Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Sugar = Rust?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 02:13 AM
TheWan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sugar = Rust?

Hi guys, I just have a question and hope this isn't any repost. if so, please post me a link below...

So... I went by Sonic to get some cherry-limade. And i did, and since i'm an idiot, i ordered Route 44 (Extra Large). being an idiot that i am, i trusted in the Z's cup holder behind my elbow (05' cup holders...) and turned into the road... and it tipped over the cup holder and spilled all behind the passenger and driver seat where the carpet/floor has a very nice indentation for the soda to pool in and become un-reachable... I cleaned the carpet with carpet cleaner etc, but I can smell the sugar smell under the carpet... I can stand the smell, but I'm just worried if it will rust? is there a chance that this beverage will rust the bottom of my car (i baby my car very much)? would i have to un-do the interior of my car to get to it? any ideas?

So long story short, will sugary beverage spilled inside ruin/rust the interior of the car?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by TheWan; 08-08-2011 at 02:17 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:44 AM
aaron.cobb3

Originally Posted by TheWan
Hi guys, I just have a question and hope this isn't any repost. if so, please post me a link below...

So... I went by Sonic to get some cherry-limade. And i did, and since i'm an idiot, i ordered Route 44 (Extra Large). being an idiot that i am, i trusted in the Z's cup holder behind my elbow (05' cup holders...) and turned into the road... and it tipped over the cup holder and spilled all behind the passenger and driver seat where the carpet/floor has a very nice indentation for the soda to pool in and become un-reachable... I cleaned the carpet with carpet cleaner etc, but I can smell the sugar smell under the carpet... I can stand the smell, but I'm just worried if it will rust? is there a chance that this beverage will rust the bottom of my car (i baby my car very much)? would i have to un-do the interior of my car to get to it? any ideas?

So long story short, will sugary beverage spilled inside ruin/rust the interior of the car?
Thank you in advance.
There was a magazine(I think Modified) that tested different things on the car to see if they really do rust like the myths say(coke, brake parts cleaner etc.) the soda didn't do any damage, but you should be good here.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:15 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Can+sugar+cause+metal+to+rust%3F

You're welcome in advance.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:05 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 414 Likes on 237 Posts

dude, take it to the car wash and have it shampooed.
carpet cleaner doesnt add fluid and then extract it.. cmon broski... rug doctor.

/thread before i stab my eyes out.
Its only monday, i have another whole week of this ish. haha.

OP, im like half serious, and half playing. dont take offense.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Nick Mystic

I wouldn't be overly worried about rust as long as everything that got wet has thoroughly dried out. Saying that, I should also say that it is particularly difficult to completely dry the carpet pad under the carpet when it gets soaked. Being that your drink pooled under the seat where the sun cannot shine, that makes it that much harder to thoroughly remove all the moisture. You definitely don't want to leave a damp carpet pad under your carpet due to mold concerns. Once you get mold forming it's extremely difficult to remove since the spores can start growing again whenever the conditions are suitable, such as in high humidity. Pay close attention for any musty smells in your car.

Another possible concern with soda being left in the carpet (which is pretty much your situation since you said you can still smell it) is that it will attract insects and rodents. Mice and rats love to come into cars to investigate food and beverage smells. This is another good reason not to eat or drink things inside your car.

To really remedy your situation you probably need to pull the seats out and remove the carpet in order to deal with the pad underneath. It's going to be a lot of work, but you said you really baby your car, so to make it right that's what it might take.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:48 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Nick Mystic
I wouldn't be overly worried about rust as long as everything that got wet has thoroughly dried out. Saying that, I should also say that it is particularly difficult to completely dry the carpet pad under the carpet when it gets soaked. Being that your drink pooled under the seat where the sun cannot shine, that makes it that much harder to thoroughly remove all the moisture. You definitely don't want to leave a damp carpet pad under your carpet due to mold concerns. Once you get mold forming it's extremely difficult to remove since the spores can start growing again whenever the conditions are suitable, such as in high humidity. Pay close attention for any musty smells in your car.

Another possible concern with soda being left in the carpet (which is pretty much your situation since you said you can still smell it) is that it will attract insects and rodents. Mice and rats love to come into cars to investigate food and beverage smells. This is another good reason not to eat or drink things inside your car.

To really remedy your situation you probably need to pull the seats out and remove the carpet in order to deal with the pad underneath. It's going to be a lot of work, but you said you really baby your car, so to make it right that's what it might take.
OP i demand pictures of rodents investigating your beverage smelling car immediately.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:04 AM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

I'd be MUCH more worried about fungus. Hot car + dark + moist carpet is a fungi factory as it is... Add the sugar, and your car might do 1 of 4 things...

1) The sugar turns into yeast, and a loaf of bread grows from the carpet like some sort of crazy mushroom-bread hybrid.
2) The sugar ferments, and your car becomes a still for a bootleg liquor operation
3) Mold and fungus. 'nuff said.
4) Nothing happens, and I am disappoint.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:17 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

listen guys, i appreciate the list of fungus related issue above, and with due cause.. i am also always worried about fungus.

But the REAL issue here ( and i think we will all agree).... is carelessly attracting the attention of the chupacabra.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

Originally Posted by bmccann101
listen guys, i appreciate the list of fungus related issue above, and with due cause.. i am also always worried about fungus.

But the REAL issue here ( and i think we will all agree).... is carelessly attracting the attention of the chupacabra.

That's not a chupacabra, that's a beanie baby. Amateurs.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:37 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

no sir, it bit me.. it was attracted to my vehicle for its own inspection after i coughed up some wheat grass jhamba juice.. proof that this animal knows no bounds when hunting for a relatively healthy and much larger animal such as myself.. or a deer.. either way.