Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Dr Bonz Zaino Experiment II

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2002, 09:04 AM
McDan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Z&Jet-Pilot
It's a pity the lighting was not the same so one could really see the difference!

The after's were with great light, the befores with overcast light. Unfortunately that will make more difference in how something looks than all the Zaino in the world!

For example, here are two brand new CS cars at the a Nissan dealer ready for delivery. Because of the lighting, one looks like a show paint job and one looks rather dull! I'm sure if these two cars were photographed together they would look identical!

Not picking on any particular polish/wax treatment, but seeing photos of them will not really show us the true effect unless the before and after shots are very carefully controlled (such as in a photo studio).

I am also skeptical. Look at the differences of the shadow cast on the ground between before and after shots. There was obviously much more sunlight on the after pics, which makes a HUGE difference. Are there any after shots with overcast skies?

Dan
Old 09-30-2002, 11:02 AM
spf4000

On a brand new car, you won't see a dramatic difference in the gloss before and after Zaino, because the paint has enough gloss on it's own.

The difference you see after putting on Zaino (or any other polish) is hard to capture in a pic, because the effects are only noticeable when you move around the car and see the reflection from different angles.

There is a dramatic difference in the feel of the paint, however. The paint feels ultra-smooth to the touch. Naysayers of Zaino say that you can get the same feel and luster from a good carnuba wax, but Zaino's protection lasts so much longer than wax. Two weeks after applying Zaino, the paint still feels smooth. Try that with regular wax--two weeks later, the paint feels as though it has nothing on it.
Old 09-30-2002, 07:00 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

It was buffed by hand not a machine. You really don't need a buffer. It is VERY easy to do by hand and comes right off with minimal pressure.

I understand the skeptics but trust me, I wouldn't say this if I really didn't believe it. The car looks awesome. Look at the After pics I took with the car in the garage. No increase in light on those! Look at the reflection of the Jeep! That was in the garage with no light shining on the car.

If you don't believe me, try it for yourselves. It may not be significantly better than any other product on Chrome Silver or on the white. But on DB, Redline, LeMans, Black, Silverstone and of course Brickyard, IT IS AMAZING!
Old 09-30-2002, 07:04 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

I have the guy's protocol saved in a Word document and in it was his e-mail address. I have e-mailed him for his permission to post his name and e-mail for any questions. I'll let you know.
Old 09-30-2002, 07:15 PM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Cool

Since I don't have my car yet, I practiced my Zaino techniques on by Harley. I put the last of three coats on two weeks ago. I was riding into the studio today..very overcast..looked down at my tank and was amazed how deep the color looked..Zaino gave it depth..I am a believer, I couldn't leave her if I tried...then I saw her face....OH...SORRY...where was I
Old 09-30-2002, 07:37 PM
bhobson333

Originally posted by AudioPat
Zaino gave it depth..I am a believer, I couldn't leave her if I tried...then I saw her face....OH...SORRY...where was I
Monkees!
Old 10-01-2002, 07:01 AM
sean2168

Dr. Bonz, looks like I finally got registered! I will try to be of help where I can. Glad to see so many people have taken a liking to the Zaino. Since their are so many questiosn here i'm starting a Zaino Q&A thread.
Old 10-01-2002, 05:50 PM
RainmanZ

Default Bump

Bump to stick
Old 10-08-2002, 10:50 AM
silvrz5

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
A self portrait taken with a reflection in the hood!

That's All Folks!
Serial killer?
Old 10-08-2002, 06:35 PM
Zman

Great Job!!! I love the Brickyard color...great choice. I have not received my Lemans yet but having some second thoughts after seeing that Brickyard color...I feel rep15's pain. I am just thinking...in 6 hours you could have done...let me guess...probaly at least 3 total hip replacements. I have to get myself some of that Zaino for my Z.

Old 10-08-2002, 06:41 PM
SandMan

Thumbs up

Damn now that's a shine! Lot's of work but worth it. Your Z baby must be so happy to be pampered like that. Plus the brickyard looks great with a mirror finish shine. Brilliant, just brilliant.
Old 10-08-2002, 07:03 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Three total hips is about right, but those are elective cases and the hospital won't let me do those on the weekend so I might as well just stay home and Zaino the Z!
Old 10-17-2002, 09:11 AM
mcduck

Doc,

I'm a newbie to Zaino and have two questions for you...

First, you said you initially worked a coat of Z-5 when you first coated your Z. Do you feel this was absolutely necessary? Just thinking a new car should have nearly no swirl or fine scratches.

Second, when my Z (also a Brick) arrives in 2-3 weeks, I anticipate splitting up the multiple coats over consecutive weekends. How long can I expect to do the following: wash, clay, Z-2, Z-6? Then possible second coat of Z-2, Z-6?

Thanks for all the great tips. After seeing the pics of your Z, I'm a believer!
Old 10-17-2002, 11:42 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

McDuck: You may be right. The Z-5 may possibly be overkill here but if you look at the picture of my claybar after I used it on the car, you can see that there was more dirt on the car than you would expect to see on a brand new ride. I just did it as a "just in case" type of thing, to fill in any subtle swirls that I may have missed on inspection. Again, probably not absolutely necessary though.

As far as splitting the work up, that would probably be fine if you don't plan on driving the car at all and keeping in a closed garage for the week. If you plan on driving it between the split coats, you'll need to wash it with the Z-7 before you add any more Z-2 or Z-6. You don't want to cover over any dirt or dust with more wax, or God forbid scratch on any swirl marks with dirt specks on the car. Hell, even if you leave it in a closed garage between the coats, you may want to at least use a car duster to remove all the dust that seems to land on the car, before you add more Zaino.

The protocol I used (from a guy named Sean who is now a member here after I invited him aboard, to be our resident Zaino expert), says to wash with Dawn, claybar with Z-7 as a lube, wash with Dawn again, dry, Z-6 first THEN Z-2, then Z-6 again, and Z-2 again etc. If you look at my first Zaino thread from July where I did my Green Stealth, it lists the entire protocol.

To wash, clay, wash, dry, Z-6 and Z-2 the car would take me about 3 to 3.5 hours I'd guess.

Maybe Sean or Brad can add (or correct) this advice.
Old 10-18-2002, 05:02 AM
mcduck

Thanks for the comments, Doc! (hmm... funny... I feel like Bugs Bunny when I say that out loud... hehe)

I'll probably go ahead and do a coat of the swirl and scratch polish just to be safe. It has been a loooooong ride from Japan afterall.

I'm in NC, so I'm hoping to get shined up and still have about a month to enjoy my car before any crappy weather hits our state.

My order goes out to Zaino Bros. today! BTW, you should ask them for a sales commission for all the my350z.com folks you have guided to them!
Old 10-26-2002, 07:29 AM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Hey Doc...I know that I thought I would be part of your double digit Zaino club by today but all I could muster was another three coats on the Z and one more for the Harley...that makes 6 coats on the Z and 4 coats on the Harley...wait a minute...6 coats and 4 coats = 10 coats....YES
Old 10-26-2002, 07:52 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

That will get you into the DDZOTVC Pat. (that is the double digit zaino on two vehicles club).

I wasn't able to add to my 10 coats yet. It has been really cold and raining the last two days. Hopefully Sunday.
Old 10-27-2002, 09:22 AM
mcduck

Ack! That last message created another question for me. What is the minimum temperature recommended for applying Zaino protectants?

My Zaino stuff should be on the way to me now, but my car won't be here for two more weeks. I can always work in my garage, but the temperature won't be much higher inside than out...
Old 10-27-2002, 07:23 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

McDuck: Directly from the Zaino Website:

NOTE: Zaino Show Car Polish works best at 60 degrees or higher. However, it can be applied down to temperatures of 45 degrees. It just will take much, much longer to dry. As much as two to three hours drying time is required if the temperature is 50 degrees or below. Also, If the humidity is high. Longer drying time is necessary. Humidity is a killer on the drying time of Z-2 or Z-5. The moisture in the air hinders drying time up to four times longer than normal.
Old 10-30-2002, 07:44 AM
MY350isbtrthnurz

Dr. Bonez,

Nice Job! I really like the reflection of the Jeep in the one pic!

Quick Reply: Dr Bonz Zaino Experiment II