Notices
Drift SCCA Formula Drift, Drift Showoff, Drift Session, Drift Day, D1 Grand Prix, Drift Nation

B-ver's Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 08:10 PM
AlexPfeiffer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mishimoto sent me one intercooler, I took a look at it and was like, its too small. Emailed them back and asked if it was possible to get another one. "What for" they ask. "I'm going to try and double it up, looks too small for 1000hp, I'll show pics, I promise", Mishimoto "Ok, send Alex one more." So they sent me another intercooler, this time in black.

So, which way to make this thing bigger, was thinking first of making it double thick, put one infront the other since alot of the supra's run like 4" thick cores. Then thought of going double as long since the front of the car is so wide, problem was the frame rails are a bit low and would have to cut those out. Then was thinking of making it double tall, like the size of the rad. Then a friend was like "just make it taller" so yeah, here is how it went.

start with 2 intercoolers...

Cut the end tanks off the black one.

Pic of the inside...

Then trimed the black one up the the first core area. Cut the other end tanks but left the hose ends still on it. Then measured how much space I had in the front of the car and took a chunk out of the aluminum core. You can see it sitting up there by itself, and welded up the corners.

As you can see, its now the full height of the rad, kinda like diesel truck style. Still need to trim down a few things like that hood latch area and the high beams, then it will be nice and tight in there.

I just hope there will be enough clean air to keep the water temp down now that I filled alot of it up with this thing. Still need to finish up the end tanks but probably do that when its time for the pipeing.

Thanks Mishimoto!
Old 04-24-2009, 07:46 AM
memphis350z

thats f'in gangster!!!
Old 04-24-2009, 07:59 AM
Royal_T

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

That is a really smart Idea. kudos to you for that...can't wait for more pics
Old 04-24-2009, 03:05 PM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sub'ing
Old 04-24-2009, 11:22 PM
AlexPfeiffer

Picked up the brakes today from Rotora and did a quick test fit.

Then helped the guys clean shop at G-Dimension. Having a garage sale this weekend (4/25 and 4/26) from about 10 am till about 5. Tons of sr20det parts and a bunch of random things. I'll be there on sat for sure, dont know about sunday yet. If your not doing anything and want to check out the car, the address is 817 lawson st, 91748.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:24 PM
PV350Z
Banned

keep up the good work...
Old 04-27-2009, 07:56 PM
AlexPfeiffer

Did a few things. Got the head back, then started on shimming the valves. Ordered a bunch of shims from toyota so hopefully get those soon. The valve lash is pretty much the only thing keeping me from putting the motor together and sticking it in the car.

Then finished up the brake lines and did the clutch line.

Got bored since I'm waiting for parts, so started on the electrical again. Think I'm going to throw away the original switch panel and made one on the dash cause it looked too empty. Used some thick carbon fiber sheet and cut it out to fit the little area in the middle.

O yeah, thats the steering wheel off my ae86, it fit the sc. Just going to leave it on there till I find a replacement since it looks better then the stock one. Started on the main circuit board. Thinking of running it behind the switch panel basicly on the firewall pretty much. That way the wires are rather hidden. Not sure if I like it yet. May redo it like alot of things I end up with.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:17 AM
PV350Z
Banned

keep on posting bro....
Old 04-29-2009, 08:07 PM
AlexPfeiffer

Need to update with some new sponsors. Some of you remember House of Kolor, they sponsored the paint. Competition Clutch is on board with help on a twin disk setup. Also Bullseye Power Turbos is helping with S368R turbo.

Last couple days where spent working on product. The biggest thing holding me back right now is money. Even when the car is done, its going to take money to run it at events. So I spent some time trying to make some extra funds and worked on some products. You mkiii guys will be happy, 150 end brackets...

I need to sell these seats to get my money back. Sparco Fighters, used as back seats in a honda Fit for sema last year. They are bottom mount seats. I can take more pics if need be. Rather have local pick up but I can ship if need be. Rather sell as a pair also at $600 (shipping not included). No brackets or rails.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:16 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

TTT.................... Wanna see this beast all dialed in!
Old 04-30-2009, 08:28 PM
AlexPfeiffer

Clutch came in today. Competition Clutch really came threw. When they said it was a complete kit, they were right, this has to be the most complete clutch setup I've seen. Came with everything including a slave and clutch line. Converts from pull to push style, twin disk, light flywheel. I weighed it earlier and think it was 23lbs with the flywheel and clutch together. Best part is its a tight diameter clutch so it drops down the rotating mass of it. Should make the motor perky.

Also picked up the shims for the head and got to work on that for a few hours. Pretty happy now that the head and the rest of the parts are ready to go together. Just need to line up the DVD filming and should be in the car soon. I did finally find a spot to stick the damn kill switch.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:08 PM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What are you using for engine management?
Old 04-30-2009, 09:24 PM
Royal_T

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

It just keeps on getting better and better..I love it all
Old 05-01-2009, 04:07 AM
Jeremy@Altered
Banned

Very cool Alex!!
Old 05-01-2009, 07:22 AM
AlexPfeiffer

Originally Posted by SlideFox
What are you using for engine management?
ViPEC V88
http://www.vi-pec.com/page_files/V88.html
Old 05-01-2009, 11:01 AM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^^Opps... I do remember you posting that now..
Old 05-01-2009, 09:54 PM
AlexPfeiffer

Dropped off the clutch at Speed O Motive to get ballanced. Figured since the crank was ballanced, needed to make sure the flywheel and clutch was too. Come to find out it was good so no worries there. Moved the switches to the center dash peice. They look alot better, just hope I can reach them. Mounted the ViPEC V88 (ecu) in the center of the trans tunnel. Should be easier to wire up from there.

Anyone got a stock guage cluster? I need to mount the guages and dont feel like having to create something to fill that hole. Seats still for sale. Only a few things left to find, some 1000cc injectors are the main things I need right now.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Simann

Pretty nice build up man!

Two years ago I acquired a mint 5 speed 1995 red with full black interior SC300. Had 130K on the ODO. I was planning to build up a nice car as you were, but the car was so pristine, I just could not see myself tearing it apart! (Plus I got screwed over on a Vertex body kit for it. Bought a kit out of Florida, kid tried to scam me, then he sent a knock off kit strapped to a wooden pallat. It was all cracked to heck. LOL)

Still, love the JZZ30's!
What turbine are you going with?
Old 05-05-2009, 07:07 PM
AlexPfeiffer

Funny you ask...Turbo came in.

Bullseye s368 T-4 .88ar, BEP 68mm compressor wheel, S300 68mm 2.5 BEP inlet bell. I dont know what any of that means, Dan said it would spool pretty quick and make 800 to 900hp depending on boost, thats all I needed to hear. Now I need to find the v band and fitings and such. Going to hopefully be finishing up the dvd soon.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:39 PM
Simann

Yeah, compressor tech is a little mind warping at first glance. Aside from that, Borg-Warner make some pretty nice turbo's! At first I looked at it and thought it was a smaller S series given the compressor housing, but the hot side does match the dimensions for the 368, and the compressor being the smaller housing and wheel. Hybrid turbo, sounds pretty promising!

It should give you a pretty nice power band, especially with a 3.4 bottom end. You will probably have response around 5K rpm or so. I imagine you plan on revving the motor to around 9-10K? Most of the guys running the 3.4 strokers have no problem in those ranges and are all making over 1000 whp with comparable turbines.

All in all, I love to see JZZ30's drifting. They look so, elegant.

Good luck!

-Jonathan

Quick Reply: B-ver's Build Thread