did some drag racing at a track, got some slips

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 04:58 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default did some drag racing at a track, got some slips

silver dollar speedway in reynolds GA.

conditions were a bit cold at high 30's, my cars is totally stock, except for grounding kit. and the tires dont hook up. the car weighed in at 3700lbs, hehe, of course this contained me(160, AND my dad at 215, then we had about 40lbs of stuff in the trunk. and a FULL tank of gas. sadly I raced the whole day with the full tank(93 octane) but my dad and the gear was removed. for those keeping track, that about 3275lbs give or take.

best run of the day was a 14.192 at 99.85mph. I could NEVER get it over 100mph, tho I came very close repeatedly(with varying times for the close MPH) on the best run I got a 2.199 60' 6.074 330 and some other stuff that you can see in the slips.

some fun races that were close was a mustang. I raced like crap, didnt get it cleanly into 3rd, and spun at the launch. the final wa 15.144 for me and 15.161 for him. we both obviously raced bad, it was my worst run actually. only time I went over 15sec. oh and it was even the elusive mustang GT-R. hadnt raced one of them yet. he had tips, maybe exhaust to go with it, cant say.

another good race was with an integra, I asked if it was an ITR, he said no, GTR(is that the name?) anyway, I asked about mods, he said a few. ended up me at a 14.335, him at 14.331; I got 98.89 he got 97.21. I kinda found something odd there, so I asked him what "a few" meant, he laughed and said he had a supercharger. well duh.

raced what appeared to be a civic, VERY non stock LOOKING, but he ate my dust, so obivously his mods didnt go past the asthetic stage.

hmm what else, I think I raced a firebird or 2, lost to them, they were running 13s atleast. there was a talon, but he blew his motor at the launch.

anyway, some thoughts on it, the car pulls on almost everything I raced, but was ALWAYS behind in the launch. probably mainly by driver error and bad R/T. but they always seems to pull away, then Id come on back. except for the cars I lost to, theyd pull away and be gone.

cars that were there, but I didnt race. WRX was running mid 14s, S2000 I saw him get a mid 14 as well. I think over all the track was slowin people down with the cold temps, but crazy bosnonian was there, and he should be able to put a better judgement on that. he was also taping some of it, so he might have that for you guys to see at some point.

wheel hop was a huge issue, I couldnt burn out and launches were rough. it really is the biggest problem I have with the car. I was able to easily spin the tires on the first 2 shifts. and I ran twice by accident with VDC on. got 14.9xx on both times.

anyway, heres some pictures, and all the slips(10 passes in all I think)

looking at these pictures(yeah their huge, sorry) I didnt know I was racing half these cars, that old beat up brown thing, I beat youll be happy to hear. and that mustang... the old one. the tires on it were ATLEAST 20inches wide, the biggest tires that were there today. full race car, roll cage, window lattice. anyway, he was having trouble apparently and was only able to get a 13.3, but that thing sounded MEAN, when they told me to pull up next to it, my car cried I think.

the civic can be seen there, blue with the hood, I wasnt sure if it was true rice, or rice with power, it was the first one tho. eclipse, that was not the one with the SC, I beat it I think... but not by much if I did. it was quick tho. I have no recolection of the blue mustang, or who won... wierd isnt it? I only have 2 time slips from the right lane... which is still odd, cause I think I raced in the right lane more than that, maybe theres more slips in my car still.

[img]http://photos.napalm.net/IM000984.JPG[img]

questions and comments are welcome.

Last edited by ares; 01-25-2003 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-25-2003, 05:09 PM
CrazyBosnian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ares,

Not too bad for ur first time...The blue mustang that u raced was a 6 cylinder with mods of course and drag radials...As for the cold weather, the colder it is the more dense the air is so u get more power out of ur motor, its not the best for hooking on the track though, but hey cant have every advantage...Too bad we didnt get to line em up, but oh well... My best time is in the sig, and hopefully we will do this again...Oh yeah and i do have a couple of ur runs on video, they will be up and running soon, so u guys can see them...

P.S. Please stop spelling my name wrong,...
Old 01-25-2003, 05:13 PM
ares
Veteran

I think Ive spelt it and pronounced it about 15 different ways now. Ill work on that for the future tho.
Old 01-25-2003, 05:22 PM
Oh4aZ

Ares --

Thanks for sharing the pics and the slips! Can you tell us more about your techniques in terms of shifting and launching? (i.e. speed shifting, at what rpms you launched at, etc. etc.).

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2003, 07:17 PM
2003z

I think those are great times for these crap RE-040's in the cold. Almost impossible to hook up at these temps!
Old 01-25-2003, 07:51 PM
ares
Veteran

I was revving to 3000-4000, then letting off the clutch as smoothly as possible, the car never "spun" the tires, it hopped on 2 runs tho, like I said, i could not(and NEVER HAVE) spin the tires; they bounce along. towards the end I was able to get a bit of spin pulling around the water pool to the line, but like not even a full revolution, and not enough to clean or heat the tires.

after that I didnt intentionally powershift, but I always ended up doing it anyway, I shifted faster then the revs dropped. this left me with 2 choices, either wait on the revs to drop(wheres the light weight flywheels at?) or just go ahead and let the clutch out. I chose the second, but to be honest, power shifting didnt help it hurt, traction wasnt there for me to make it worth while.

I want new tread, and bushings, whatever it is that stops the damn bouncing. otherwise, the car really is easy to drive, almost impossible to mess it up horrobly
Old 01-25-2003, 08:14 PM
Oh4aZ

Originally posted by ares
I was revving to 3000-4000, then letting off the clutch as smoothly as possible, the car never "spun" the tires, it hopped on 2 runs tho, like I said, i could not(and NEVER HAVE) spin the tires; they bounce along. towards the end I was able to get a bit of spin pulling around the water pool to the line, but like not even a full revolution, and not enough to clean or heat the tires.

after that I didnt intentionally powershift, but I always ended up doing it anyway, I shifted faster then the revs dropped. this left me with 2 choices, either wait on the revs to drop(wheres the light weight flywheels at?) or just go ahead and let the clutch out. I chose the second, but to be honest, power shifting didnt help it hurt, traction wasnt there for me to make it worth while.

I want new tread, and bushings, whatever it is that stops the damn bouncing. otherwise, the car really is easy to drive, almost impossible to mess it up horrobly
What about shifting 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd? Did you ever take your foot off the gas in between shifts?
Old 01-25-2003, 08:21 PM
ares
Veteran

yeah, I lifted all the way as I put in the clutch, as soon as I had the shift completed, the clutch came back out, and the gas was back to the floor, the revs only got to maybe 5500, if that low. I didnt intentionally powershift, but since the revs dropped slow, it sorta worked out that way Id like to try it at about 70degrees with a quarter tank of fuel. I think these runs woulda been in the 13s then, and remember Im a newbie driver. this was my FIRST time at a track.
Old 01-25-2003, 08:55 PM
Blue_350_z

those are some kick *** times.
obviously you drive much better than you scan
Old 01-25-2003, 09:29 PM
Last WS6

Feather the clutch out of the hole at 2500-3000 rpms,powershift and you got a 13.7 car. Give it a shot next time. Good times by the way.
Old 01-26-2003, 12:22 AM
Oh4aZ

So, what was up with Car #32? He had a really good reaction time and a really good 60 ft time, but then it looks like something bad happened? Blown motor? tranny died? Do you remember what car that was?

Ares -- I used to 1/4 race all the time and I remember the second time that I went I did soooooo much better than my first time at the track. I am anxious for you to go back and see the improvement from your first time. I am hoping to see you post some high 13's!

The elevation where I live is 6000 ft, so that hurts 1/4 times pretty significantly.
Old 01-26-2003, 06:27 AM
ares
Veteran

yeah pretty much he did. it was an older 4wd talon. so as youd expect he got great launches(you shoulda seen the WRX launch, boom he was gone, then it was like he wasnt accelerating) after that I saw a small puff of smoke and went wizzing by him.

I talked to him afterwards and he said something about shifting to nuetral by accident and revving straight to redline, he thinks he knows what happened, but didnt say what, my guess is a bent rod.
Old 01-26-2003, 06:27 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Originally posted by Blue_350_z
those are some kick *** times.
obviously you drive much better than you scan
Heh. A resize/optimization should have been in order

Sounds like nice runs for the conditions.
Old 01-26-2003, 06:51 AM
ares
Veteran

yeah, sorry bout that, I would have but Im not on MY computer, so I dont have the programs that I use like photoshop and what not. Im lucky I even figured out how to make the printer scan these things. but for the blind, the slips are clear and easy to read.
Old 01-26-2003, 11:11 AM
12SecZ

Default Great pics

DR's and you break into 13.9 I bet.

Get that r/T down in the 500's!

Was there a water box? Did you heat the tires or leave them cold? What air pressure did you run in the rear?

You had TC off right?

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2003, 11:20 AM
ares
Veteran

in 2 runs I turned the car off while waiting in line, but on those 2 runs I forgot to turn the VDC back off. both runs were pathetic as a result, it shut it down on the launch and 1-2 shift, I turned it back off by the 2-3 shift, but that didnt help my time either.

as for 13.9s, I think they can be had on the stock tires if you had better conditions, namely, 100lbs less of gas(about 12 gallons, which would leave me with 5 gallons still in the tank) also temps in the 60s or 70s, traction was hard to find, but I think it was just as much due to cold temps as it was to tires, as you can see from other times, I was matching and beating other cars that are 13second cars such as mustang GT, and S2000. also, NO weight reduction was done, besides the full tank of gas I had spare tire and jack on board, only thing removed was the trunk mat, which was probably off set by the newspaper my dad left in the passenger footwell.
Old 01-26-2003, 11:22 AM
ares
Veteran

oh and no burn outs, there was a water box, but I just couldnt get the tires to spin, I have trouble doing a burn out with foot on gas and brake, as well as working the clutch, all while trying not to make an *** of myself. so no burnouts for me.

tire pressure was also less than optimal, bout 32 in rear and 28 in front, a bit backwards from how it should have been.
Old 01-26-2003, 11:32 AM
12SecZ

Default So are you addicted now?

I remember my first day my heart was pounding, I was running 13's and wearing a helmet etc, breathing hard!

My goal was 12's to be in the 12 sec club and I was getting razzed but I eventually did a 12.1 with Nitrous.

With stock tires you should drive around the water box too, don't go through it, that probably added timeto your 1/4 and 60' too.

Wow, this car has potential, can't wait to see what mine does!

Last edited by 12SecZ; 01-26-2003 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-26-2003, 11:34 AM
12SecZ

Thumbs up

P.S.,

My first "mod" to my Z was to pull out the spare and jack. That is what Road Asst is for! LOL.

I run with a 1/8 a tank too.

Of course now my trunk is full of amps which doesn't help haha.
Old 01-26-2003, 11:54 AM
ares
Veteran

yeah, I pulled around it as best I could, on one side (the far side in the pictures) it was difficult cause there was barely a cars worth of space between the wall and the water. hence why I raced on the tower side 90% of the time.

I dont have AAA, so I keep the spare and jack aboard, but it was kinda interesting to see what the car could do under real conditions, pump fuel tho I could have had as much as 108octane(if I really didnt like my cat) and full weight in the car. still getting a 14.19 is pretty damn good I think.

Quick Reply: did some drag racing at a track, got some slips