Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Need Zaino Help ... Z5 Streaking

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 10:10 AM
g35cfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Zaino Help ... Z5 Streaking

Just used the new Z5 for the first time. It's good stuff, but I've got some streaking that I can't get rid of. It was about 55 degrees and not a cloud in the sky when I applied it. Used it with the Zfx. Used the Z6 and tried a microfiber towel but still could not get rid of the streaking. It's most noticable on the hood of my car. I let it sit for over an hour. Even this morning, the streaks are still there. Can't get rid of them. Looks a bit like very faint grease streaks on my car.

Also some other general questions here. How come people are starting to go away from the Zaino applicator? What's wrong with it and what is the better alternative everyone is using.

I moisten the applicator a bit with Z6. How moist should it be? What are the consequences of applying with a dry pad?

I use liquid detergent to clean my supplies. Powder is no good, right?

Thanks.
Old 12-27-2003, 10:56 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Eveything you are doing seems correct.

Try re-washing the car and then claying the hood. See if that works. GL!

I use the Zaino applicator. I think the reason why some folks don't use it is because its so bulky an tends to fall out of your hands.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:08 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

You may have applied too much Z-5. Also, I recommend that if you are using the ZFX, try to keep it out of the sun. It seems to streak more this way.

I use about an ounce of Z-5 for the whole car (one layer). It should be so thin that it almost looks like nothing is on the car. In other words, the color of the car should show through only slightly blurred. It shouldn't look white or hazy like regular car wax/carnauba.

I tried dampening the applicator (I still use the Zaino applicators) with the Z-6 and I didn't like the result (a bit streaky) so now I just use water to dampen.

Also, depending on how hot or cold it is outside determines how many drops of ZFX I use. If it is cool I use more (3-4) and if it is hot I use less (2-3).

Finally, consider applying just the Z-5 (or Z-2) without the ZFX in the evening and buffing it off the next day. I really like the depth of the shine with this method.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:15 AM
BSimp

I have had the same problem and I figured out (as Bonz said), I was using too much.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:23 AM
SungNamZ

Default Re: Need Zaino Help ... Z5 Streaking

Originally posted by g35cfan
Just used the new Z5 for the first time. It's good stuff, but I've got some streaking that I can't get rid of. It was about 55 degrees and not a cloud in the sky when I applied it. Used it with the Zfx. Used the Z6 and tried a microfiber towel but still could not get rid of the streaking. It's most noticable on the hood of my car. I let it sit for over an hour. Even this morning, the streaks are still there. Can't get rid of them. Looks a bit like very faint grease streaks on my car.

Also some other general questions here. How come people are starting to go away from the Zaino applicator? What's wrong with it and what is the better alternative everyone is using.

I moisten the applicator a bit with Z6. How moist should it be? What are the consequences of applying with a dry pad?

I use liquid detergent to clean my supplies. Powder is no good, right?

The mixing bottle is a two ounce bottle. How much Z5 did you use. One ounce with 3-4 drops of ZFX is
sufficient.

Not a cloud in the sky and 55 degrees. Did you apply in direct sunlight?

Next time, try moistening the applicator with water Vs Z6. I tried the Z6 after reading a post, but didn't like the results.

The Zaino applicators seemed to get rough after first use. So, while awaiting for DF Towel to release their "new" applicator, used their small applicator wrapped around Zaino applicator. The dftowel.com applicator is fantastic. Also, try their towels.

Your washing everything in liquid detergent. Great! When I use ZFX, I also soak my applicators in Dawn before washing.

Good Luck!

Thanks.
Old 12-27-2003, 12:27 PM
g35cfan

I see what I did wrong now. I applied in direct sunlight and used way to much. The Z5 dried into a yellow haze. In the past, I could barely see the dried Zaino on the car. This time, I could clearly see the yellowish haziness. I thought maybe the new Z5 dried hazier. Guess I used too much. Thanks.
Old 12-27-2003, 12:38 PM
Kevin Overall

Yes, used too much, you do not have to wash or use the clay again, just try to do another application very lightly on top of the streaks, the second coat should even it out. Also, try some Z-6ing to remove the streaks.
Old 12-27-2003, 09:06 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by BSimp
I have had the same problem and I figured out (as Bonz said), I was using too much.
ditto; I was discouraged the first time I did it cause it came out greasy and was a PITA to remove.

the second time I wet the applicator with a little Z6; and used very little Z5, dried nice and quick without ZFX and came off 10x easier.

the result was better than the day I bought it I think.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:45 AM
Kevin V

On a Z, you should be able to do an entire coat with less than 1/2 ounce of polish. Some use more, some use even less.

It takes practice to be able to apply Zaino in the sun, but I do it all the time. Moistening the pad and keeping it moist definitely helps and applying it very thin.