Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

A Few Details I've Done

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 01:16 PM
always_wright
Addicted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Few Details I've Done

There's nothing better than the feeling of super smooth paint. I love detailing, so I thought I'd throw a few before and after pics up here of a couple of cars/trucks I've done. I use a Porter Cable 7424 Buffer.

First off: 2008 Ford F-150 King Ranch
-- My friend's truck that they're trying to sale, it was pelted with tons of bugs, the leather needed help, and the paint didn't have a smidge of wax on it. However, there weren't many scratches, so there wasn't a lot of correcting to be done.

Exterior:
Started off with Meguiar's Gold Class Wash, two bucket method using Sheepskin Mitt and used a blower to finish drying. Just some moderate "haze", and I used Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze with a LC White Polishing Pad over the entire truck, and I hit the front with claybar and Menzerna Power Finish with a Lake Country Light Cutting Orange Pad, and finished up with the Finishing Touch Glaze and White Polishing Pad.

^ Bugs, many were etched into the paint.

^ Didn't have a good gloss to the paint.

Interior:
As for the interior, the leather didn't look to be very conditioned, had a few scuffs, etc. The vinyl was dirty, along with the carpet. But it wasn't too bad. I used Lexol Leather Cleaner to clean the leather, and conditioned with [IMG]Lexol Leather Conditioner[/IMG]. I used 303 Aerospace Protectant for cleaning/protecting the vinyl.

^ Scuffed and dirty leather.

^ Same as above.

^ And again.

^ Dirt panels.

Afters

Next: 2007 Dodge Ram 2500
I didn't get any before pictures, however, this trucks paint was equal to that of sand paper. No joke. My Uncle had waxed half of it, sealing in the dirt. The road he lives on was being torn up and laid down powedered cement, so it was all over the truck.

Exterior:
I went over the entire truck with Meguiar's Claybar, and used Chemical Guys Speed Wipe as a lube. I don't like this product as a clay lube, however I really like it as a quick detailer. However, it did the job, it just turned my hands pink, but did wash off. I think went over the hood which had horrible scratches (from rubbing in wax with dirt on the paint) with Menzerna Power Finish and LC Orange Cutting pad (as above on the Ford), then finished up with Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze and a LC White Polishing Pad. I think went over the entire truck with Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze and a LC White Polishing Pad, before finishing up with Meguiar's Gold Class Wax.

Finally: Get_Zwole's 2006 Z
He brought me his Z in good shape, just a little dirty. Not many scratches in the paint, just a bit of haze. So she just needed some help to make her have a deep gloss again. I also cleaned and conditinoed the leather along with vacuuming. Nonetheless, he was super impressed with the results (as were the truck owners).

Exterior:
Started off with Meguiar's Gold Class Wash, two bucket method using Sheepskin Mitt and used a blower to finish drying. I then claybarred, using Chemical Guys Synthetic Quick Detailer as a lube. I definitely like this lube better than the previous, but it is also great for quick detailing. The Z had a moderate amount of dirt in the paint, but nothing too bad! The Z also just needed some depth and gloss brought back into the paint, so I hit the entire car with the same combo of Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze and a LC White Polishing pad. I then used Chemical Guys Jet Seal, applied with a Lake Country Black Finishing Pad, and I did two coats. I then did two coats of Meguiar's Gold Class Wax, allowing 12 hours between each coat.
For the tires I dressed them with Chemical Guys Fade 2 Black, and I love this stuff -- it does not sling, and adds a deep depth. I also used Fade 2 Black on all black trim, black plastic in the engine bay.

Interior:
I used the same products as above on the King Ranch, Lexol Cleaner and Conditioner, and 303 Aerospace on the vinyl inside.

Before Pictures:

After Pictures:

----
I order all of my supplies from Detailed Image, they have great prices, quick shipping. I enjoyed doing the Z the most, obviously, and that is my PPW in the background. I hope to get it done within the next few weeks. It has spiderwebs that I haven't had the time to fix yet, so hopefully I can get some good before and after pictures!
Old 09-27-2009, 10:50 PM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are doing some nice work, with the pc and products. I too get great pricing, products and attention from detailed image. I am making bonus $$$$$, doing work that I enjoy. Maybe this week i will get a chance to work on my Z.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:09 AM
always_wright
Addicted

Thanks! Yes, I love DI. But I really like Chemical Guys products (realized this when I started making my list of what I used!). Yes, I hope to do my car soon!
Old 09-28-2009, 01:32 PM
shaun123

Cars look good, keep up the good work.

Using some good products there and working the hell out of your PC, huh? Your work speaks for itself. Nicely done.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:09 PM
always_wright
Addicted

Thanks, and yes, that dang PC is getting a good workout!
About time to switch to the Makita, as soon as I have the money.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:46 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Great work bringing them all back to life! You are going to love the Makita when you pick it up. Keep up the hard work.

Greg @ DI
Old 09-29-2009, 03:20 PM
67ZNISMO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, you really have a lot of time to work on trucks that size...with a PC!!!? great job man!
Old 09-29-2009, 04:20 PM
always_wright
Addicted

Woman

And yes, it took me about two days on each of them, 12 hours at a time.
It doesn't help that I'm a perfectionist, haha. I definitely enjoyed the Z, small!