Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

zaino-are we all crazy ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 06:43 PM
drno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question zaino-are we all crazy ?

first of all, i have to admit i have used zaino for 4 yrs on 5 cars (none less than 10 coats) . now i ask myself ( and the rest of you the following questions )
1- if it is such a great product ,why do we apply it so often.?
2- do we really think that 50 coats is better thn 2 or 5 since after the first coat or 2 we are just polishing polish.
3 let us not forget --it is just a product(among many good products) , it should not be an obsession.
4- when show detailers apply polishes ,glazes ,
etc. with an orbital polisher what is this about only one way
application with towels made of unborn cotton?
5-lets face facts---zaino is not cheap , especially since you can't get it at the corner auto parts store.
6 - for me , zaino has 2 things going for it--easy on and easy off.
Old 05-15-2004, 08:09 PM
R.J._Vancouver

I`m a Zymol man :-)
Old 05-15-2004, 09:51 PM
aggiez

Well although I don't use Zaino, I think I can answer a few of your questions...

1. I apply wax often because I love the time I get to spend with my car. Between washing/waxing every square millimeter and tossing my Z around the racetrack there's no better way for me to get to know my car. That, and I love having a shiny car. A shiny car is a happy car, and a happy car runs better.

2. Polishing polish sounds good to me. I see a difference every time I wax. Even if I didn't I bet I'de still wax.

3. Its just a car too, but I bet you're obsessed with it...

4. Going back to getting to know my car. Wiping it down myself is so much more hands-on and personal, also easier to control than an orbital buffer.

5. My Z wasn't very cheap. Why would you skimp out on something you love?

6. Rock on.
Old 05-16-2004, 07:23 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

If you use Zaino the way it is supposed to be used, it IS cheap compared to other products. It may seem more expensive since you are comparing it bottle for bottle but you use significantly less of it than you do with other products. If you worked it out over the life of your bottle, it is cheaper.
Old 05-16-2004, 08:08 AM
drno

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
If you use Zaino the way it is supposed to be used, it IS cheap compared to other products. It may seem more expensive since you are comparing it bottle for bottle but you use significantly less of it than you do with other products. If you worked it out over the life of your bottle, it is cheaper.
every man is entitled to his own misconceptions. since you probably hold the world's record for zaino applications your responce is certainly not without bias. i was not putting down the product ,just the cult mentality behind it-----i still use zaino but i don,t bow down to the zaino gods .
Old 05-16-2004, 09:21 AM
toykilla

50 coats is not better than 5..sorry to burst your bubbles
Old 05-16-2004, 10:54 AM
Lexan

Yes, I think many Zaino folk are crazy

I used to use Zaino polishes but got tired of always ordering when I could run to the auto parts store and buy Zymol whenever I needed. I find it just as easy to apply and remove and it works great. Smells great too. It reminds me a lot of the Zaino polishes.

The only Zaino product I still use is the leather in a bottle conditioner. It works and smells great.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:52 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

every man is entitled to his own misconceptions. since you probably hold the world's record for zaino applications your responce is certainly not without bias.
It also is not without KNOWLEDGE either.

Call it BIAS if you want but to me (and to anyone who uses Zaino) it is a FACT.

I used to use Zaino polishes but got tired of always ordering when I could run to the auto parts store and buy Zymol whenever I needed
Zymol is a decent product that has NO durability and offers NO protection.

50 coats is not better than 5..sorry to burst your bubbles
Again, I have had both 5 and 50 layers and I have to disagree. Fifty may not be better than say 25 or 30 but I would say that 25 is better than 5.

Yes, I think many Zaino folk are crazy
You will get no arguement from me whatsoever on this point!
Attached Thumbnails zaino-are we all crazy ?-zaino-back-2-copy.jpg  
Old 05-16-2004, 02:56 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

I don't mean to argue here. I realize that my 60 layers is overkill. I have tried to explain it in the past but I think that this editorial I wrote for Frenzy says it best:

http://www.350zfrenzy.com/forum/view...ust_zayno_0803
Old 05-16-2004, 03:27 PM
drno

I don't mean to argue here. I realize that my 60 layers is overkill. I have tried to explain it in the past but I think that this editorial I wrote for Frenzy says it best:

http://www.350zfrenzy.com/forum/view...ust_zayno_0803
as one physician to another ( i am an ob/gyn ) i know the meaning of stress and the methods to relieve it. this discussion is not about this but a look at a product and an honest evaluation of it ( with like products in mind ) . i happen to dust all my cars 2x a day but i am not telling others to do so.
Old 05-16-2004, 05:16 PM
bhobson333

Default Re: zaino-are we all crazy ?

Originally posted by drno
first of all, i have to admit i have used zaino for 4 yrs on 5 cars (none less than 10 coats) . now i ask myself ( and the rest of you the following questions )
1- if it is such a great product ,why do we apply it so often.?
2- do we really think that 50 coats is better thn 2 or 5 since after the first coat or 2 we are just polishing polish.
I have a little insight into your first two questions. Allow me to plagiarize myself from an earlier post in another thread:

Two or three coats of Zaino will give you a nice shine and protect your car. After that, a coat or two every four to six months is all you need to maintain a great shine and tight water beading.

However, if you continue to add coats, as good as it looked before each additional coat looks noticably better. Not just maybe, or it's all psychological, but every coat is a noticable improvement. Also, as you build a base and get better at it, the coats get easier and easier to apply.

It's classical conditioning: the action (putting on another coat of Zaino) results in reward (better-looking car) which reinforces the behavior and encourages you to repeat it.

I have a series of pictures taken over a period of around 6 months, one after every coat, total of 11 coats. Pictures don't really do a shine justice, but even in the pics you can see the finish getting better and better. For the ultimate results, see Dr. Bonz's car.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by bhobson333; 05-16-2004 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:20 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

i happen to dust all my cars 2x a day but i am not telling others to do so.
And I'm not telling you or anyone else to apply 60 layers of Zaino either.

I gave you my opinion (based on a lot of experience, not just conjecture) on applying it in multiple layers and how I think it is beneficial to a point.

In reply to your statement that Zaino is more expensive than other products I also gave you my opinion (I could prove it to you with a lot of analysis and dollar figures and ounces...but I really don't feel like doing it) on why I do not believe Zaino is any more expensive than any other wax/polish mentioned on this board.

You say that this topic isn't about stress and how to releive it. I agree, but I mentioned it only in response to your statement regarding those who choose to be "obsessed" with Zaino. I was merely giving you my reason as to why it may seem like I am obsessed.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:23 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

60 Layers and Counting:
Attached Thumbnails zaino-are we all crazy ?-img_0215-copy.jpg  
Old 05-16-2004, 07:56 PM
MTL350z

60 Layers and Counting:

Holly mother of God
I think im gonna start using Zaino for my ppw from now on
Does it really show on white?
Old 05-17-2004, 05:00 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Again, before I get slammed for posting an "altered" picture, I must again say that I bumped the contrast up on this pic using photoshop. It is a little trick I learned from Jim (who has posted some AMAZING pics of his LS Z "Marilyn").

As for the white, I'm sure it'll make it look good but Zaino seems to do more for darker colored cars.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:01 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Here's another one I altered a bit with Pshop as well. I fooled with the color and contrast to bring out the reflectivity.
Attached Thumbnails zaino-are we all crazy ?-img_0220-copy.jpg  
Old 05-17-2004, 06:52 AM
afr0puff

The most Zaino I've had on my car at any given time was 12 coats. You ever see the Data Backup Solutions commercial where the guy knocks himself out on the table when his hand slips on the table? That was my car!!
Old 05-17-2004, 03:43 PM
MTL350z

Here's another one I altered a bit with Pshop as well. I fooled with the color and contrast to bring out the reflectivity.
Your car really looks amazing Dr bonz congrat and thanks for the reply
Old 05-17-2004, 06:37 PM
___DJK___

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any product will make your car shine. Ive been pretty impressed with the durability of Zaino however when compared to other waxes/polishes.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:50 PM
Z4ToddB

Originally posted by MTL350z
I think im gonna start using Zaino for my ppw from now on Does it really show on white?
I can tell you I have 5 coats on my PPW and noticed a difference for the better...it DOES shine a lot more and IMO makes the metallic specks pop. I'd agree with Bonz though, I think it works better on the darker colors. Bottomline- I'm extremely happy with the results-
Regards
TB

Quick Reply: zaino-are we all crazy ?