Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

where to buy 6" polish/wax bonnets?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 10:17 PM
neur0sis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where to buy 6" polish/wax bonnets?

Can anyone recommend a good online source for 6" Random Orbital bonnets? Also, which materials are good for application, and which for removal, etc...

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 12-27-2003, 06:07 AM
wzaccardi

Default Re: where to buy 6" polish/wax bonnets?

http://autopia-carcare.com/dual-action-polishers.html

Originally posted by neur0sis
Can anyone recommend a good online source for 6" Random Orbital bonnets? Also, which materials are good for application, and which for removal, etc...

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 12-27-2003, 06:30 AM
MSOsr

I buy these... the little "lip" prevents your backing plate from ever reaching your paint (or your side mirrors!):

http://www.properautocare.com/adfoampadfor.html

Use the yellow when removing swirls; white for polishing and remove wax by hand.
Old 12-27-2003, 12:51 PM
Kevin Overall

Originally posted by MSOsr
I buy these... the little "lip" prevents your backing plate from ever reaching your paint (or your side mirrors!):

http://www.properautocare.com/adfoampadfor.html

Use the yellow when removing swirls; white for polishing and remove wax by hand.
Just a head up, Proper auto care is very high in their pricing of the pads you listed in your link, those are the www.lakecountrymfg.com pads, if you want to buy them for as cheap as 7.50 each instead of 10.95 which is a seriously jacked up price see this link where I get my stuff: http://www.topoftheline.com/7durvelpad.html

Also, the first poster listed he wanted a source for bonnets which are different than these pads, these are pads, not bonnets. Bonnets have elastic around the edges and are made to fit snug around a foam backer plate of some sort.

You can buy bonnets with elastic around the eges at Walmart or Autozone in my local area. Bonnets are usually used on cheap 6 inch or 10 inch buffer which are not adjustable in speed which is much different than the Porter Cable model.
Old 12-27-2003, 02:40 PM
neur0sis

Originally posted by Kevin Overall

Also, the first poster listed he wanted a source for bonnets which are different than these pads, these are pads, not bonnets. Bonnets have elastic around the edges and are made to fit snug around a foam backer plate of some sort.

You can buy bonnets with elastic around the eges at Walmart or Autozone in my local area. Bonnets are usually used on cheap 6 inch or 10 inch buffer which are not adjustable in speed which is much different than the Porter Cable model.
Thanks for the info, but I am not about to go out and grab some cheap pads from Walmart or Autozone... thats why I asked here if there was a GOOD source for something that was of good quality.

I am sure they make nice foam and cotton bonnets that will not CAUSE scratches and swirls like the ones that came with this buffer. They have some bonnets at my local professional detailing shop, in various materials from buffing/compound foam, to microfiber polish material... but they are rather expensive.

I'll keep looking around...
Old 12-27-2003, 04:45 PM
Kevin Overall

Originally posted by neur0sis
Thanks for the info, but I am not about to go out and grab some cheap pads from Walmart or Autozone... thats why I asked here if there was a GOOD source for something that was of good quality.

I am sure they make nice foam and cotton bonnets that will not CAUSE scratches and swirls like the ones that came with this buffer. They have some bonnets at my local professional detailing shop, in various materials from buffing/compound foam, to microfiber polish material... but they are rather expensive.

I'll keep looking around...
I wish you would tell me what kind of buffer unit you have. Whether you have the Porter Cable or the other kind of units that do not have detachable heads that require bonnets rather than pads like the Porter Cable and Cyclo units do.

Also, the yellow colored foam pads at AutoZone are not bad at all, I have used them with no problems with the 3M Swirl Mark Remover part number 39009 for years before I got the Porter Cable unit including 4 first place trophies at Super Chevy shows and many, many best of show units also.
Old 12-27-2003, 09:55 PM
MSOsr

Kevin: Thanks for the heads up on topoftheline.com. I recently picked up on it on Autopia.org, but have not ordered from them yet.
Old 12-28-2003, 11:20 AM
neur0sis

Originally posted by Kevin Overall
I wish you would tell me what kind of buffer unit you have. Whether you have the Porter Cable or the other kind of units that do not have detachable heads that require bonnets rather than pads like the Porter Cable and Cyclo units do.

Also, the yellow colored foam pads at AutoZone are not bad at all, I have used them with no problems with the 3M Swirl Mark Remover part number 39009 for years before I got the Porter Cable unit including 4 first place trophies at Super Chevy shows and many, many best of show units also.
Oh, the unit is a Black & Decker 6" Random Orbital Buffer/Polish unit. It does NOT seem to have a removavble head (that I can see) so I need to get the elastic bonnets to fit.

I'm just warry of getting some cheap $0.89 pad that will leave a trail of swirlies on my car...

The local detail shop has some bonnet pads made by... 3M I think they said? ... they are like $5.00 each ... and the MF bonnets they have are like $10-15 each.

I'll check out the autozone, and see whats cookin. Thanks!