Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Wax No Good??

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2002, 10:11 AM
BILZ Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wax No Good??

Spoke to someone in the body shop installing my Xpel 3M kit and the subject of wax came up. He indicated that the waxes and silicone treatments we put on our cars today tend to create major water spots, and in some cases, acid rain water spots which with enough heat from the sun, etch themselves into the paint. His eccomendation is to use non silicone, non wax products such as a glaze. This sounds like BS to me due to the fact that the glaze does not last very long.

OK experts, where do we go from here. Is there any truth to this or does he just want to sell me a gallon of glaze??

BTW, my kit is going on 10/5/02 in Erie, PA. 3M from Xpel for $625.00 installed. Thinks with prep work, he'll need 4-5 hrs.
Old 09-26-2002, 10:34 AM
POWERZ

As he is the owner of a body shop, I can understand his beef with silicone. Silicone is a pain to completely remove from the paint as it penetrates very well. And if all the silicone is not removed it will create "fish eyes" in the paint.
Not sure why he would diss wax though - perhaps since it too must be removed to paint or install 3m.
Never heard of wax ALLOWING etching before...
Old 09-26-2002, 11:42 AM
Brad4rdHay

Wax isn't bad, pure silicons are. Problem is that its next to imposible to tell whats in car waxes theese days. Bodyshop guys hate silicons like their mother in law. If you don't plan on re-painting your Z, then don't wory. Like I said, avoid shiny silicon tire dressings at all costs.
Old 09-26-2002, 06:36 PM
fdao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Brad4rdHay
Like I said, avoid shiny silicon tire dressings at all costs.
Brad,

If you don;t mind me asking again, why is it bad to use armor-all or other silicone-based tire dressing on your tires?
Old 09-26-2002, 06:57 PM
Brad4rdHay

A multitude of resons, the first one beig that I think they look terrible.

More importantly though, these greasy concoctions sling onto the paint, and ask any painter, this is hell.

Second is that the silicon dressings change the composition of the sidewall. What does this mean. Well, petrolium distilates and such in theese silicon based dressings eat away at the tires natural protectants. Once the silicon protectant wears away, the tire has nothing protecting it from the enviroment. So it naturraly "blooms" out it protective waxes turning the tire an ugly brown color..until eventually, the tire has nothing left. Same thing goes for the vinyl on the interior. Kinda like a drug dependency.

Im not saying not to put anything on there, just dont use dressings that contain the bad silicons. If it really shiny, don't use it. Some good ones are Meguiars #40 (tan bottle), 303, Vinylex, and others. Theese protect just as well but are water based. Dont use Armor All.
Old 09-26-2002, 11:26 PM
fdao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very informative Brad. Thanks for your advice.
Old 09-27-2002, 05:31 AM
BILZ Z

Originally posted by POWERZ
As he is the owner of a body shop, I can understand his beef with silicone. Silicone is a pain to completely remove from the paint as it penetrates very well. And if all the silicone is not removed it will create "fish eyes" in the paint.
Not sure why he would diss wax though - perhaps since it too must be removed to paint or install 3m.
Never heard of wax ALLOWING etching before...
I think what he was getting at was that wax sometimes does not eliminate water spotting. If the water spot is composed of "acid rain" and they dry on the surface that the acid content can "etch" it's way into the paint. Just like the birdshit did on my car.
Old 09-27-2002, 07:41 AM
RP-350Z

Brad4rdHay,

Is Meguiars High Endurance tire gel silicon based?
Old 09-27-2002, 08:13 AM
POWERZ

I re-read your initial post, and one other reason he may not like wax is because of the beading action rather than sheeting in regards to water. I suppose the beading would lead to more water spots - which if were acid rain would etch. Makes sense I guess. And bird **** is the WORST!!! My apologies.