Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

clear bra myths

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2002, 08:31 AM
mikeinatlanta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by WashUJon
Will the headlight shields affect headlight performance at all? (especially if the film yellows from things like heat, etc.) Will the film melt or yellow from the heat of the xenon lights?
I share your concern. So far, no one has proven that headlight film causes any problems. Lots of opinions in this area. This stuff gets very hot on Xenons. I use 15mil on my Xenons because of my concerns about heat.
Once again, concern, not specific knowledge.
Old 09-27-2002, 09:30 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally posted by mikeinatlanta
autosupershield.com in FL , CGM Detroit, and Boundary Layer Products (me) in Atlanta. I am not saying others can't do a fine job. I have only been manufacturing kits for about a year and haven't had time to certify more. Any retailer with a tax ID can buy a kit wholesale. If someone says I won't sell them a kit, it means they are either not legit, or have a bad reputation. Ricochet in D.C. should be certified soon, but it hasn't happened yet.
Mike, thanks for the info and education on the subject, I originally looked into this a few months back and was turned off by the pricing for something I wasn't convinced would looked that great (1000-1200 at Armourfendamerica local dealer), then I got it done for free and that is when I found out that I liked the product but also found out that installation is 90% of the outcome, if you have someone that is not good it wont look good. Based on your recommendation I met with Pepi down in Boca and was impressed by his knowledge and standup guy kind of attitude, I am going to have the free one removed and have Pepi install a new one with the wrapped edges, I think I will be very happy with the results. I will post pictures when I get it back.
Old 09-27-2002, 10:03 AM
mikeinatlanta

I don't care how nice Pepi acts. That man is still scary big.
Old 09-27-2002, 10:37 AM
WashUJon

Thanks, Rob. That's actually very helpful advice. I may go without the headlight shields in any case, but its nice to know that someone gaurantees his product that well.
Old 09-27-2002, 10:41 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally posted by mikeinatlanta
I don't care how nice Pepi acts. That man is still scary big.
I know, he is huge, I don't think too many people would stiff him, and live to tell about it anyway. I think he can lift the Z without a Jack if he had to.
Old 09-27-2002, 11:06 AM
opimax

Default Ifiniti G35

Hi Mike,

Please come to freshalloy.com and repost. I think ther is some misinformation there also. I thought I read the kits were good. the last post over there states that kits are bad.

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...b=5&o=&fpart=1

Mark
G35c on order
Old 09-27-2002, 11:12 AM
Electro Z

Unhappy Oh Worry Worry Worry

I dont know what to do about the chippie's!

I dont want to blow a cool thou for a clear guard with out assurances. How easy is it to remove this stuff if you dont like it or in a few years when its got pock marks in it from big rocks?

Anybody out ther eknow this?

EZ

Wow I am a newbie again!!! Love it.. Love it!
Old 09-27-2002, 11:15 AM
MELRUMMY

Question Clearbra

Fascinating Stuff on clear bras. I just spoke to my local contact for ClearBra. They are using 12 mil PVC (Ricochet from Canada)and claim (?) that it is superior, primarily because it breaths, allowing trapped moisture to evaporate and allows the paint under the coating to age at the same rate as the uncoated part of the car. They have 54" material and do a wrap job and have a 30 day tune up to make sure all edges etc. are set properly. He was really amazed at the comment on this sight to never, never, never, use vinyl.

Great thread and I look forward to further feedback.
Mel
Old 09-27-2002, 12:22 PM
mikeinatlanta

Default Re: Clearbra

Originally posted by MELRUMMY
Fascinating Stuff on clear bras. I just spoke to my local contact for ClearBra. They are using 12 mil PVC (Ricochet from Canada)and claim (?) that it is superior, primarily because it breaths, allowing trapped moisture to evaporate and allows the paint under the coating to age at the same rate as the uncoated part of the car. They have 54" material and do a wrap job and have a 30 day tune up to make sure all edges etc. are set properly. He was really amazed at the comment on this sight to never, never, never, use vinyl.

Great thread and I look forward to further feedback.
Mel
PVC=VINYL
I try not to put down other companies so I'll just say this: do your research about PVC and don't walk away, RUN!!!!!

Pick up the september issue of FINE HOMEBUILDING (available at Home Depot and Lowes), it has an artical about vinyl that is very interesting. Vinyl is much cheaper than urethane. Do you really think 3M, Avery Dennison, Venture films, and lets not forget EVERY AUTO MANUFACTURER IN THE FREE WORLD (that has paint worth protecting) would use a more expensive product if it was inferior. While you are doing your research, look into lawsuits surrounding paint protection film and vinyl.

I would like to conclude this post by saying anyone having anything to do with PVC paint protection film including but not limited to Clearbra Inc., Ricochet from Canada and any others I have failed to mention are all stand up companies with near perfect products that I encourage everyone to buy lots of.
Old 09-27-2002, 08:25 PM
donnyz

This really is a nice thread....thx Mikeinatlanta....you have it down to a science.
Old 09-30-2002, 10:22 AM
MELRUMMY

Default Clear Bra

Went to see the franchisee for Clear Bra in Hillsboro Oregon on Thursday PM. So far, I am impressed, but not sold.

We had a long discussion and viewed the product that has been on a Corvette for 2 years. It still looks good but has a little bit of a wave in it at ceratain angles. "That's because it comes on a roll" They get product up to 54" wide, so they can do the entire nose of my 350Z (Silverstone) with out any lines or seams.

The product it self is 12 or 15 mils thick, about three times as thick as the piece in front of rear wheel wells on my Z.

Apparently they are doing a lot of this product in Salt Lake City. I spoke to my brother there and he is seeing a lot of Clear Bra done by the high line dealers. He is going to check out experiences there. I'll post when he gets back to me this week.

Intiall cost estimate $1,200 with a possible deal if we do my wife's Maxima at the Same time.

Keep on Z'n
Old 09-30-2002, 03:13 PM
mikeinatlanta

It's your car man. You ought to at least read the artical I mentioned in my previous post. I bought eight feet of their stuff for testing and evaluation and like I said, It's you car.
Old 10-01-2002, 10:01 AM
MELRUMMY

Default Clear Bra Vinyl Article

Appreciate Mike's feedback on ClearBra.

I hope my warped sense of humor doesn't offend anyone.

I just read the article on Vinyl and its environmental problems and I understand the drawbacks from its production, however If that were my concern, I would be riding a horse with a diaper or a bicycle made from recycled pop bottles.

Since I don't intend to eat off of the bra, I don't see a real problem.

I would still be interested in a discussion of the pro's and con's of product performance, since I haven't seen any downside to vinyl in terms of doing the job intended.

I may live in Oregon, but my favorite bumper sticker is still:

EARTH FIRST !

WE'LL LOG THE OTHER PLANETS LATER.

Just keep on Z'n
Old 10-01-2002, 11:44 AM
krinkov

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you missed what Mike said way back on the first page Rummy, its not the enviornment hes worried, heres what he wrote:

"Here goes:
Vinyl, PVC (polyvinylchloride) and several other common plastics share essentially the same chemical makeup with one notable exception, plasticisers. These are the chemicals that make your shower curtain more pliable than pvc pipe. The problem is that these plastisisers evaporate over time. This is where that Vinyl smell comes from. All Vinyls will become hard and brittle. For example: A shower curtain will loose about half of its weight in about two years. Have you ever noticed how much heavier the new one is? The same thing is happening to your paint (or headlight) protection. The protection on your car is literally evaporating away as time goes by. As it evaporates, it is getting hard and less able to protect. Urethanes on the other hand, have proven to remain pliable for ten plus years in severe use. They will too eventually become brittle, but not in the very short time of vinyl."
Old 10-01-2002, 01:09 PM
MELRUMMY

Default ClearBra

Like many products, upkeep is probably a factor. The ClearBra folks that I talked to had an upkeep product that has a plasticiser in it and recommended regular use, every other month as I recall. Like any other part of a car, the amount of service that you get will depend on how you take care of it.

No decision yet and the dialogue is very valuable
Thanks,
Rummy

Keep on Z'n
Old 10-02-2002, 03:57 AM
mikeinatlanta

Default Re: ClearBra

Originally posted by MELRUMMY
Like many products, upkeep is probably a factor. The ClearBra folks that I talked to had an upkeep product that has a plasticiser in it and recommended regular use, every other month as I recall. Like any other part of a car, the amount of service that you get will depend on how you take care of it.

No decision yet and the dialogue is very valuable
Thanks,
Rummy

Keep on Z'n
The fact is we can not discuss this on a message board at a level necessary to prove or disprove anything. I'll give the PVC issue one more shot at a reword.
PVC gets its' flexibility from plasticisers. These pasticisers leave the material over time causing the material to harden and thin. This is exactly what you do not want for paint protection film. Adding a topical plasticiser does little to slow this. The long term affects are a film that does not protect your paint. Other plastics also harden over time, but not at the same rate as vinyl. Another problem with Vinyl is its' inability to form a bond at a molecular level. This is why the vinyl adhesive stays with the car when you remove the film. Cleaning this adheasive can lead to the destructionof the paint. I would suggest you witness the removal of vinyl that has been on a car for two years. You will notice that it tears and leaves an excessive amount of the adheasive behind. Compare the removed product to the new.

You own the vehicle and it is your choice. Not one auto manufacturer uses vinyl for paint protection. I guess you have to ask yourself: Is everyone but this one company wrong? I also wonder what 54" will do for you that 48" will not. When I designed the DynaShield 350Z kit, I made the hood piece 26" when I could have gone as wide as 48". More is not always better.
Old 10-02-2002, 07:29 AM
MELRUMMY

Default Ongoing Education

Mike,

Thanks for maintaining the high level of discussion that seems to prevail on this site.

The value of 54" is that the entire hood of my 350 can be covered by one piece without any lines. The lines on cars I've seen seem to accumulate dirt and polish/was products.

I'll get back when my brother checks in from Salt Lake.

Thanks again,
Mel