Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Buff Wax Vs. Hand Wax

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 07:13 AM
Ricky
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buff Wax Vs. Hand Wax

Okay for about a year I always did a hand wax, but yesterday I did a buff wax. Personally I think doing a buff wax is much much better than a hand wax. It's a much deeper shine IMO.

(I'll try to post pics)

But talking with Ares, she didn't think a buff wax would make that big of a difference over a hand wax.

So I'm just wondering what your opinions are..and which you perfer and for what reasons?
Old 03-28-2004, 07:36 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

she?

you thought I was a SHE?

not that theres anything wrong with that...
Old 03-28-2004, 07:45 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Stupid question here.... what do you mean by "buff wax" vs. "hand wax"?

Are you talking about types of wax, i.e. Zaino vs carnauba? Machine polish vs hand rubbed?
Old 03-28-2004, 09:35 AM
Jsn350Z

He is probably talking about a machine vs hand.

I just ordered my Porter cable ( should be here tomorrow )

I think I will be using it VERY often. Swirl marks are evil, and they **** me off, lol. So this should help. And no, I don't care if I use more product then you would by hand.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:36 AM
flynnibus
Z Flier

Huh?

Buffing is the extra rubbing you do after you've removed the wax. Or the rubbing you do to remove the wax.

If you are talking about different ways of APPLYING the wax.. as long as you are getting complete coverage and using clean materials it doesn't really matter except for how hard it will be to remove the excess. When doing it by hand, you'll likely get more excess in places requiring more buffing to get it off or get it 'uniform' with the rest of the surfaces.

Where machine vs. hand really matters is POLISHING (done before waxing) and buffing for extra shine after removing the bulk of your wax.

If you are using a cleaner wax, using a orbital will make a difference over hand.. but few of us here use those cheaper 'cleaner waxes'.

Also, what type of wax (paste vs fluid) affects which is easier to apply as well.

When doing paste, I apply by hand, and remove and buff (with a clean pad) with my orbital.

When using a fluid (like blackfire), I apply with orbital and remove by hand and buff with a clean pad with the orbital.

Old 03-29-2004, 10:02 AM
Vrm_Vrm

A machine CAN be beneficial when using a polish or compound meant to remove swirls or other defects. If you're applying a non-polishing product (Z2/5, a carnauba wax, etc), then the machine will not add any benefit IMHO.

However, make sure you're not using El Cheapo buffer because you may end up doing more harm than good.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:14 AM
Ricky
Banned

Sorry it's not more clear.

I personally am saying applying the wax with a buffer, then removing the wax with the buffer (using the right pads of course).. is much better than applying the wax by hand, and removing it by hand.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:03 AM
flynnibus
Z Flier

Typically liquid waxes are poo-poo'd on when it comes to wax (more oils and silicons then carbuna). So application isn't by machine often. Removal and more importantly buffing afterward by machine is used much more.

Now when it comes to polymers (zaino, blackfire, etc) they are all liquid so applying by machine makes more sense. However, with these products, putting them on as thinly as possible is a bit harder by machine.

During the polishing steps though, where you use more material, using the machine is easier.. and of course since you are polishing.. is what you want to use in the first place.

So again.. machine vs hand isn't a universal rule.. it depends on what products you are using and which stage you are on.

Using a orbital at the end to buff your finish though will always look better (and save your shoulders! )