Notices
Drift SCCA Formula Drift, Drift Showoff, Drift Session, Drift Day, D1 Grand Prix, Drift Nation

B-ver's Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 08:11 PM
AlexPfeiffer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B-ver's Build Thread

I'm probably not going to say much, just throw up pictures as things go along.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:13 PM
AlexPfeiffer

Today's work,

Started this way, one main hoop and one A pillar bar fitted.

Yes its that close

Added other side then the top bar

Then made some braces

And tacked them in

Then some for the front

Then welded the bottoms

Made some holes to drop the cage down under the base plates to weld the top sections in,
after the bottoms, pulled the base plates out and dropped the cage down to weld the tops.

Here's the finished front section
Old 03-16-2009, 08:14 PM
AlexPfeiffer

Yes that small black line inbetween the cage and the body is the gap.

Random stuff,
Subframes before,

Headlights,
Old 03-16-2009, 08:15 PM
AlexPfeiffer

Didnt get too much done today. Was on the phone alot trying to get parts and such.

Added the rear bars,

Goes into the rear, trying to tie as much of the frame rails as possible

Then made some cool under fender tie ins

They go from the front legs of the cage to the under area of the shock towers

Then an evo came back from storage, I did the cage and it went out to paint, then went into storage till they had time to put the rest of the car back together. Here's some pics,

Old 03-16-2009, 08:16 PM
AlexPfeiffer

I should be coming out with some new stuff.

I know its saturday, still have work to do.

Welded in the main 6 point

Then put the car on the rack, drained the gas tank, took out the brake lines and fuel lines, took out the gas tank, and getting it ready to send to the media blasters. Think I found a place to powder coat the chassis.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:17 PM
AlexPfeiffer

Updates....

Since the inside is getting coated, I needed to fill in the sunroof hole. Started off with some cold roll and cut it out to just a touch larger.

Then rolled it a few times to get some shape

Used as many magnets in the shop I could find and got the final fitment.

Then welded in

After all that, Got to taking off the rest of the parts like the windows and doors and such. Called up the media blasters and put the car on the back of a trailer. Here's what it looked like on its way out.

And the phone number is anyone needs it.

Should be there for a couple days. I got started on cleaning the suspension and subframes. Going to the machinist on sat to make some new parts. I'll get some after shots when the car comes back.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:17 PM
AlexPfeiffer

Got the car back from the blasters and dropped it off at a freinds shop. I was too busy to even think about taking pics but the inside is nice and clean. The undercoat is still there. Thinking about just using rustoleum on the bottom of the car just to save time. I dont think people care really what the underneath of a car looks like.

Saturday and my machinist helped me out alot. We took all day but got all the delrin bushings fitted and made. I couldnt ask for a better job as these things fit so nice. Time for some pics,

Here is Kevin trying to run from the camera...

Just one of many rows of machines

Some delrin getting turned

What they looked like after

Even made some rack bushing replacements

I'll take some pics of the stuff installed when I put it all together. We didnt have enough material to make an extra set so I left one side with him to get pricing for more kits.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:18 PM
AlexPfeiffer

Picked it up, And there was sand in every hole and crevis. Next time I'm just going to have the car dipped. It costs more but at least it's alot less work to do to prep the chassis. So far I've wasted a few days cleaning things where it would have been done already if it was just dipped. Now I'm worried that the sand would come out when it gets coated and mess things up. O well, here is what it looks like.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:19 PM
AlexPfeiffer

O well, next update. Started off the day cleaning of coarse. Then moved onto to some dimple die plates.

Started off with some generic cut outs and trimed to fit.

Then cut some holes where I wanted the dimples and cleaned the holes and the metal.

Then some dimples, yes I was cheep when I bought my set. I should of gotten the ones that cut the holes and dimple at the same time.

Then installed, well welded in.

And the far view.

Then got back to some of the other things on the cage. I ordered some 1 1/2 x .083 wall to do the rear braces, but they hopefully will be here tomaro. So I used some 1 1/4 x .083 wall and made some braces for the fender braces. Yes braces on braces, the more bars, well not always better but always heavier. I did need to triangulate those things for some strength.

Didnt weld them in yet cause I now have a new rule, no welding once the sun goes down. For some reason, maybe its my eye sight, but it just doesnt come out as good.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:19 PM
AlexPfeiffer

So no tubing showed up this morning, had to find something else to do. Hey, I need to block off the rear deck and the firewall. Damn rulebook.

Start with a peice of metal. This time aluminum. I love this little cutter.

Made a couple of them then just copied it over to the peice.

Then cut some out for the firewall. A couple clinko's to holed them in.

Then time to install. Used just some regular high temp silicon, then added some weights to hold them in place.

Then for the fronts, used some Devcon, which is like jb weld, just 100 times stronger.

Heres the installed pics. Figured if they are installed now, then they will be coated the same color.

Then since I was at the back of the car, I also wanted to make a jacking point cause I know this thing will be too low for me to get a jack under it and lift it up. Originally the design would have been some steel tubing and connected to the rear frame rails, but looking at the rear bumper reinforment gave me an idea. Why add more tubes to this thing when that original aluminum peice is pretty strong already. So there was this aluminum jack that was broken, took the handle off it and cut about 7 inches off, and fired up the tig. This is after welding.

And it back installed on the chassis.

It will probably get trimed once the body kit gets on. Idealy would be just under the kit.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:20 PM
AlexPfeiffer

Started off the day trying to get the rest of the sand out.

Then weld in the lower x and the rear brace.

Then added cross brace and harness bars.

Started on door bars.

And the final X's.

Trying to get this thing to the coaters by the begining of next week. Still have a few more small things to add to the cage and then final clean up. Going to be in the shop tomarro and hopefully sunday as well.

By the way, Now that you have seen the cage, I can make this again, but if I find someone that basicly copied my design, I will find you one day.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:21 PM
AlexPfeiffer

Finished up the final prep on the chassis and taking it to the coaters in the morning. Then got bored so I pulled out the front uprights, cleaned them up, and moded them.

Had to go pick up some stuff in the morning so I stopped by my friends shop who is building Dai's new Falken IS350. I made some custom suspension for the old car and ended up making a set for the new car. I supplied them with the weld on kits and Scott did the actual installs. Here is the rear suspension...

And the rear view

Old 03-16-2009, 08:22 PM
AlexPfeiffer

I actually wanted to paint the car the same as my helmit but it would cost way too much for all that candy paint and grafix.

I cannot express how happy I was to get the chassis back today. The pictures just dont do it justice as to how nice of a job they did. If you ever need wheels, parts, anything powdercoated in the orange area, even if your inland or la, go to these guys. Best work and best price hands down. O and they have a 25 foot oven for things like cars?

Here is the proof, and you have to see it in person to really get the feel of it. 2 stages, base was a metalic silver, then a red candy over it. I almost went with a blue color but I'm really happy with the red.

I mean it even powdercoated under the car, I really wish I spent a day wire wheeling the damn undercoat off. O well, next time and every time after this, acid dip then add cage, then add powdercoat. Can you belive this costed less then half of what I was quoted for paint?

Edit, If I see another car with the same color done at the same place, I will key your ****!!! THey have lots of custom colors so pick your own.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:23 PM
AlexPfeiffer

So saturday, went to hin with the hot rod. I didnt win that autobarrel race unfortunatly, the car started acting up. The trans wouldnt stay in gear so I would have to hold it with one hand and try to drive with the other. Then it was making some bad noises in the rear end. After that all went down, some friends of mine were doing the drift demo on the other side. Someone said "hey, why dont you bring the hot rod over." So I asked if we could and yeah, brought it over to the other side of the show. Grabbed my helmit out of the truck, barrow a set of tires from John off his corolla, and went in the last demo of the night. Made just a few laps before the rear end finally let go, just pulled it in and parked it at that point.

Sunday, back to work on the car. Went into the machine shop cause its the only time we can really play and test fit new parts. Finished up making the subframe spacers to eliminate the stock bushings.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:20 PM
daytona350z

ooooo, looks like its gonna be fun watching you drive again

you shoulda just bought my corolla
Old 03-17-2009, 08:12 PM
mich

looking good alex!
looking forward to seeing your build progress, but more excited to see you drive again!
Old 03-17-2009, 08:19 PM
USANA Z

this car is sick! watching the build on ziptied too
Old 03-17-2009, 11:43 PM
AlexPfeiffer

Guess they moved the thread here. Tell your friends.

Good news, Picked up a sponsor for cooling products. Maybe you heard of them,

More pictures of the products once they are in and being installed.

For now, had to start making this car a roller so I can drop it off at the body shop. Started on the upper control arms and removed the stock bushings.

Then cleaned out the left over rubber. The front upper is on the right, the rear upper is on the left. On the rears, they have a metal insert and with the new bushing kit, I just left those in there instead of taking them out.

Then installed the delrin bushings we made a couple weeks ago.

Then pulled out the front subframe and bolted it to the car.

Added the delrin rack bushings and bolted that on.

Battle Version rear traction links and rear toe links.

Then put the rear subframe together.

Its really hard trying to get work done and worrying about trying to get the parts you need to continue working on the car. I spend so much time on the phone and internet inbetween all the installs that I'm really supprised that I can get work done. Today also tore the motor apart but going to save you from motor pics. So many on the forums that I'll wait till its getting ready to be put in. Goal is 1000hp.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:25 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Alex now you're on here too?! LOL. You have to show pics of the front bar that you welded up to the front shock tower. JDM cigarettes are en route for tomorrow.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:26 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by daytona350z
ooooo, looks like its gonna be fun watching you drive again

you shoulda just bought my corolla
Anthony, you sold the corolla? That thing is bad ***.

Quick Reply: B-ver's Build Thread