Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Is there anyway to get out sctratches from paint?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 04:41 PM
johanna1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there anyway to get out sctratches from paint?

I want to find out if there is any real way to actually get out sratches without just covering them up? Can a professional actually take them out for good? Also, are there any products that will actually take them away? I know that Zaino and Meguiars Scratch X will hide them, but will anything actually take them out. Thanks.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:37 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

True polishes are the only things that remove scratches. Depending on the depth of the scratch, you may need to use a rubbing compound and work your way up to a swirl remover like the 3M Swirl Mark Remover. If you only have very fine swirls and scratches, you start with the 3M SMR.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:45 PM
johanna1

Originally posted by DavesZ#3
True polishes are the only things that remove scratches. Depending on the depth of the scratch, you may need to use a rubbing compound and work your way up to a swirl remover like the 3M Swirl Mark Remover. If you only have very fine swirls and scratches, you start with the 3M SMR.
What kind of rubbing compound do I use? Also, they are not that bad. Maybe one or two little mirco scratches that you can only see in the high light (like with a flashlight or in the spot where the sun is reflecting off). I am not too worried right now, but need to know in case it gets any worse. I know there is no actual true way to keep scratches out, but when they do get real bad where people can see them, I would like to know how to get them out. I am just thinking about going to a pro so that I don't mess anything up for the paint.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:23 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

If you have just a few micro scratches, I would not recommend using any kind of compound or any polishes that contain "grit" for removing scratches. You could wind up making it worse.

Those small swirls and scratches will be hidden nicely with your Zaino Z-5. If you find after a couple of years that you've got a bunch of swirls, then you might want to take it to a pro to have it done. If you're real brave, get a Porter-Cable random orbital polisher and some 3M SMR and you can polish them out that way. Personally, I'd be a little afraid to tackle that problem on my Z. Maybe after lots of practice on the other family cars.

In a couple of years, the paint chips on the front end may drive you to have it repainted anyway....
Old 08-31-2004, 06:56 PM
johanna1

No paint chips at all with the 3M Clear Bra. Best $500 I ever have spent. Everybody else at work gets big chips from all the big trucks that ride on the interstate, and that makes me glad I got it done. Thanks.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:59 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

In a way , I wish I would have done that too. As hard as I've tried, I got a couple small pits and dings. I have a couple up on the hood and fenders so the clear bra probably wouldn't have helped those.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:12 PM
johanna1

It goes back pretty far and covers a good amount of the fenders. The one guy that put mine on had it all over his truck. He said he did this because he went off roading alot. Hey never too late to put it on now. If there just minor, you might not recognize them with the clear bra on.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:43 PM
mrZeee

Default Re: Is there anyway to get out sctratches from paint?

Originally posted by johanna1
I want to find out if there is any real way to actually get out sratches without just covering them up? Can a professional actually take them out for good? Also, are there any products that will actually take them away? I know that Zaino and Meguiars Scratch X will hide them, but will anything actually take them out. Thanks.

ScratchX will remove not just hide minor swirls and scratches, it has mild abrasive qualities and perhaps some cleaning abilities so it should remove what your describing..it may take several applications tho, as the abrasives breakdown rapidly ...while Z5 is just a filler...
Old 09-01-2004, 12:20 PM
johanna1

I have Scratch X at the house and have used it before, but seems like it goes away between washes. Also, could you use products like these with Zaino, and the Zaino still stick to them. I know I have heard from the some experienced Zaino members that Zaino will not work well with other products, that why you have to use dawn at first to get them all off. Please tell me if I am wrong, because to me why would they make something that will not work with other things. It just would suck because then all you could do is hide the scratches and not get rid of them. Will Dawn take away the polish and sealent if you use it to get rid of scratches?
Old 09-01-2004, 10:18 PM
mrZeee

if you don't ScratchX to "contaminate" your Zaino here's my suggestion:

wash affected area with soap of your choice

dry

apply ScratchX with terry cloth to affected area (terry has a bit more bite for removeing scratch)

you may have to apply several times and use different techniques
apply circular let dry buff off, apply in an X pattern over scratch
apply with scratch, then against scratch...then do the hokey pokey and you turn....oops got carried away

wash the car down with Dawn...and do all the Zaino steps cha cha chaaa..oops again

It may not even remove scratch totally but should diminish...
if you can feel the scratch with your fingernail no amount of waxing or polishing by hand will remove it... you will need pro help...good luck
Old 09-05-2004, 02:12 PM
EddieJr

Use 3M SMR and a microfiber towel. My wifes new Accord had the same scratches from the dealer washing it. It took a bit of elbow grease but the paint was smooooth as glass when I was finshed.