Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Melted/mushy-like wax

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 04:17 PM
MikeBit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Melted/mushy-like wax

Hey guys, did a search on this and didn't find anything. I recently ordered Poorboy's Natty Blue Paste Wax, and had it shipped to me. I received it today, and I wanted to immediately check its contents. When I opened it, the wax was not smooth and even like it's supposed to be. It appears the wax all around the edges of the tin had melted, and it's as if I have an island of wax in the middle of the tin that appears to have started to melt but didn't do so completely. Is this wax still ok? How can I turn it back to normal?

Old 08-13-2010, 04:47 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That is not good.

Figure shipping at some point in a metal container. Temperatures can reach 140 degrees. Wax is often whipped with air to give it a creamy consistency. Yours is flat. Dried out.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:57 PM
350z00m

mine was the same.. so i put it boiling water and let it sit a for a few min and ... BAM!!! back to how it should be and it works just fine 8)... dont worry aout the look tho.....it hasnt changed how it works or the contents of the wax.

Last edited by 350z00m; 08-13-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:57 PM
MikeBit

So it's no good at all?? Do you think my local Pepboys or Autozone sells this stuff? Wow... this is truly a burnout. Thanks Dave.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:59 PM
MikeBit

Originally Posted by 350z00m
mine was the same.. so i put it boiling water and let it sit a for a few min and ... BAM!!! back to how it should be and it works just fine 8)
How did you do this exactly? Please explain....... also, wouldn't melting the wax be detrimental to the wax's contents? We're talking chemicals here....
Old 08-13-2010, 10:14 PM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It sounds like he basically just boiled a pot of water and then put the container in the water, which allows the wax to heat up and "re-set".

As far as the "we're talking chemicals here"... it's just wax, bro. Try the water suggestion (I would personally take the pot off and wait for the water to stop boiling before putting the container in just to be sure) and see how it goes.

At this point you either try to change the consistency of the wax or throw it away, imo.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:05 PM
MikeBit

Thank you Cheshire, I will give the boil a shot tonight and let it cool in the refrigerator over night. I'll make sure to mix it up good when it's in liquid form. I'm sure the wax is fine.... they wouldn't be shipping wax if all consumers get is this, and there's no way to use it. I'll let you guys know how this goes. I can't wait to polish my KH3 350Z, seriously. I've got swirls everywhere it's an eyesore.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:07 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank god you didn't try to put your genitalia inside.

LOL
Old 08-14-2010, 06:21 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Sorry to hear the wax showed up like that. However the product should still be fine to use as is. You can try the warm water method if you want the appearance to be more normal looking but it's not necessary. You only need a tiny bit on your applicator so just a nice light coating on the applicator and buff on a nice thin coating. It should still provide strong protection and a great shine. If you notice any problems with the performance you should let us know.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:29 AM
MikeBit

I know it might not have been necessary but I feel like that texture is telling me the contents of the wax were no longer properly mixed. So I decided to do the heating method and I have to say I'm quite pleased. Here's a rundown of what I did:

1. Take a pan and pour in about an inch of water. Heat the water until it starts to boil, and then turn off the gas.

2. Place the tin of wax inside the water (if you want it to melt quicker you have the option of leaving the cap on, loose cap of course so that you can easily remove it to check what's going on). Let it sit for a few minutes, then check on it. You should begin to see some of the wax melt, especially at the bottom.

3. Turn the gas back on and bring the water to boiling again. The water needs to be re-heated because it stops melting the wax at one point (so I noticed). When it starts to boil again, make sure you set the heat on very low to maintain the boil (you don't want your tin jumping up and down and risk plopping over because of too many bubbles).

4. By using some kind of stick or something (I used an old chopstick that needed to be thrown out anyway. MAKE SURE YOU CLEAN THE UTENSIL BEFORE USING IT TO DECONTAMINATE IT. You don't want dirt or dust particles mixing in with your wax), start poking holes into the island of wax now surrounded by liquid wax. This will help speed up the melting process.

5. Keeping it on a low boil, your wax should be almost completely melted after poking those holes. Start stirring, VERY carefully, because the water is boiling and you can easily topple the tin over. Once the wax has been broken up into medium sized chunks, turn the gas off once again.

6. Keep poking at those medium sized wax chunks, and once you feel most of them are now really small, just stir. I stirred, a lot. Made SURE it was all nice and mixed up.

7. Now, the wax is all melted and is in a very liquid-state form. CAUTION: BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL REMOVING THE TIN OF WAX FROM THE PAN. This sh*t is on fire. You don't want to accidentally touch the boiling hot water the tin is resting in, NOR do you want to touch the wax. If you touch that wax, you're f*****. I recommend using folded up paper towel, use your fingers and thumbs only to avoid accidentally touching/placing the paper towel inside the wax.

8. Once removed, place the cap back on, and you can either put it in the refrigerator or just let it sit in your garage. Me, I chose to put it in the refrigerator. Let it sit over night. This morning, it looked like this:

As you can see, it's now smooth and looks the way it's supposed to. If there was a chunk of wax that had not been completely melted down, you'll find a small hole wherever that chunk settled and hardened up. Though, this shouldn't be of any concern.

Hope this helps whoever is addressing this concern later on. Thanks z00m for the suggestion, worked like a charm.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:51 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

I may be OCD but I store my paste wax in my garage refrigerator. I take it out a couple hours before I want to wax my car so it can soften a bit.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:11 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MikeBit
I know it might not have been necessary but I feel like that texture is telling me the contents of the wax were no longer properly mixed. So I decided to do the heating method and I have to say I'm quite pleased. Here's a rundown of what I did:

1. Take a pan and pour in about an inch of water. Heat the water until it starts to boil, and then turn off the gas.

2. Place the tin of wax inside the water (if you want it to melt quicker you have the option of leaving the cap on, loose cap of course so that you can easily remove it to check what's going on). Let it sit for a few minutes, then check on it. You should begin to see some of the wax melt, especially at the bottom.

3. Turn the gas back on and bring the water to boiling again. The water needs to be re-heated because it stops melting the wax at one point (so I noticed). When it starts to boil again, make sure you set the heat on very low to maintain the boil (you don't want your tin jumping up and down and risk plopping over because of too many bubbles).

4. By using some kind of stick or something (I used an old chopstick that needed to be thrown out anyway. MAKE SURE YOU CLEAN THE UTENSIL BEFORE USING IT TO DECONTAMINATE IT. You don't want dirt or dust particles mixing in with your wax), start poking holes into the island of wax now surrounded by liquid wax. This will help speed up the melting process.

5. Keeping it on a low boil, your wax should be almost completely melted after poking those holes. Start stirring, VERY carefully, because the water is boiling and you can easily topple the tin over. Once the wax has been broken up into medium sized chunks, turn the gas off once again.

6. Keep poking at those medium sized wax chunks, and once you feel most of them are now really small, just stir. I stirred, a lot. Made SURE it was all nice and mixed up.

7. Now, the wax is all melted and is in a very liquid-state form. CAUTION: BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL REMOVING THE TIN OF WAX FROM THE PAN. This sh*t is on fire. You don't want to accidentally touch the boiling hot water the tin is resting in, NOR do you want to touch the wax. If you touch that wax, you're f*****. I recommend using folded up paper towel, use your fingers and thumbs only to avoid accidentally touching/placing the paper towel inside the wax.

8. Once removed, place the cap back on, and you can either put it in the refrigerator or just let it sit in your garage. Me, I chose to put it in the refrigerator. Let it sit over night. This morning, it looked like this:

As you can see, it's now smooth and looks the way it's supposed to. If there was a chunk of wax that had not been completely melted down, you'll find a small hole wherever that chunk settled and hardened up. Though, this shouldn't be of any concern.

Hope this helps whoever is addressing this concern later on. Thanks z00m for the suggestion, worked like a charm.
I will give you kudos for an original post. Never in my life have I seen melting wax on the stove.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:25 PM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

That must be some pretty special (expensive) wax to warrant that much effort
Old 08-14-2010, 02:47 PM
MikeBit

Best bang for the buck for darker colored vehicles: 20 bucks. Thanks Greg @ Detailed Image and getting kudos from Davidv is huge so
Old 08-27-2010, 09:21 AM
67ZNISMO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write up.