Notices
Drag NHRA, IDRC, IHRA, NDRA

Well, I did it. The stock 5AT number to beat (in the world)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 01:01 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The last leg is where the cold dense air would help the most, isn't it?
Old 05-17-2005, 02:43 PM
typeR

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
just as I suspected...your power falls off MUCH less than a stock Z's above 6000...plus you have an extra 700rpms of good power to play with.

What you trap, regardless of your peak hp and torque numbers is hardly comparable to a stock Z.
well i wasnt really saying what i trap as much as the 24.5 picked up on the big end...i think it's more to do with gearing...im going through the traps at the top of third and bump the rev limiter just beyond the final speed sensor...i wonder where the auto Z is in comparison? also i seem to get much better 60's than all my 6mt counter parts...but i alway said it's cause they cant drive them having a limited slip and all and me with my open diff
Old 05-17-2005, 03:00 PM
baileyrx

newb? I bought my g35coupe Dec 2nd 2003. I've auto crossed dozens of time and been to a couple of road courses & am 36 years youn g. Just cuz I don't post 5 different times to express my opinions & "inflate" my post count it doesn't mean I'm a newbie. & even if I was, its doesn't take an old-timer to see that you've been mean-spirited this entire thread.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:02 PM
baileyrx

oh ya....

this too will be my last post on this subject
Old 05-17-2005, 03:03 PM
baileyrx

wait.... one more.... here comes #67!!!! I'm piling 'em on now
Old 05-17-2005, 04:32 PM
JonsilvZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just dont get it. When we were both in 3rd gear roll. All you have to do is press the gas!? It wasnt from a dig. Its like I'm arguing with a wall. I'm outa here!
Old 05-17-2005, 05:20 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I said "should"...he GUARANTEED that he will. End of Story

2mph??? I've trapped 104.3 (and that was with just intake and test pipes, not on my best E.T. run)...so considering that I've already trapped between 104 and 105mph I think that adding an exhaust and flywheel I'll AT LEAST match what I ran before. I could also put an arguement for 13.3 being low 13s...but I'm not going to go there right now.
My bad, I assumed your best trap was 103 and change in your sig, and that you would trap 105 with your added mods. As far as his guarantee nobody can guarantee anything in life besides one thing we all know what that is. This post should be about this quick auto's time, somehow it turned into a pissing match. BTW I would say you have a low 13 sec Z, so no argument there.....
Old 05-17-2005, 08:12 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by rednezz
Its more common than you think. I trapped 80.82 in the 1/8 mile and trapped 104.8 in the 1/4 mile with a cat back.

slips??? Video??? Any witnesses??
Old 05-17-2005, 08:19 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by baileyrx
newb? I bought my g35coupe Dec 2nd 2003. I've auto crossed dozens of time and been to a couple of road courses & am 36 years youn g. Just cuz I don't post 5 different times to express my opinions & "inflate" my post count it doesn't mean I'm a newbie. & even if I was, its doesn't take an old-timer to see that you've been mean-spirited this entire thread.
You seem to have very little experience on this forum if you think I have a stick up my a$$. I simply see BS and jump on it. End of story.

Let's take a look at the BS in this thread (the reason I got involved)

-JonsilvZ blindly claiming that since one auto Z ran an E.T. comparable to 6-speed Z's now the auto is "just as quick" as the 6mt.

-DomZ's GUARANTEE that he will run better than 13.3 in an auto with a couple bolt-ons...

Jon's statement is completely untrue..although it really doesn't matter..just another baseless claim

Dom's statement is PURE bench racing...and thus laughable at best.

You are a newbie because in the year that you've been a member, your contribution to this forum has basically be nothing. You obviously don't know how things work on here, and thus your "opinion" of my tone and comments is obviously not a very educated one.

oh..and you'll be back....
Old 05-18-2005, 11:16 AM
rednezz

slips??? Video??? Any witnesses??

Here is the slip. I was car 56.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....0&page=2&pp=20

I don't have a video but Anthz was there along with plenty of guys from the Z club out of Austin Texas. By the way the other car was a 350Z also and I believe he was from Austin also.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:32 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

I don't have a video but Anthz was there along with plenty of guys from the Z club out of Austin Texas. By the way the other car was a 350Z also and I believe he was from Austin also.
First it was just a cat-back....now it's headers and a cat-back? So what's the TRUTH??

Got any other slips in which you pick up 24 mph to back it up??
Old 05-18-2005, 12:57 PM
rednezz

First it was just a cat-back....now it's headers and a cat-back? So what's the TRUTH??

Here is another slip from the same night. Yeah I have headers now and I never said I ran that time with "just" a cat back. I didn't mention the headers because I don't remember if they were on there at the time I ran those times. If you want to believe it that is totally up to you. I am just informing you that it isn't unheard of a normally aspirated Z to pick up 24 mph in the last 1/8 mile. Believe what you want I know what my car can do.
Attached Thumbnails Well, I did it. The stock 5AT number to beat (in the world)-14.09.jpg  
Old 05-18-2005, 02:53 PM
95snoozer

Originally Posted by DomZ
I'm not bench racing, I'm making a guarentee.
you better get 3.90s and "tire"
Old 05-18-2005, 03:05 PM
95snoozer

would you like to get together for a run one day this summer? i am in san marcos
Old 05-19-2005, 03:33 PM
max2000jp

Bri, next he will tell you that there was a 40 mph tailwind. Something doesn't add up here....
Old 05-19-2005, 03:51 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by max2000jp
Bri, next he will tell you that there was a 40 mph tailwind. Something doesn't add up here....
That's what I'm saying...pretty much every stock to light bolt-on Z out there averages 20-21mph in the second 1/8 mile. These are isolated incidents which I can only attribute to a stiff tailwind.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:38 PM
Ep3

Dom Z you were at atco sat? i was there sunday not with my Z we have a starlet drag car.. any who i saw one blue Z sat didnt run i did not see any Z's run sunday sorry to have missed you next time ill brng my car
Old 05-19-2005, 06:57 PM
DomZ

Originally Posted by Ep3
Dom Z you were at atco sat? i was there sunday not with my Z we have a starlet drag car.. any who i saw one blue Z sat didnt run i did not see any Z's run sunday sorry to have missed you next time ill brng my car
Nope, I wasn't there, I have a date with Nissan this week for the TSB for the clicking rear. After that, I'll throw some parts on I have stocked up and see what happens...I have some tickets I need to pay for so you may not see me around for at least a few more weeks...
Old 05-19-2005, 09:44 PM
Dave B

I've got to agree with Brian here, picking up 24+mph in an NA VQ just doesn't make that much sense. I've been involved with drag racing for about 12 years now and have probably made over 300 passes in various cars (Mustangs, Z28, Maxima, G35) and I consider myself well versed in the way a 1/4 mile breaks down increment by increment in relation to the powerband and power to weight of a car. To gain 24mph in the last 1/8 mile (assuming traction isn't an issue) is very hard to come by and there are only a couple late model NA motors that I know of that is capable of such a feat. That would be the LS series motors from GM and the Viper. I don't think many of you grasp the significance of gaining 24mph+ in the last 1/8 mile.

The hard truth is timers aren't always accurate, especially trap boxes. Some tracks, though rare, don't average the last 66' to calculate trap so it's possible that the timeslips are showing true ending trap speed and not averaged trap speed. That can mean the difference between 1-2mph. Like Brian has pointed out, typical gains for a stock or NA modded 350Z is in the 20-21mph range with most in the 21.X range. That is VERY good and suggests great topend power. 19mph is typical for most cars. Breaking 23mph is reserved for cars with huge powerbands and torque (ie ellis-juan) or turbo cars (huge topend charge). I don't doubt the timeslips these guys have, but I do doubt the equipment. The ETs make sense, but the traps don't. 98% of the NA 350Zs (and G35s for that matter) gain 20-21mph in the last 1/8 and then there are a couple that are gaining 24mph+. It just doesn't make sense. That would basicially mean the 24mph+ trapping cars are making about 40whp more than the others and that the additional power only comes on after the first 1/8 mile. Sorry, that's not happening.

A great example to show this is my old Maxima. With an intake and y-pipe it went 14.6@96mph and gained 19mph in the last 1/8. I made about 80 passes with that set up. Then I added a JDM variable intake manifold and a JWT ECU. Basically what these two mods did was gain my car anywhere from 10whp to 50whp from 4800-7000rpms. The car ended up going 14.3@99 and gained 21mph in the last 1/8. As you can see, it took a lot of power to only gain 2mph in the last 1/8.

Last edited by Dave B; 05-19-2005 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:56 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

What's the margin of error on these things? Or is auto racing totally unscientific?

Quick Reply: Well, I did it. The stock 5AT number to beat (in the world)