Drag NHRA, IDRC, IHRA, NDRA

Drag Guru's-Help me choose my next Slicks/Race Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 09:53 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation Drag Guru's-Help me choose my next Slicks/Race Tires

Ok, so as some of you may know I run Mickey Thompson E.T. Streets on 16" Welds at the track. I bought these used and I wouldnt knock them, they did well for me. Ive only cut a best of 1.74 60ft, with most launches being in the low to mid 1.8 range. I understand part of this is from me not burning them out more (line locks next) but I know I get them hot enough to work.

I am now looking at 3 set-ups to run. Ive done research on Ls1tech as those guys know whats up, and Ive come up with some conclusions, Id like anybody on the Z board (Z owner or not) to please chime in with any feedback, opinions, suggestions. Below are the 3 tires Im looking at and pros and cons Ive come up with.

MT ET Street:

Pros-have experience with them, I like them-why change a good thing?

Cons-none really from mmy limited slicks experience. With the same pressures, burnout, launch they are a little inconsistent-again in my experience. Recently as I believe they are at the end of their life-they have become VERY floaty down the track-still not enough to make me lift though

MT Street Radial

Pros-seem much more streetable than the ET Streets (radial) -this is a + for me as I wouldnt mind having a rtace tire I can mount up more frequently on the street to mess around. Have heard they hook as hard as ET Streets

Cons-closest size they make in these to my current set-up is the 255/60. Problem is the diameter is 27.1" -- so I would be running a taller tire which = taller gearing. I dont know if this would be a + or - in my current set-up as Im crossing the line at 7000rpm's in 4th on a 26"tire, it would help me stay in 4th better, but all things aside wont a better geared car be faster down the 1/4 all things being equal?

M&H Cheater Slick

Pros-Many on LS1tech said they liked the M&H's better over ET Streets and even over ET Drags. Many seem to like these, Ive read they hook better, are consistent, and feel better going down the track and on the street. These seem to be recommended by all-whereas many dont particulary like MT or Goodyear slicks etc.

Cons-I couldnt come up with any from what I read, at worst it was a tie with MT slicks. Only other con is me not having tried them yet

So there it is guys, sorry for the long post-hopefully people will find it informative. As of right now Im leaning towards the M&H Cheater slicks, would love to hear some feedback from the people here....
Old 06-13-2006, 04:12 PM
Integrity
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Change it up and get something different. I 2nd the M&H's.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:33 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Thats what Im thinking man just to have experience on 2 different slicks. And they are $20 cheaper.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:35 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i really really like the mt drags BUT you cant drive on the street with them

are you staying with 26 inch size. ??

also get some ***** and do a manly burnout!!!!

Last edited by Audible Mayhem; 06-13-2006 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:02 PM
mrtomcat

if you have the money try a new pair and see how it works out and if you;re not happy get et streets again. I would go down to 15" though in any case

I think no matter which tire you choose you will see the biggest result once you get line locks. It was a dramatic difference for me
Old 06-13-2006, 07:13 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Yeah even powerbraking and dumping in 2nd gear wont hold the car still, it moves forward before Id like to let off regardless of what I try. Line locks and M&H slicks in my future. Then Im gonna cut 60ft's worth bragging about so audible can shut up

edit-yes Im staying with the 26" size, I dont want to chance running the 27" and having it rub. Also, if I wanted to do 15" slicks Id have to ditch the rear Brembo's I like dragging but IM not ditching those brakes...with a mid 1.6 60ft on my current set-up in cooler weather Ill easily drop .2

Last edited by Alberto; 06-13-2006 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:46 PM
taurran

Good info. I'm in the same boat but have until this fall/winter before I seriously need them. Although, I'm personally considering the Street Radials for now because I'm not as hard core as you.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:11 PM
Nealoc187

I had M&H slicks (not the cheater slicks, real ones) before and I liked them alot. Sold them because I sold that car. I'll be running ET Streets this weekend for the first time so I can tell you how they compare after this weekend if you like, though these are just a borrowed pair and will be on a car making like two times the horsepower that the car with the M&Hs had. So it won't be the best comparison, but it will be better than what I can give you now.

The one thing about ET Streets, take a look at the specs of them. A 26x10.5 -15 like I'll be running is only an 8.3" contact patch, so the size of them is a bit decieving. A 26x10.5 -15 ET drag for instance has a 9.6" tread width, almost an inch and a half more tire on the ground (or 9.8 depeding on if you get the C model or not). Personally, I wouldn't buy ET streets, im only going to use them because my friend doesn't need them for months and they're free for me to use. I'd do either the ET Street radial so you can have the added stability of a radial tire, or do a real slick. Unless you really want to drive the cheater slicks on the street and worry about being DOT legal.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:22 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
I had M&H slicks (not the cheater slicks, real ones) before and I liked them alot. Sold them because I sold that car. I'll be running ET Streets this weekend for the first time so I can tell you how they compare after this weekend if you like, though these are just a borrowed pair and will be on a car making like two times the horsepower that the car with the M&Hs had. So it won't be the best comparison, but it will be better than what I can give you now.
Appreciate the info, I look forward to hearing your review...
Old 06-14-2006, 04:49 AM
BluZee

Alberto, the ET Street radials are 255-50/16. So that makes it a 26" tire. They are 3/4" shorter than my 275-40/18 Nittos.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:53 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Your right the MT website has the correct size (255/50) I got that size from Jegs yesterday. Id love to try something wider in that series. I know the 255's run wide but not as wide as my 11.5" setup now which I think works well and looks good...
Old 06-14-2006, 04:59 AM
BluZee

How about the 275-40/17s?
Old 06-14-2006, 05:10 AM
gnxs

We've discussed this a bit already and you know where I stand.....MT DR.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:11 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by BluZee
How about the 275-40/17s?
I have 16" racing wheels I dont want to upgrade wheels as well.

gnxs-Im pretty torn between the MT street radial and the M&H's, Id love a 275 series 26" tall tire though, Id love to drive around on weekends with these on this summer. But I figure if Im going to stick to a more track oriented tire might as well try the M&H's...thanks for your feedback.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:10 AM
BluZee

Originally Posted by Alberto
I have 16" racing wheels I dont want to upgrade wheels as well.

I wasnt sure if you wanted to stick with 16s or not. Good luck with whatever you go with.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:49 AM
JG 350Z

One thing I've also read about drag radials is that its a little more likely to break something. The thought is that a lower profile sticky tire puts more "shock" on the drivetrain vs the bias-ply slicks. A little bit of wrinkle and sidewall helps.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:04 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 thats why i like my slicks. just sucks changing them at the track...
Old 06-14-2006, 07:03 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Ive driven to the local track 20 minutes from me on my ET streets, I love the looks you get...
Old 06-29-2006, 01:12 PM
Datona Jess

A Friend of mine has a drag racing Camaro
From HIS experiece, he loves the BFG Drag Radials...
They don't last as long as the MT, but they hook up a whole lot better off the line, and there not bad driving on the street either...
He can still turn and do some fun things at 120 or so....

Trust me he has tried EVERYTHING under the sun when it comes to rear tires...he loves the BFG

P.S. his car runs 11.1, and 9.97(best) on Nitrous...so if his hooks up you should have no problem..

Just trying to help

Quick Reply: Drag Guru's-Help me choose my next Slicks/Race Tires