Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Help!!!! I Might Have Ruined My Paint!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 03:42 PM
BlueDragonZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Help!!!! I Might Have Ruined My Paint!!!!

I decided to use 3M scratch remover on my Z today. I'm preming her for CG. Anyways, I applied to the whole entire vehicle. I've got all of it removed except for the front and back bumpers. When I started to remove it from the front bumper, I wasn't getting the elastrious shine as the rest of the car. WTF?? I tried the back bumber and it's the same. The only thing that I can think of is because by this time the sun has set and the temp. was getting cool. I'm thinking this might have an effect on it. ???? Hopefully my theory is correct. I will do another application on the bumpers tomorrow when the temp is much hotter. Has anyone else encountered this??? If so what was your remedy??? Please, anyone with knowledge of this HELP!!!! Thanks in advance.
Old 11-01-2003, 04:36 PM
nosuchsol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3M is an abrasive - I've also never heard of anyone doing the entire car like a wax. Did you just do spots or do the whole car then start buffing?
Old 11-01-2003, 06:09 PM
HokieZ

The scratch remover is usually step 1 in a 3 step process. Followed by a polish then a glaze/wax/sealant. I used it on my bumper because it was dull from the factory but then buffed it with a paint cleaner and then polish, then Zaino and it shines like the rest now.

Why'd you use it on the entire car?
Old 11-01-2003, 06:20 PM
___DJK___

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, unless you were driving through a hurricane, I cant imagine why you would use scratch remover on the whole car. I wouldnt use that stuff on your car anymore except in small quantities on noticible scratches. Try using a claybar instead and then applying your choice of polish.
Old 11-01-2003, 09:02 PM
BlueDragonZ

I've applied it throughout the entire vehicle where it was needed. I had to apply a lot of spots on the front bumber because it was the hardes hit along with some in the back. I was removing scratches first where I could notice them throughout the vehicle. I am following it by CG. I'll probably washing it with Dawn first tomorrow along with a clay bar. I just hope this stuff comes out.
Old 11-02-2003, 11:58 AM
Kevin Overall

First what EXACT 3M product are you using? is it the 3M Swirl Mark Remover part number 39009? If you are using this product or another 3M product that has abrasives, you DO NOT EVER let the product dry on the surface, ever.... It should be removed wet....

It sounds like you let it set on the paint way, way too long, if you have and its not coming off like you said, you need to reapply such 3M on the parts where the old 3M is not wanting to come off and rub the product into the paint thourghly and then remove before dry, doing so should remove the previous 3M application that you did not get off in the first place.

The only time I use abrasives by hand is when I am working on a very small area, the rest of the time I use an orbital Porter Cable buffer and pads from www.lakecountrymfg.com I use the white pad for the 3M Swirl Mark Remover.

Check this out for tips: http://www.properautocare.com/remswiruspor.html
Old 11-02-2003, 12:04 PM
BlueDragonZ

Originally posted by Kevin Overall
First what EXACT 3M product are you using? is it the 3M Swirl Mark Remover part number 39009? If you are using this product or another 3M product that has abrasives, you DO NOT EVER let the product dry on the surface, ever.... It should be removed wet....

It sounds like you let it set on the paint way, way too long, if you have and its not coming off like you said, you need to reapply such 3M on the parts where the old 3M is not wanting to come off and rub the product into the paint thourghly and then remove before dry, doing so should remove the previous 3M application that you did not get off in the first place.

The only time I use abrasives by hand is when I am working on a very small area, the rest of the time I use an orbital Porter Cable buffer and pads from www.lakecountrymfg.com I use the white pad for the 3M Swirl Mark Remover.

Check this out for tips: http://www.properautocare.com/remswiruspor.html

Thanks, I was going to try this first before trying to clay bar it. Do you think this ruined the clear coat?
Old 11-02-2003, 12:15 PM
Kevin Overall

Originally posted by BlueDragonZ
Thanks, I was going to try this first before trying to clay bar it. Do you think this ruined the clear coat?
Please answer my question about what EXACT (part number) 3M product you used....

I can't tell much unless I know what you used...
Old 11-02-2003, 12:20 PM
BlueDragonZ

Please answer my question about what EXACT (part number) 3M product you used....

I can't tell much unless I know what you used...
Sorry, I don't know the exact part number right now because I'm currently at work but it's for minor scratch and swirl remover.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:23 PM
Kevin Overall

Get the part number and emial me directly and I will help you out...
Old 11-02-2003, 12:40 PM
BlueDragonZ

Get the part number and emial me directly and I will help you out...
I just called the store that I bought it from and it's part number 03901.
Old 11-02-2003, 01:30 PM
afr0puff

I think I may have done the same thing . Except I am only having this problem on my clear bra. And I definitely let the 3M product (39009) dry on the bra. I can only notice a problem at night. I put a couple of coats of Z-5 on. It helped a little, but it still fairly obvious. What is your e-mail address?
Old 11-02-2003, 05:41 PM
Kevin Overall

I just called the store that I bought it from and it's part number 03901.

Doing a search on the 3M web site www.mmm.com I get noting, but that number is in my memory as the 3M stuff sold only at places like WalMart and is called 3M Restorer Wax or something like that, I would not use that product.

You need to use 3M Swirl Mark Remover part number 39009 for minor touch up repairs or buffing swirls from the entire surface. You can get this product thru NAPA or Pep boys.

Try to use the 39009 to solve the problem areas from where the other 3M product has messed up the paint.
Old 11-02-2003, 05:43 PM
Kevin Overall

Originally posted by afr0puff
I think I may have done the same thing . Except I am only having this problem on my clear bra. And I definitely let the 3M product (39009) dry on the bra. I can only notice a problem at night. I put a couple of coats of Z-5 on. It helped a little, but it still fairly obvious. What is your e-mail address?

koverall@cddn.com
Old 11-02-2003, 05:54 PM
BlueDragonZ

I tried the 03901 again and immediately removed it and it came of easily including the old stuff. However, it's not as shiny anymore. My roommate has Meguirs scratch remover and she said that this worked well on her Vette. She said that it even had a shine after the removal. I tried it on a small spot and guess what ???? It removed the 3M with a bright shine. It looks like this might do the trick. I wasn't able to actually do it tonight so I'll get this done tomorrow. I guess I really left it on there too long. Kevin, do you know anything about this product. Would the 39009 be a better solution as opposed to the Meguirs? Thanks again for all your help.
Old 11-03-2003, 04:59 AM
BillR

If you apply that by hand, you will lose some gloss. 3M Swirl remover and a Porter Cable polisher will return 100% of the shine and luster. Plus it will really prep your paint for whatever "wax" you decide on. Proper surface prep is the key to deep, wet look shine.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:32 AM
Kevin Overall

I tried the 03901 again and immediately removed it and it came of easily including the old stuff. However, it's not as shiny anymore. My roommate has Meguirs scratch remover and she said that this worked well on her Vette. She said that it even had a shine after the removal. I tried it on a small spot and guess what ???? It removed the 3M with a bright shine. It looks like this might do the trick. I wasn't able to actually do it tonight so I'll get this done tomorrow. I guess I really left it on there too long. Kevin, do you know anything about this product. Would the 39009 be a better solution as opposed to the Meguirs? Thanks again for all your help.
I prefer the 39009 way over the Scratch X, the 39009 when worked into the paint well will leave a gloss, but no matter if you use the X or 39009 your not done, your final step needs to be polishing and/or waxing with a final product for the best shine.

Using this stuff by hand is just a band aid, your best bet is to get an orbital buffer and foam pads if you want to see the best, even results...
Old 11-03-2003, 08:11 AM
Kevin Overall

I found the product you are using, link below. Its rubbing compound, no wonder you thought you ruined the paint, rubbing compound is WAY too strong to use on a car with good gloss from the factory.

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...er/output_html
Old 11-03-2003, 10:33 AM
BlueDragonZ

Thumbs up

Thank for all your help. I went ahead and used the Scratch X and got some good results. At this point I'm going to apply Crystal Guard to protect the finish. If this stuff doesn't work like it should (MaxHax said it will ) I can always order Zaino from you. Thanks again.
Old 11-09-2003, 06:38 PM
BlueDragonZ

I've managed to remove the damage that the 3M did on the bumpers with the Scratch X. I applied a coat of CG Pro with great results. Of course my bumpers will never look the same. I guess the clear coat is gone. I also still found some scratches on the back bumper. I can't get to them now because of the CG application and I don't know how to remove just the CG on the bumpers.

Quick Reply: Help!!!! I Might Have Ruined My Paint!!!!