Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

paint clouding under bra

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 05:32 AM
mrice
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint clouding under bra

Does anyone know how to remove white clouding from wet OEM bra on black paint?

Last edited by mrice; 12-24-2003 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:00 AM
Reese

Sounds like either the bra got wet and you left it on or the bra was put on too early and the paint wasn''t completely cured. Unfortunately i don't think it will come out, but you can try just leaving the bra off for awhile and letting that paint breathe a little. I don't believe, and i could be wrong, that buffing will do anything for it. I have seen this happen at Body Shops when the customer puts the bra on too soon and the shop just repainted it for them. I hate that this has happened to your baby. Just let it air out first, then resort to more drastic measures later if necessary.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:29 AM
arizzee

I had a similar problem with my Beamer; water under the bra + heat (sun/engine) = clouded paint. I took the bra off and pointed the car's nose into the sun. This helped reduce the clouding but it never went away completely. After that I was more carefull but always had the bra on (in good weather) so as to cover the blotchy paint. I'm using the OEM bra on my Z but if I every get cloading on it, I'm definitely repainting and going clear bra. Clear bras have so many advantages over the old black mask type. Good luck with yours though.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:40 AM
arizzee

Dbl post
Old 12-24-2003, 07:48 AM
havabooz

are you talking about a clear bra

well..on my clear bra there is a small portion that clouds due to the fact that it is not countoured well to that part of the bumper

take it back to the place that put it on and have them fix it...or use a blow dryer ...
Old 12-24-2003, 09:53 AM
___DJK___

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by havabooz
are you talking about a clear bra

well..on my clear bra there is a small portion that clouds due to the fact that it is not countoured well to that part of the bumper

take it back to the place that put it on and have them fix it...or use a blow dryer ...
I have the same problem on my bumper, in a couple very small areas. On my silver it is barely noticable so I havent bothered doing anything about it.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:00 AM
Reese

I was just at the gas station and looked at my bumper w/ clear bra that has been on two days now. It looked all oily/cloudy while parked in the shade. Drove it home and looked at it with the sun shining on it and it looks fine. Thats weird
Old 12-24-2003, 10:17 AM
afr0puff

It takes two to three weeks for the bra to fully cure. Cloudiness is normal or rather not alarming during that time.
Old 12-24-2003, 12:18 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"wet OEM bra" to me sounds like your standard black bra that fits over the bumper.

thats why most people dont use it; its a hassle; and causes more problems than it prevents. of course at the same time it conceals the problems it causes. but as Ive said before I dont understand the idea of protecting the paint by hiding it. may as well park the whole car in the garage and never use it so nothing happens to it.

Id rather enjoy 95% perfect paint than hide 100% perfect paint.
Old 12-25-2003, 03:45 AM
HokieZ

I have the same problem on my bumper, in a couple very small areas. On my silver it is barely noticable so I havent bothered doing anything about it.

I had the same problem with mine over large portions of the bumpter. Some Meguiar's Paint cleaner and some hard scrubbing took care of it. It took 3-4 applications with vigorous scrubbing but it went away. With the remaining hairline scratches from the vigorous rub, some polishing compound and a decent buffer too care of them.
Old 12-25-2003, 05:35 AM
mrice
Banned

Originally posted by ares
"wet OEM bra" to me sounds like your standard black bra that fits over the bumper.

thats why most people dont use it; its a hassle; and causes more problems than it prevents. of course at the same time it conceals the problems it causes. but as Ive said before I dont understand the idea of protecting the paint by hiding it. may as well park the whole car in the garage and never use it so nothing happens to it.

Id rather enjoy 95% perfect paint than hide 100% perfect paint.
I knew I couldnt leave the bra on with the car wet, the instructions with the bra say so. I dont drive in the rain and remove with each wash so I didnt get it wet, but the dealer washed on each service and I assumed since it was an OEM product they knew to remove it. I should have known better. As far as the look goes, I obviously prefer the look on my black convertible better than the paint, protection from chips is a side benefit. Bug removal in the summer is quicker and easier than on paint. So for the look, to each his own. BTW, 95% wouldnt be perfect, that would be 100%...... (sorry, couldnt resist)
Old 12-25-2003, 05:38 AM
mrice
Banned

And HokieZ, thanks, I had the Maguiars paint cleaner in my arsenal and tried it, it took most of it out, Ill reapply as you say to get the rest out this spring.