Notices
Drift SCCA Formula Drift, Drift Showoff, Drift Session, Drift Day, D1 Grand Prix, Drift Nation

setting up to drift??

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006 | 09:07 AM
s13SRmadness

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...69433224245525

thats me drifting my STOCK z with a pair of 17x9 wheels on the rear with 245 40 st115s
thats all you need. a spare pair of wheels for the rear. i happaned to already have these to use for drift with my s14.
Old 07-04-2006 | 11:45 AM
dkmaxitus

Originally Posted by eze-edsel
OK thanks Daytona. But a quick question: a buddy and myself want to buy a 240sx and put a sr20det engine in it and make it a drift car. So in that case, I know you would start from the ground up, but what would be the most important thing(besides the engine) to set the car up to drift?? anybody with knowledge on the subject please leave feedback, it would be greatly appreciated!!
an sr'd 240 is a perfect car to start drifting in. the most important thing to me to set the car up(besides the engine) is b@lls. you cant be a puss and half *** it. go and the learn the basics of drift and learn to feel ur car by doing simple donuts. learn how to counter steer and controll the throttle as it will play the most important roll in drifting. you also want to practice simple left handers and right handers. 12AutoX method he was talking about is the power over. its a very good technique but i would sugest the clutch kick. just gain some speed in second(at least 25-30mph) and turn away from the turn being at the most outer edge of the road then quickly turn into the turn 5-10 yd. before it and at the same time kick the clutch. don't be a puss and just let go of the wheel and catch it and power out. my car is set up with just s tech springs and a couple bolt ons. i have a base. if you leard to drift with out an lsd or what i like to call, one legging it. when you do get one it'll be a hundred times easier. hope that helped
Old 07-08-2006 | 09:41 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

stick with the Z for drifting, and throw in a 2way lsd.The Z is such an easy car to learn on. Look up your local drifting organization, I know theres a couple on the east coast. There will be plenty of people to teach you a plethora of techniques.

off the top of my head: http://www.dgtrials.com/
Old 07-14-2006 | 06:25 PM
shmately

listen to bobbarker, 240s are awsome to drift but it's really not the best car to learn in. You gotta drive 240s like you mean it, it takes a little more ***** to drift a 240 than a Z. And compared to the 240 the Z is SO much easier and smoother. Tranfering in a 240 will throw your helmet into the roll cage, I could transfer in my Z and not spill my coffee! Well not really but you get the point. 240s are never perfect, whether its understeer or turbo lag, there is always something that could be better.
This comes down to tuneing the car and finding balance. This happens with any car you modify, as soon as you make a drastic change you need to make 10 more to balace the car out. Be aware of this when you modify the Z, it has serious traction issies when you add alot of power.
For example give a car more power and this will lead to suspension and bigger wheels/tires to make the same traction the stock car had. With the added power your now overheating those brakes that used to work fine on the stock car. And now the car needs a better cooling system to keep the engine safe. You get the point? The stock car will be less hassle and hopefully your still under warranty in case you break anything. And the MOST IMPORTANT thing in all motorsports is BALANCE. This is why F1 cars are so fast they have the handleing, brakes and downforce to back it up. Dragsters with 1800 hp have to use drag slicks to get ay sort of balance, its amazing these car can find any traction. And that's why rally cars don't have more than 350hp, if they go beyond that they lose the balance of the car, traction and oversteer become big issues and time is lost.

The stock Z has an awesone balance and really is a great car for drifting, stick with it.

I copy/pasted this from anther thread of mine so you may read it twice:

the car(Zs and Gs) need no mods to drift well, you can drift like a champ in them right out of the dealer. There are not many 'stock' cars that you can upshift to 3rd mid-drift and keep em spinning. A stock ride that can make the bank at irrwindale is hard to find, especially for our budgets. And you can even get a D1 licence in the stock car, Sam Hubunette(spelled wrong) has done it in a rental Z and I did it in my Z, all I had was an rsr exhaust.

sorry for the lecture
Old 07-28-2006 | 11:23 AM
r3v

question,

what are the spec numbers for our OEM LSD?
Old 08-17-2006 | 06:00 AM
streetracer

Viscous limited slip. 2 clutches. The Nismo has four clutches.