Notices
Drift SCCA Formula Drift, Drift Showoff, Drift Session, Drift Day, D1 Grand Prix, Drift Nation

new drift car

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 02:35 PM
2003TrackZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new drift car

hey all, well im going to stop drifting the z for a little while and build up my new toy, a 86 TII rx7. just a budget drifter. tell me what all you think, im open to any input, or suggestions, thanks.

plans so far include of course good coil overs, sways frt n rear, poly bushings, lsd, custom roll cage, lexan for all glass, body kit.. just something to catch the eye, have 3 sets of wheels so far (17s aftermarket and 2 sets of 18s off my z), and for more or less, loosing as much weight as possible with carbon fiber where possible or shaving steel and stich welding. naturally going to mod the spindles for max steer angle and best part, this car will never be streeted so i can go crazy.

also kicking ideas around for paint. thinking of either bright kandy green or light kandy blue. with matching carbon fiber hybrid material i can use to make the dash, sunroof delete, fenders, and maybe doors..

have been kicking the idea of a vq instead of the rota-crap it has, but i dont know, like some feedback on that area.

Old 12-26-2008, 05:55 PM
memphis350z

very nice!!!great chassis. If funding allows, a semi built vq motor would be nice. just some head work and some itb's would be baller but expensive, some over's would be good to...in the 30-50mm variety with some mb motoring battles(to save some cash) with some spacers...color...hmm single stage green lol
Old 12-28-2008, 07:50 PM
2003TrackZ

Originally Posted by memphis350z
very nice!!!great chassis. If funding allows, a semi built vq motor would be nice. just some head work and some itb's would be baller but expensive, some over's would be good to...in the 30-50mm variety with some mb motoring battles(to save some cash) with some spacers...color...hmm single stage green lol
im really thinking the vq now since i had an offer on the stock motor... ha

im ordering tubing for roll cage and ordering coil overs this week... just finished off stripping the whole car last night, going to get on seam welding and cutting off exess everything ha
Old 12-30-2008, 07:44 AM
Topics II

it will be a difficult swap unless you are really handy around the shop with either making oil pans or crossmembers or moving firewalls. The VQ has a very similar layout on the pan design to a SR20DET. I put a SR in an FC almost 6 years ago. It was not too easy, but obviously can be done.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:29 AM
irax

http://forums.maxima.org/members-rid...wapped-fc.html

vq30de-k fc is sooo ****ing hawt! a 3.5 be nicer
Old 12-30-2008, 10:40 AM
RedBullRR

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Keep that **** rotary man! Them lil things can create a nice amount of power!
Old 12-30-2008, 04:58 PM
2003TrackZ

Originally Posted by Topics II
it will be a difficult swap unless you are really handy around the shop with either making oil pans or crossmembers or moving firewalls. The VQ has a very similar layout on the pan design to a SR20DET. I put a SR in an FC almost 6 years ago. It was not too easy, but obviously can be done.
i have my own shop, and plan on making a new firewall anyways just cause it will look cleaner... heh the old minitrucker in me coming out

i may keep it rotory a bit but, to mod it to make good power could put a vq in it and be a torque monster for about the same costs. i love drifting my z and its not really modded at all, and with a 2200 lb or less fc, i think it will kick around great
Old 01-02-2009, 08:16 AM
R3belzBRN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get rid of the wing first bro.its ugly for a drift car.ehe
Old 01-02-2009, 09:15 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by 2003TrackZ
hey all, well im going to stop drifting the z for a little while and build up my new toy, a 86 TII rx7. just a budget drifter. tell me what all you think, im open to any input, or suggestions, thanks.

plans so far include of course good coil overs, sways frt n rear, poly bushings, lsd, custom roll cage, lexan for all glass, body kit.. just something to catch the eye, have 3 sets of wheels so far (17s aftermarket and 2 sets of 18s off my z), and for more or less, loosing as much weight as possible with carbon fiber where possible or shaving steel and stich welding. naturally going to mod the spindles for max steer angle and best part, this car will never be streeted so i can go crazy.

also kicking ideas around for paint. thinking of either bright kandy green or light kandy blue. with matching carbon fiber hybrid material i can use to make the dash, sunroof delete, fenders, and maybe doors..

have been kicking the idea of a vq instead of the rota-crap it has, but i dont know, like some feedback on that area.

Keep it JDM... meaning please keep it white get a good set of lite wheels and 100% keep the rotary. You can get plenty of power out of it with a port and polish and upgraded turbo. Nice car BTW i wouldn't mind having a TII laying around..
Old 01-02-2009, 09:50 AM
Lawy'dU

Originally Posted by Highway Riding
Keep it JDM... meaning please keep it white get a good set of lite wheels and 100% keep the rotary. You can get plenty of power out of it with a port and polish and upgraded turbo. Nice car BTW i wouldn't mind having a TII laying around..
yeah, no. If this thing is going to be a "drift car", upgrade the suspension and gut the thing. Get yourself a good lsd, and then go for power. This thing gets horrible gas milage and be ready to go through new engines all of the time.

I had an FC turboII last winter and got rid of it because of the cost/benefit of owning and buildig the car for track use...
Old 01-03-2009, 10:07 AM
2003TrackZ

Originally Posted by Lawy'dU
yeah, no. If this thing is going to be a "drift car", upgrade the suspension and gut the thing. Get yourself a good lsd, and then go for power. This thing gets horrible gas milage and be ready to go through new engines all of the time.

I had an FC turboII last winter and got rid of it because of the cost/benefit of owning and buildig the car for track use...
i agree with you... lol keep it jdm... coilovers in the mail, same with a few other toys, ill post some pics up soon, its stormy today so ill snap when it clears up

im really not a fan of rotory.... found a vq35de with 50k motor, tranny, ecu, and harness for 2800 delivered so im debating it right now
Old 01-03-2009, 12:08 PM
kelsey_kaye

I'd throw in the vq if lawydu knows what he's talking about...
Old 01-04-2009, 09:00 AM
2003TrackZ

Default few updates

well im waiting on parts to come in, but heres some pics to keep you all entertained

the last pic is of my next drift project...

Old 01-04-2009, 09:05 AM
2003TrackZ

making some custom headlights, xenon projectors out of a maxima and foglights out of an ser altima... going to mount up and make a cf cover, used led in the fog light for turn signals

Old 01-04-2009, 09:14 AM
2003TrackZ

new coilovers should be in mail monday, anyone know much about bc?

also ordered a 16 gal fuel cell