Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Soaps that actually CLEAN the car ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 05:01 AM
Adon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 350ZTheStandard
You need to re-wash the entire car after the clay bar & do it in the shade. You can read the how to's on: www.detailedimage.com

Good ruck
I always wash my car after sundown out of direct sunlight, so I wouldn't dare clay bar anytime before. When I clay bared it the first day, I soaped the whole car up and elbow greased like a madman with Dove degreasing soap since I know Clay Bar leaves residue...

I clay bared and washed last night at 11 pm in my garage so the work is being done right I know how to do it, it's just nothing has been effective so far the paint is difficult to work with.

Quaker I will print out that response from Autopia you posted for me and give it to the detailing shop I'm going to today, it's really helpful. I am going to try one last time dealing with it myself, will use a few different degreasers and bug/tar removers but will be trying it with a pressure washer as a last resort.

as for the greasy hazy water mark looking crap all over the car I realized that it's not just left over Showtime Lubricant spray, it's mostly goo left over from the actual Clay Bar.... which sucks

Last edited by Adon; 09-12-2009 at 05:04 AM.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:17 AM
Adon

what I just realized was that I need a car wash I can pick up off the shelf that is harsh enough to strip wax.... the residue that the Clay Bar left on the car is actually really wax like, and I knew from the beginning I was never allowed to wax my car.... now I know why, I need a car wash formula that will strip wax off the paint, in all the ones I've seen under the description it always says it "Will not strip wax off the paint"

what do you suggest ?

Last edited by Adon; 09-12-2009 at 05:20 AM.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:25 AM
RED RIDER

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal
Did you guys not read why he cannot go with something abrasive such as menzerna? He can only use the pc to apply a paint cleaner or wax using something like menzerna would not work as it'll just make the satin/flat clear coat glossy again..
uhhh no..my bad..itwas LATE when I posted..musta been seeing crosseyed!
Old 09-12-2009, 05:52 AM
Adon

I'm gonna try this, I've used it before it's pretty hardcore stuff... as long as you mix it properly with water and dont let it sit on the paint it can strip off a lot of **** including wax... will post results after I do it tonight or tomorrow, I'm pretty sure it will do the trick.

http://www.walmart.ca/Canada-Automot...d=317&tabId=14
Old 09-12-2009, 05:58 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Adon,
I've always read Dawn was strong enough to remove wax...at least from regular paint.

You also try distilled vinegar or rubbing alcohol as a water spot remover.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:01 AM
Adrians07Z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Adon
Adrian, I tried Turtle Wax polishing compound on one area of my hood before to get off ink, and I would not want to use it again, as it left abrasive swirl marks that are minor, but still there.... I will give that a try tomorrow but using moderate pressure since I don't want any more swirl marks

this is the one right here

if that doesn't work, I will panic and give up on this satin ********, it's been a shltstorm trying to keep the car clean since the day it came out the body shop, Jay Z might have the right idea, go with a regular clear, lol
damn .. that turtle wax stuff is some aggressive $hit ... its also old school compared to the new "rubbing compounds" that are out since its gritty

we use the 3m line of rubbing compounds / polish at work .. they dont have any abrasives in them .. basically they work off chemicals ..

but I'd try everything first before buffing the car b/c I'm not sure if it'll turn the satin clear glossy or not

as for the water spots .. they'll come off .. just need to wash it in the shade .. never wash a car, buff, wax, anything in the sun or when the car is hot

I stick mine in the garage or shade and hose it down till its cold
Old 09-12-2009, 07:32 AM
quakerroatmeal

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Adon sometimes if you're not using enough lubricate while claying it will marr the paint which can't be good causing clay to stick to the paint.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:44 AM
shaun123

next time when claybarring your car, instead of using spray detailer use this method as it has always worked for me and hasnt caused any extra marring or swirls to the clear coat. Try using chemical guys citrus wash & clear soap for this.

-Wash the car
-dry
-make a new bucket of soapy wash water, put your hand down in it and rub the tip of your thumb against the tip of your index finger, should be very slick, if it is not, add more soap until it is (you'll feel what im talking about)
-use a new clean sponge and dip it in the soap and apply to the paint in a 2'x2' area and then start claying the car
-after completing the 2x2 area, run the sponge over the area to get rid of the clay residue (if any) off the paint, then hose off the area as to not let the soap stay on the area too long
-continue until you finish the car

Notes:
remember to use the soapy water liberally as to create a very slick surface and to remove the residue quickly after finishing the area and hose the soap off. Keep the car wet and work in the shade on a cool paint surface

try this out and see how it works for you.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:35 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

what you guys think would do the trick ?
Here is another crazy idea - call the shop that did the paint work and ask what their experiences are with this special paint.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:22 PM
shaun123

^^ I think he already talked to the shop that painted the car and they were of no help, see quote

I never really got any feedback from my body shop guy on how to properly clean it and maintain it, he didnt know either, he paints drift cars and crashes them more often than he washes them I don't think he is too concerned about show car finish and maintenence....
Old 09-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Adon

CASTROL SUPERCLEAN FTW

like I said I used this before with success, and it didn't fail me.... I tested on a small area on my sideskirt where I had very sticky baked on road tar that I couldnt remove even when I tried picking it off with my nail!!!
I sprayed this on, waited about 5 seconds and that shlt got degreased with just two swipes!

and I tested it on the hood and finally swiped off all that waxy residue left over from the claybar and showtime spray...

the only real danger I know this shlt is pretty strong but it is bio degradable and it says it's safe to use as long as you wash it off with plenty of soap and water

so you guys need some tough cleaner hit up the Wal Mart and pick this up, thats where I got it...

thanks for everyones help and feedback I appreciate it

Last edited by Adon; 09-18-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:28 PM
Don @ Migliore
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
Adon,
I've always read Dawn was strong enough to remove wax...at least from regular paint.

You also try distilled vinegar or rubbing alcohol as a water spot remover.
Hi Adon,

I know you've already had success, but these routes will both work.

Although, I would recommend a auto wash made solely to strip and prep the paint. Take a look at Chemical Guys Citrus Wash, it can be had through Detailed Image.

I wouldn't recommend applying another polish or wax as it seems the problem in the product getting stuck in the porous paint.

Last edited by Don @ Migliore; 09-14-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:11 PM
Adon

^ yea Don, I always knew I couldnt apply anything waxy or anything that polishes or brings gloss out on a paint job, and that eliminated about 90% of the products I can find off the shelf.

It totally escaped my mind that clay bars are on the waxy side, it almost screwed me over.... from now on, just good old soap and hot water..

I will definitely pick up something on special order like the citrus wash you recommended
Old 09-23-2009, 11:39 AM
ZSpectrum

what I just realized was that I need a car wash I can pick up off the shelf that is harsh enough to strip wax.... the residue that the Clay Bar left on the car is actually really wax like, and I knew from the beginning I was never allowed to wax my car.... now I know why, I need a car wash formula that will strip wax off the paint, in all the ones I've seen under the description it always says it "Will not strip wax off the paint"

what do you suggest ?
chemical guys citrus wash and clear. Use at the stripping dilution **** will get serous.