Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2024 | 09:05 AM
mmcabral

Default Need Advice

Hello Everyone, I really could use some advice. I have a 2003 350 Z touring model. The mileage is only 140,000 and haven’t driven the car in three years. My husband bought it for me brand new off the lot when we got married and I’ve had it ever since. Unfortunately, he passed in 2021 and I just can’t bring myself to sell it. I really want to keep the car but I think I made a mistake by taking somebody’s advice and bought a heavy duty car cover and was supposed to guarantee it for so many years I’ve had it on for six months and unfortunately it has ruined my car I think. i’ve taken the cover off and I have white oxidation spots all over it even on the vinyl fender parts I really could use some advice on what I should do, how I should do it, & where should I start….. Please Help
Old 10-13-2024 | 04:57 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by mmcabral
Hello Everyone, I really could use some advice. I have a 2003 350 Z touring model. The mileage is only 140,000 and haven’t driven the car in three years. My husband bought it for me brand new off the lot when we got married and I’ve had it ever since. Unfortunately, he passed in 2021 and I just can’t bring myself to sell it. I really want to keep the car but I think I made a mistake by taking somebody’s advice and bought a heavy duty car cover and was supposed to guarantee it for so many years I’ve had it on for six months and unfortunately it has ruined my car I think. i’ve taken the cover off and I have white oxidation spots all over it even on the vinyl fender parts I really could use some advice on what I should do, how I should do it, & where should I start….. Please Help
If you don't want to do it yourself, take it to a wash or detail establishment and let them go to town with it using their various polishes and power buffers. (Or at least consult with them.) It might not be true oxidation; rather, mold/mildew. (Giveaway is it's on the plastic parts, which don't oxidize, per se). I would guess it sat under the cover moist.
Old 10-14-2024 | 11:56 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

What Mic said as far as take it to an expert and/or take it to someone who can do paint correction. If the paint cannot be fixed consider doing a similar colored wrap. All is not lost
Old 10-15-2024 | 05:24 AM
Heel Til I Die

Agree with the others. Probably just mildew or water spots. Maybe some reside from the car cover.

Once you get that sorted out, if you want to keep it under a cover, I would recommend the Cover craft NOAH cover. They make them specifically fitted for the 350Z and they breathe well without trapping moisture. Before having a garage, I used it to protect my Z and it always looked spotless when I removed it. Just make sure you give it a good wash before covering it.
Old Yesterday | 06:48 PM
Sickboy101

I suggest taking it to a reputable detailer. A decontamination wash and a paint enhancement using a DA machine polisher should correct the issue. I never recommend car covers as they can scratch the clear and can trap in moisture.

Once the paint is corrected seal in the shine with a ceramic coating or spray sealant.