how many times u rinse it, it'll always have debris in it. That same rule applies to Chamois too.. u shouldnt use the same chamois to dry the rims. Clean the tires thoroughly.. On rims I only use soap and water, no cleaners. i use low gloss tire dressing and wipe the excess after 30min application. As for the waxing... It all depends on what is easier for u to use. Some waxes are superior to others... Cleaner waxes, polishes, sealants are all used in different circumstances. Follow the wax instructions.. I usually use 3M, Meguires', or Griot Garage products. I'm a HUGE fan of clay bars.. but only if ur 100% sure u know what ur doing, u can do serious harm to paint by using it incorrectly.... To answer ur question once every week (its usually dirty), The inside is done 2-3 times a week, Wax about 3 months.
You probably said that due to my post. However I only use that VERY mild mix once per car before I start taking care of it. That is it! I use it to strip the wax so I can start fresh. Meaning wash, clay, polish, seal, wax; then follow my detail schedule (Which does not include another dish soap wash for as long as I own the car).

Also, once you are done rinsing off the car. Use the water sheet method. Meaning use free flowing water out of the hose and start on the top middle of the car and shee the water towards the sides/bottom. It will eliminate water spots and quicken the drting process. Also when drying do not wipe the towel, simply pat dry. Use a new micro fiber towel though not some "old" rag.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:29 PM
aRYip

i wash my car 2-3 per week but only @ coin wash since i live in condo.
i use only water, no soap, no wax etc @ coin wash, then dry it by Micro Fiber cloth...
1 cloth for body
1 cloth for wheel
1 cloth for window

and give a full detail when there is no wax on @ my frd house (so i can wash my car by hand)
usually, i wash -> dry -> clean interior, dash, seat, mat etc while waiting the car cool down -> clay bar -> wash -> dry -> wax -> done.
this full detail usually take me over 8 hours to do.

Last edited by aRYip; 08-28-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:15 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome. Detailing help is in the detailing forum. We put it there so that new members will have a hard time finding it. So far I think we are doing a stellar job.

Last edited by davidv; 08-29-2009 at 03:20 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:44 AM
Kirbaaybaayy

Originally Posted by davidv
Welcome. Detailing help is in the detailing forum. We put it there so that new members will have a hard time finding it. So far I think we are doing a stellar job.
haha ya i searched the forums and didnt find any thing soo i just posted it here
Old 08-29-2009, 02:01 PM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wash when necessary, or when the birds bomb the Z & a quick detailer & MF are no longer getting it done.

Start on the wheels with 2 buckets (1 for rinsing & 1 for the car shampoo) and a grit guard, make sure you have dedicated washing mitts for each job & a good wheel brush. Wash each wheel 2 times & move the car forward or backwards approx 12" to get the dirty part close to the ground. I use a quality product from Chemical Guys, like wheel & rim cleaner premium blue, or maybe even light degreaser from Chemical Guys or, simple green diluted at 8:1 strength ( make sure the product you use is safe for your wheels to prevent damage 7 staining). Pre-treat before start of the wheels; wash the wheels & rims 2 times. Rinse with garden hose.

Pre treat paint with bug tar product if nec.

Make sure you have changed out the water & shampoo in the 2 buckets, use the dedicated wash mitts for the paint & make sure you are indoors or in the shade. Start from the top and lightly rinse car and start on the roof & do the front & back glass, rinse. I start on the driver’s door and work forward to the fender and half of the hood and the front fascia, rinse before the auto shampoo has a chance to dry. If you use more than 1 dedicated wash mitt rotate & throw the 1 you were just using into the rinse bucket, start on the other side of the hood, fender and door. Rinse again with garden hose and toss the 2nd mitt in the rinse water and run both mitts over the grit guard, to release any contaminants. On the passenger’s side again with the windows & the rear quarter panel and rear deck & rinse, rotate your wash mitt in the rinse bucket and do the driver’s side & quarter panel and rear deck. If nec. go over the complete bottom of the car & each wheel well, might as well get all the glass again too.
Change out the water & shampoo in both buckets and repeat the entire process again. when the car is washed 2 times rinse with the garden hose from the top of the car to get sheeting action, use a CLEAN high quality MF towel, better yet a waffle weave MF towel and start drying from the top to the bottom of the car. If you have access to a (leaf blower, air compressor, or portable air dryer) use to blow out the standing water on the wheels, mirrors, hamburger and all areas where water is not easy to get to. Toss the waffle weave towel or high quality MF towel in the rinse water and grab another. Open the hatch and each door and wipe down these areas, I choose to open & close each door multiple times to insure I get out as much water as possible. Wipe down the kick plates and rubber gaskets and door seals and gaskets as well as all painted surfaces. Make sure you ONLY use the MF towels you used for the hatch, doors sills and kick plates for these DEDICATED jobs now.

This is only the process for washing the car, search online here on this forum for dedicated process for everything from engine compartment detail, glass cleaning, interior detail, carpets & cloth seats, leather seats, using clay bars ect.

Good luck, take some time and you won’t be disappointed with your work.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:30 PM
davidv

Originally Posted by Kirbaaybaayy
haha ya i searched the forums and didnt find any thing soo i just posted it here
LOL. Pick a method that works best for you.

I wash the wheels and tires first. Fresh bucket and mitt for the car. The wheel mitt is for the wheels only.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:36 PM
davidv

I have a confession. 40 years of car washing and I love dish washing soap. Cannot resist the bubbles.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:05 PM
Kirbaaybaayy

I have a confession. 40 years of car washing and I love dish washing soap. Cannot resist the bubbles.
haha i never have used dish soap because i heard it is bad but doesnt it seem like i would clean i good because all the bubbles lol
Old 08-30-2009, 02:53 PM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Proabably work good for a spechul buBBle bath also.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:58 PM
67ZNISMO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

washing is something I do once a week because I dd my Z. I'm currently use poor boys super slick & suds shampoo (works great, orange scent - lot of bubbles!). For wax, I switch from Pinnacle Souveran and P21 (easy to apply and remove, great durability and gloss)
Old 08-30-2009, 03:56 PM
poolguy

Originally Posted by 67ZNISMO
washing is something I do once a week because I dd my Z. I'm currently use poor boys super slick & suds shampoo (works great, orange scent - lot of bubbles!). For wax, I switch from Pinnacle Souveran and P21 (easy to apply and remove, great durability and gloss)
Great Choice!
Old 08-30-2009, 04:09 PM
MDHRZ

Works good when you need to get old wax and crap off. After that just clay, wash again with car wash, polish, and wax again.

Last edited by MDHRZ; 08-30-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:42 PM
Anomaly

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

That's the wrong Ajax.

I wash my Z about 1x per week using either Duragloss, Meg's NXT or Gold Class, or occasionally ONR.