Drag NHRA, IDRC, IHRA, NDRA

my attempt at a drag racing setup for this year

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 04:10 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default my attempt at a drag racing setup for this year

last year i was running 18" drag radials over my rear stoptech brakes. i was able to cut a few 1.8's but it would still spin right after the launch. here is a picture of the old stuff:

it was some 18 x 9.5s with BFG drag radials in 295 35 18. I hated the handling so much that I would never use them unless drag racing... and they just werent doing all that great for drag racing with the power i was making last year so they had to go.

so now I have a whole new solution for the year... to attempt and contain the power i was already making and the extra 100 or so i plan to put into it this year.

i am currently working on an interchangeable drag setup since I wont let go of my big brakes and nice suspension for street cruising and road racing.

for brakes I picked up a set of stock non-brembos so that I can fit 15" wheels. I am making some custom brake lines for the rear using Staubli dry-break quick disconnect (F1 car stuff) that will allow me to swap out calipers back and forth without having to rebleed the brakes. Its only 2 bolts to change the calipers, and of course the rotors slide right off. so while the wheels are off, i honestly think i can change the brakes in 10-15 min thanks to the quick-disconnects.

I also have a set of drag springs coming soon... i actually just need to verify the rear motion ratio so i can get the spring rate correct and then I can have springs on the way within a matter of days. I also have been meaning to send out my shocks to a company i deal with at work that is going to make me a set of drag shocks as well. Once I have the shock and spring combo all organized I will post about it - we will probably test with it on BriGuyMax's car since he is local to me and he has a more consistent setup... my car is a little overbuilt and, well, volatile these days.

then finally for the wheels/tires, I picked up a set of weld draglites
i went with a 15 x 9 with a 5.5" backspacing. I have them resting on the car, but I cannot bolt them up until the nismo wheel studs show up next week and then i can put the car on the groudn and double check fitment. but from what i can tell so far its no problem. I have tons of room on the inside, i really wish I coulda tucked them in more just for extra measure, but I couldnt find backspacing that would be perfect. i think this might actually be a perfect fit tho once i get this car back on the ground.

the tires are MT Street Radials, 3753R's (P275/50R15) 26x11.5x15. I can tell, these things are gonna hook - especially with the suspension.

lastly, for the alignment - I already have all the adjustable arms and what not. I am going to do a 2 step alignment and place alignment marks on the crossmember for the offset bolt positions. that way i can quickly and easily just loosen, adjust, tighten to my preset settings.

I honestly feel that I can swap between my 14" rear brakes and tein suspension and 18s wheels over to the drag suspension, stock brakes, drag wheels, and adjust alignment in less then a hour. fortunatly this car is very easy to service when it comes to rear suspension and what not.

in a few weeks i will post the rest of the details as i hopefully finish up this whole setup. i got nothing else to do with the car right now until the block is back from the machine shop.

BTW got the car painted graphite gray pearl too ... here she is stil at the paint shop

Last edited by phunk; 05-29-2006 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:33 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

i love those rims man, they are soooo light, it sounds like you got it figured out, try to beat my 1.63 60 ft..... hehehe
Old 05-29-2006, 04:35 PM
Ozzie@Hppracing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phunk
last year i was running 18" drag radials over my rear stoptech brakes. i was able to cut a few 1.8's but it would still spin right after the launch. here is a picture of the old stuff:

it was some 18 x 9.5s with BFG drag radials in 295 35 18. I hated the handling so much that I would never use them unless drag racing... and they just werent doing all that great for drag racing with the power i was making last year so they had to go.

so now I have a whole new solution for the year... to attempt and contain the power i was already making and the extra 100 or so i plan to put into it this year.

i am currently working on an interchangeable drag setup since I wont let go of my big brakes and nice suspension for street cruising and road racing.

for brakes I picked up a set of stock non-brembos so that I can fit 15" wheels. I am making some custom brake lines for the rear using Staubli dry-break quick disconnect (F1 car stuff) that will allow me to swap out calipers back and forth without having to rebleed the brakes. Its only 2 bolts to change the calipers, and of course the rotors slide right off. so while the wheels are off, i honestly think i can change the brakes in 10-15 min thanks to the quick-disconnects.

I also have a set of drag springs coming soon... i actually just need to verify the rear motion ratio so i can get the spring rate correct and then I can have springs on the way within a matter of days. I also have been meaning to send out my shocks to a company i deal with at work that is going to make me a set of drag shocks as well. Once I have the shock and spring combo all organized I will post about it - we will probably test with it on BriGuyMax's car since he is local to me and he has a more consistent setup... my car is a little overbuilt and, well, volatile these days.

then finally for the wheels/tires, I picked up a set of weld draglites
i went with a 15 x 9 with a 5.5" backspacing. I have them resting on the car, but I cannot bolt them up until the nismo wheel studs show up next week and then i can put the car on the groudn and double check fitment. but from what i can tell so far its no problem. I have tons of room on the inside, i really wish I coulda tucked them in more just for extra measure, but I couldnt find backspacing that would be perfect. i think this might actually be a perfect fit tho once i get this car back on the ground.

the tires are MT Street Radials, 3753R's (P275/50R15) 26x11.5x15. I can tell, these things are gonna hook - especially with the suspension.

lastly, for the alignment - I already have all the adjustable arms and what not. I am going to do a 2 step alignment and place alignment marks on the crossmember for the offset bolt positions. that way i can quickly and easily just loosen, adjust, tighten to my preset settings.

I honestly feel that I can swap between my 14" rear brakes and tein suspension and 18s wheels over to the drag suspension, stock brakes, drag wheels, and adjust alignment in less then a hour. fortunatly this car is very easy to service when it comes to rear suspension and what not.

in a few weeks i will post the rest of the details as i hopefully finish up this whole setup. i got nothing else to do with the car right now until the block is back from the machine shop.

BTW got the car painted graphite gray pearl too ... here she is stil at the paint shop

Very nice set-up keep us posted with your times. I kinda went with weld style . I just got the stock rims in the front reduced 2.5 inches. That would help work like weld's skinny's up front. And i added the 2.5 to the rear. That would give it a wider contact patch for the tire. I think we are going with the m/t drag radials but 17's. Those weld's do look pretty dam good on your car.

good luck
Ozzie
Old 05-30-2006, 05:11 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the new color. Can't wait to see it in the sunlight in person.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:30 PM
aalzuhair

Looking forward to it
Old 05-31-2006, 09:45 PM
bacalhau16

what was so wrong with your old set-up?
Your new set-up is really good, and seems like its going to be awesome, but what was so wrong with the old setup?

Cool brakes too. They sound really cool!
Old 05-31-2006, 10:05 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

well... before I was on Tein suspension, which is not intended to transfer weight to the rear on launching.... when you have good HP and want to launch great you need some weight transfer. so this is why I want different racing shocks and springs. then of course the new wheels and tires will provide tons of additional grip for monster launches.

then, even after launching, my car would light up drag radials... this is again why I want the suspension, as it will keep weight on the rear longer. and again of course the new tires will help.

as for the new brakes, thats only because the new wheels and tires wont fit over my regular brakes!
Old 05-31-2006, 10:21 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Wow! You definitely have to post some hi-res pics of your ride so I can drool over your new color! I've always wanted to paint my car that color
Old 06-01-2006, 10:44 AM
bacalhau16

The suspension aspect of your old setup makes real sense to me Phunk. I didnt realize that the Tein's didnt transfer the weight that poorly. Thanks for the info!
Old 06-03-2006, 04:59 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

they fit!!!

I took out the spring and used a jack to jack the suspension up fully so that I can be sure that no matter how much my car squats or if i hit any hard bumps that the tires will never it anything. With the suspension fully compressed and the shock on the bump stop I can still spin the tire freely with no rubbing!

HOWEVER... WARNING WARNING... I would not recommend you get this same setup UNLESS: - Before we painted my car we used a fender rolling tool and not only did we roll the fenders out COMPLETELY flat we ALSO used the tool to FLARE my fenders at least 1/8th inch. I am at the bare MINIMUM clearance that you should have here, and anything less at all would rub for sure. ALSO if you were considerin buying the same stuff i listed in the first post, do not forget that you will need NISMO long wheel studs and shanked lug nuts.

Last edited by phunk; 06-03-2006 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-03-2006, 05:05 PM
bigbri

Holy S H I T those are fat tires.... good luck man...keep us updated....
Old 06-03-2006, 07:06 PM
bacalhau16

They dont rub while its in the air, but dont you think they will expand on the ground, or under heavy acceleration? Those are really close clearances!
Old 06-03-2006, 07:36 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

they will expand slightly wider where they touch the ground, but thats on the ground. if they were a full slick they would grow with speed, which would be OK cause there is room for that type of growth... but they are radials anyway so they will not be expanding any measureable ammounts.

i am 100% sure they will not be rubbing in my car... besides, i would have to get one hell of a launch to compression the suspension as much as you see there!!! Thats like 3+"!!
Old 06-03-2006, 08:54 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice set-up Id raise the rear though.....thats too close for comfort at 125+mph traps
Old 06-04-2006, 12:27 AM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Do you know if the stock rear brakes from a 2005 G35 are the same size as the ones you are using?
Old 06-04-2006, 01:22 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Originally Posted by Alberto
Nice set-up Id raise the rear though.....thats too close for comfort at 125+mph traps
actually those pictures were taken with the suspension fully compressed. It wil never hit that point. To check for adequate clearance I took the spring out of the suspension and then jacked the suspension upward to see if the tires could ever rub at any point.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:23 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Originally Posted by meatbag
Do you know if the stock rear brakes from a 2005 G35 are the same size as the ones you are using?
i am not quite sure, i would assume so tho? See if the part number for the brake rotor is the same for the Z and the G35
Old 06-04-2006, 03:55 AM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very intimidating setup Charles. What brand shocks and springs are you going with? Let us know when you're heading out to the track, I'd really like to see your car and that color in person. It looks fantastic.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:59 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Charles, your gonna love those ET DR's, I snapped an axle clean in half my first time ever launching those bad boys..Jaso also pulled a 1.74 60ft with them on an Eibach spring and Nismo LSD rear..
Old 06-04-2006, 08:30 AM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Im having trouble finding the right part numbers but 10-4YD-1312 is imprinted on my rear caliper

Quick Reply: my attempt at a drag racing setup for this year