Notices
Drag NHRA, IDRC, IHRA, NDRA

Line lock or toggle on the fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 08:00 AM
myfiddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Line lock or toggle on the fuse?

Nissan techs are saying the ECU could burnout because of a toggle switch on the wire for the brake fuse in order to do a standing burnout. Has anyone had this happen? Is anyone running the toggle/button on the brake fuse ecu wire? We can't lower the % for the throttle cut either. One of you guys out there has gotta be running the line lock for drag or brake toggle for drift...
Old 11-12-2004, 05:49 PM
zpeed350

Good question. Personally I don't think it makes much sense. I have been planning on making a home-made toggle switch to do just this. So I am curious if any others have heard the same thing.

Have you "been" running one...would mind sharing what you've done?
Old 11-13-2004, 04:29 AM
Bahraini350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW.... where do I locate the brake fuse?

thanx
Old 11-14-2004, 02:19 AM
mjedens

Default Brake Fuse Toggle Swtch

I did this in March of 03 and have "never" experienced a problem since! This also eliminates trying to remember to turn off the VDC.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:51 AM
myfiddy

Default Re: Brake Fuse Toggle Swtch

I myself have not been running a switch. I bought the base model cause I didn't want to have to deal with the VDC for drifting/drag. Most guys have been just pulling the fuse, but their getting kinda **** at the strip.

the brake fuse is 10a or something like that by the kick plate on the driver's side. The door labels each fuse.

Mjedens, have you been running just a plain toggle to cut the signal going to the ecu? That's great if you're not having any problems! Were the wires long enough to tap in a switch, or do I have to go to Lowe's and buy a wire extension?
Old 11-15-2004, 10:29 AM
03redlineZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Myfiddy I agree with you about the VDC all the pro drifters shut it off in there cars when they test the Z. I had a base model and didnt like not having an LSD, the one wheel peel can get a little embarrassing. I ended up selling it and getting an Daytona Blue enthusiest model which is the best buy, The HIDS are nice and the inside of the 04 enthusiest seems so much more appealing. Myfiddy you should look into getting an lsd if you are into drift/drag it helps out a lot mechanically.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:45 AM
zpeed350

Well, here's my home made idea for making a toggle switch...now it's a very "home made" idea so if there's a better way, cool. Now, I haven't actually done this...it's just and idea.

***I DO NOT PROMOTE ACTUALLY DOING THIS, THIS IS JUST FOR DISCUSSION****

You take the 10a brake fuse out of the block and drill out the center that connects the two prongs. So essentially you have a broken 10a fuse.

Next you get two pieces of wire. Rap one end of one piece of wire around one prong, and the other end of the other piece of wire to the other prong. Now you have a broken fuse with a wire on each prong.

Next you buy an inline 10a fuse and connect one of the wires to it. Now connect the other end of of the inline fuse to a toggle switch of your choice. Then the take the other wire (which you haven't been working on) and connect it to the other terminal on the toggle switch. Then re-seat the fuse into the fuse block.

So now essentially you have an inline 10a fuese right? I don't know if this would work, or be safe, but makes sense in my head....lol!
Old 11-15-2004, 12:56 PM
myfiddy

Originally posted by 03redlineZ
Myfiddy I agree with you about the VDC all the pro drifters shut it off in there cars when they test the Z. I had a base model and didnt like not having an LSD, the one wheel peel can get a little embarrassing. I ended up selling it and getting an Daytona Blue enthusiest model which is the best buy, The HIDS are nice and the inside of the 04 enthusiest seems so much more appealing. Myfiddy you should look into getting an lsd if you are into drift/drag it helps out a lot mechanically.
Don't know if I mentioned this earlier or not, but I do have the base model with the Nismo LSD set at my spec for "full drift"
I forget my gear assembly..aadda something like that. I definitely wanted the base model to stay light, I knew I couldn't last with a one legged drifter...e-brake drifts lasted only so long.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:11 PM
myfiddy

Originally posted by zpeed350
Well, here's my home made idea for making a toggle switch...now it's a very "home made" idea so if there's a better way, cool. Now, I haven't actually done this...it's just and idea.

***I DO NOT PROMOTE ACTUALLY DOING THIS, THIS IS JUST FOR DISCUSSION****

You take the 10a brake fuse out of the block and drill out the center that connects the two prongs. So essentially you have a broken 10a fuse.

Next you get two pieces of wire. Rap one end of one piece of wire around one prong, and the other end of the other piece of wire to the other prong. Now you have a broken fuse with a wire on each prong.

Next you buy an inline 10a fuse and connect one of the wires to it. Now connect the other end of of the inline fuse to a toggle switch of your choice. Then the take the other wire (which you haven't been working on) and connect it to the other terminal on the toggle switch. Then re-seat the fuse into the fuse block.

So now essentially you have an inline 10a fuese right? I don't know if this would work, or be safe, but makes sense in my head....lol!
Interesting idea...definitely let me know if that works. some guys are saying there's no danger to the ecu, hopefully that's still true. I'm going to run a toggle switch on it to cut it off. I think a engine code will pull up if we delay the signal for too long. But the toggle switch will be where the VDC button is on other models, only I'll have a flip cover over it for stealth and it will light up only when it's killing the signal to remind me that I'm running with no brakelights. Plus if I reverse the lighting on the switch and get pulled over, the little red light will draw the cops attention and create a big hassle over what looks like a nitrous switch...
Old 11-16-2004, 02:30 AM
mjedens

Default myfiddy

Buy some more wire!! It won't be hard to remember you have the switch on, every light in the console ,ie "slip" etc will be on.

Last edited by mjedens; 11-16-2004 at 02:35 AM.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:00 AM
myfiddy

So my dash is going to look like a christmas tree?

How much wire did you have to use? inches/feet
Did you get a certain type of gauge for the wire?

Thanks, mjedens
Old 11-16-2004, 04:17 PM
mjedens

Default Wire

Get you three spools of 16 quage wire (different colors) and this should handle all future mods you might get into. It depends on where you put the brake switch but a couple ft each should do it.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:54 PM
myfiddy

Thanks for the info. Soon I'll be doing burnouts and changing my tires by the minute.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:38 PM
Sins4u33

i did this mod....very easy took me an hour or more...because i dont exactley know **** about wiring...but i did exactley what zspeed350 said...very easy...no problems...

Ben
Old 11-24-2004, 06:34 AM
zpeed350

Originally posted by Sins4u33
i did this mod....very easy took me an hour or more...because i dont exactley know **** about wiring...but i did exactley what zspeed350 said...very easy...no problems...

Ben
WOW, so my idea works!! LOL! SWEET. It's next on my list....
Old 11-28-2004, 10:35 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

hey guys...is the 10A fuse in the driver's footwell labeled "stop lamp"?? If so I think I found the elusive ABS fuse.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:01 AM
mjedens

Yes!!
Old 11-29-2004, 05:00 AM
zpeed350

Yup, that's the one....should be about the third one in or so if I remember right. You can even use the "handy-dandy" fuse puller located in center of the fuse block to get it out.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:45 PM
mrtomcat

what exactly does that do? (newbie question)
Old 11-29-2004, 09:30 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by mjedens
Yes!!
awesome

Quick Reply: Line lock or toggle on the fuse?