Notices
Drift SCCA Formula Drift, Drift Showoff, Drift Session, Drift Day, D1 Grand Prix, Drift Nation

B-ver's Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 06:52 AM
Royal_T

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice Alex...Things are coming together nicely. What other things do you have to do before you fire that baby up?

And that last pics is funny as hell...lol...
Old 06-05-2009, 02:08 PM
bbhiznors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow...sick build
Old 06-08-2009, 06:26 AM
AlexPfeiffer

Originally Posted by Royal_T
Nice Alex...Things are coming together nicely. What other things do you have to do before you fire that baby up?

And that last pics is funny as hell...lol...
I still need injectors, wastegate, make the exhaust, and then wireing. So hopefully 3 weeks.

Mounted up the oil cooler and adaptor. Originally it had some small pipe thread on the adaptor but welded on some -12 fittings since the oil cooler has -12's on it.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:07 PM
AlexPfeiffer

Going to take the car to Spocom this weekend, so started putting a bunch of the small stuff in. The car wont be running of coarse, still too much to get done, so its more important to get the car looking good right now. Did alot today, like finished off the fuel lines, got all the vacume ports in, started running some of the other lines, all while Naoki from Drift Day was working on graphics. Sneak peak time.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Royal_T

can you say HOT LIKE Fira!!!
Old 06-09-2009, 10:45 AM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What's the punch list to have her fired and running??
Old 06-10-2009, 07:38 AM
AlexPfeiffer

it needs
injectors (looking for 1000cc peak and hold bosch type)
exhaust,
wastegate and dump pipe
then a few days to do the wireing.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:30 PM
AlexPfeiffer

Here's some pics from spocom today. Forgive my crappy point and shoot.

This one you can see the metalic on the hood from House of Kolors

Old 06-14-2009, 11:52 PM
BaileyM1

I don't like the flames at all, but I love the flowers. You should do a flower pattern of some kind. I think that would look rad.

Also, the doors, hood, and trunk; are they staying unpainted for sponsor reasons? I definitely think it would look better painted, but if you've got to leave them for sponsor reasons, I guess there's not much you can do.

Single color + flower livery + Big Wing = Perfect.

Overall, the car looks great though. I can't wait to see it running.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:34 AM
AZVeilsideZ

Looks great!! What did you end up doing to make your wheels and tires fit? Eariler on they were poking way out and you were trying to determine on whether you needed new wheels or not. And it looks like the same wheels and same tire sizes!
Old 06-15-2009, 11:26 AM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like it came together nicely!! Still not running though?
Old 06-17-2009, 05:40 PM
fatlace_ak21

Nice Build, you drift the Soarer yet?
Old 06-17-2009, 11:12 PM
Royal_T

Love the flowers,, I think that they should be all over the car.

Can't wait to hear this thing fire up
Old 06-19-2009, 08:41 AM
AlexPfeiffer

Still not running yet. Been working on the wireing the last few days. Not sure if I'm going to keep the flames or not. When you see the car in person it matches the powdercoat and flows, but in pictures it just looks kinda weird.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:13 AM
ATX350

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on flame removal. I'm amazed how far the car came in such a short time. Looking forward to videos.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:00 PM
ufoz8mycow

+500 flame removal... but the flower theme could be cool if done in a cool way
Old 07-05-2009, 10:00 PM
AlexPfeiffer

Im sorry to everyone that has been following this thread. Not because of the flames, but because I havent really kept up with the updates laitly. Well most of the last couple weeks have been spent on wireing which doesnt include many pics. I did get the exhaust done over the weekend which was one of the last big things missing on this project. Its 98% ready to fire up, still needs some wireing and things like breathers for the valve covers.

Picked up some injectors, thanks to Bob over at Drift Office, he ordered some out of his own pocket and didnt allow me to pay for them. Picked up new connectors and had to reuse alot of the pins off the stock harness. What took alot of my time was taking out and reusing so many of the connectors to make the harnesses. To be honest, I just suck at wireing. I can make it work but I'm really not that good at sitting there soldering and heat shrinking so many things. Here's some pics of the progress.

Got me a tial V44, cut off the original 4 bolt flange and welded on the vband. Fits so nice.

Starting on the down pipe. Goes from 3.5" to 4"

Not a real fan of the cut and weld method but didnt really have much of a choice with how tight the radius needed to be. I feel so JDM for some reason. Splits from 4" to twin 3" next to the gate. Yeah its a tight fit.

Megan racing is up the street from us, and I usually help them out with setting up thier team cars, they help me out when I need stuff. So I went threw thier pile of damaged exhausts and basicly grabbed anything in 3". It took about 12 of thier exhausts to cut appart to make the twin pipes running under my car. I know its not pretty but at least its free.

I hate wires.

More hate on wires. Didnt even take a pic of the finished product.

There is something else that has come up this week. One of the FD teams was looking for a driver and asked if I wanted to come out today for testing (july 5th) at Drift Day and I agreed. Tanaka racing (http://site.tanakaracing.net/Home_Page.html) has a blown 427 with about 700hp and 750 torque vette, how could you not want to. A few of my friends were out there as well and I must say, its nice to have that much power. You really dont need to push the gas more then half way at any time, the 295 nitto's are just spinning. At first we did some open area drifts and the car was nice. Really predictable. With Taka's help we sort of mapped out the track size for Formula D and set up a practice track. Thats when things got a bit hairy, driving in this 800 foot by 350 foot area seemed to bring some problems out in the steering. I felt uneasy and would over shoot the corner. We made some drastic adjustments to the car that changed how the car reacted to inputs while in drift and it started to regain its comfort level.

Well long story short, they asked if I would like to drive it next week in vegas for Formula D, and after talking it over with a few friends, I agreed to drive. I'm really excited to get this chance as a driver to be behind the wheel, not in just any car but one that is already a proven contender.

Dont give up on my project because I havent. Still putting hours of work in and I'm so close to getting her running, then its time for testing.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:21 PM
BaileyM1

The Tanaka C5 is horribly ugly, but I'm sure it's fun as hell to drive.

Good luck in Vegas. It'll be cool to see you back out at FD.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:14 PM
AlexPfeiffer

This is the dry weight. Did the final alignment today but there are still a bunch of stuff missing from the car like gas, oil, trans fluid, passenger seat, mirrors, and other stuff so this is just the dry weight. To me just having the car under 3000lbs is really good for her. I know if I built the same car again that I could bring the weight down even more but I'm really happy to be in this area right now. Down side is that the car is maxed out on what I can do with the alignment. I have to run it the way she is and see what she feels like before any changes can be made. 53% front weight isnt too bad, usually try to be closer to 52%. For some reason the cars I've driven that was at 52% felt the best.

Just worked on alot of small things mostly. Trying to get the car ready to fire up. Turbo mounted in for the last time, added a power steering cooler, also added a line lock but installed it on the rear brakes so that I can lock out the rear instead of locking in the fronts. They require us to keep moving durring burn outs, need to keep rolling or you end up digging into the track surface, so since the rear brakes are big, added the line lock just to delete the rear brakes, that way they are not dragging while your trying to do rolling burn outs.

Got to still run some hoses and such and need to go pick that up. Dont have much time before vegas so spent some of it getting the scooters up and running, and taking care of orders.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:55 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexPfeiffer

This is the dry weight. Did the final alignment today but there are still a bunch of stuff missing from the car like gas, oil, trans fluid, passenger seat, mirrors, and other stuff so this is just the dry weight. To me just having the car under 3000lbs is really good for her. I know if I built the same car again that I could bring the weight down even more but I'm really happy to be in this area right now. Down side is that the car is maxed out on what I can do with the alignment. I have to run it the way she is and see what she feels like before any changes can be made. 53% front weight isnt too bad, usually try to be closer to 52%. For some reason the cars I've driven that was at 52% felt the best.

Just worked on alot of small things mostly. Trying to get the car ready to fire up. Turbo mounted in for the last time, added a power steering cooler, also added a line lock but installed it on the rear brakes so that I can lock out the rear instead of locking in the fronts. They require us to keep moving durring burn outs, need to keep rolling or you end up digging into the track surface, so since the rear brakes are big, added the line lock just to delete the rear brakes, that way they are not dragging while your trying to do rolling burn outs.

Got to still run some hoses and such and need to go pick that up. Dont have much time before vegas so spent some of it getting the scooters up and running, and taking care of orders.
That is freakin light man nice..

Quick Reply: B-ver's Build Thread