Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Zymol car wax

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2002, 10:12 PM
Subw00er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zymol car wax

What is the general consensus? Is it good stuff?
Old 09-20-2002, 03:30 AM
Brad4rdHay

Wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.
Old 09-20-2002, 04:37 AM
Zboy

Originally posted by Brad4rdHay
Why not? Curious..
Old 09-20-2002, 10:46 AM
ZZtopp

I've used Zymol "Carbon" on dark cars and it worked very well. Paste waxes that you can't allow to dry are a bit more work, but the results were excellent. I just tried a coat of One Grand Blitz on my PPW track model, and it's nothing special. It really doesn't go on easier than anything else, and it did leave a fair amount of white powder residue. I still prefer Meguiars Hi-tech yellow liquid. It goes on and comes off VERY easily, and leaves no residue. It may not last as long as Blitz or some others, but I wax at least once a month, and I enjoy it, so durability is not that big an issue with me.

I've tried Zaino and for all the work and expense, I thought it was a total waste of time. The black car I was using it on did not look any better with Zaino than with Meguairs or Zymol. In fact, the hairline scratches (put on by the dealership's "detail" guy) were more visible with Zaino than with the Zymol.
Old 09-20-2002, 11:29 AM
POWERZ

Originally posted by Brad4rdHay
also curious
Old 09-20-2002, 11:45 AM
Brad4rdHay

I think I can sum up Zymol to us Z owners and have you understnad my fully. Zymol i the Boze of car detailing. ALL marketing. Not only do they spend all of their money on marketing, that flat out lie to the customer. They clain they dont use chemicals called petrolium distilates (which you have to use to soften the hard wax up with), but when you look under their PMDS, it lists petrolium distilates as a main ingrediant. For the record, not only do you need PDs in wax, but they really wont harm the paint unless in its extreme form (paint thinner) Also, for the money, you can do much better. Blitz for instance is a much better wasn and it costs 15$. And even their more expensive waxes (which claim to contain more than 33% carnauba wax which is physiclay imposible ) don't give better results. And the car specific waxes. (!) Please, most car companies use the same high-solid clear coats as the next one.
Old 09-20-2002, 12:02 PM
ZZtopp

There is no question that Zymol is overpriced. They even have a wax that is $1500.00 for one little jar! The deal is, once you buy it, they'll refill the jar for you when you run out...for life. For $1500.00, that wax better come with a couple of hookers.
Old 09-20-2002, 12:15 PM
POWERZ

Default Brad4rdHay -

Ok - so I bought some Zymol for 10 bucks and gave it a try. I was actually quite impressed with the results, so I did a couple other cars with it with equally satisfying results. I guess my question is, marketing myths aside, is Zymol an ok wax in your opinion? What specifically makes you think their product is inherently bad? I was happier with the results than most other products I've tried, so I am curious what, if anything makes the product bad?

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2002, 01:05 PM
Brad4rdHay

If you bought Zymol for $10, I assume you bought it at Pep Boys (or the like). That isn't the Zymol we are talking about, that is Turtle Wax's own brand name called Zymol. (forget how they were able to et the name). I just thnk that there are much better products out there, aside from marketing and pricing. I would much rather use Mothers Carnauba wax than Zymol. Again, Im ranting...
Old 09-20-2002, 01:57 PM
POWERZ

Yeah, it's the "fake" Zymol (outsourced) from Walmart. I was happy with the results considering ease of use, but I'm not ready to swear by it. Here is a review I found where it actually did pretty well:
nsx test
For the Z I won't use a cleaner wax (like zymol) but would rather use a glaze, then wax. What do you think about 3m imperial glaze followed by their wax (can't remember the name)?
Old 09-20-2002, 02:10 PM
Brad4rdHay

Will look good.
Old 09-20-2002, 03:44 PM
Subw00er

For those who dont wantot read that review... it basically says that the Zaino was best but only by a hair to the Wall-mar brand Zymol (turtle wax?!) product. I dont think a hair is worth $120!!