Notices
Drift SCCA Formula Drift, Drift Showoff, Drift Session, Drift Day, D1 Grand Prix, Drift Nation

Drifting the z

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 12:00 PM
TheresaZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CRIDDA
I smell another troll. Mods ip check???
Why yes! Your sense of smell works very well, right on!
Old 05-12-2009, 12:02 PM
TheresaZ

Originally Posted by ZBigDog
Nope, I use my 03 Touring for pimping purposes only and plan on having her for at least 10 more years so racing/drifting/too-fast-too furious expeditions are not in the plan for me and my Z.
lol smart thinking
Old 05-12-2009, 12:02 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by tanabe350z
welcome and can we get some pics of the car, lol and maybe a drift section would be nice to have on this forum
we have a regular drift section.........no need for another....

see the link i posted...

-J
Old 05-12-2009, 12:03 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBigDog
Nope, I use my 03 Touring for pimping purposes only and plan on having her for at least 10 more years so racing/drifting/too-fast-too furious expeditions are not in the plan for me and my Z.
poor Z........
Old 05-12-2009, 12:15 PM
Septic

Lol this is funny. New members are so bl00dy nervous about posting on here!
Come on lads- we need to make this a more welcoming environment!

As for drifting....don't ask me just yet. I'm not well versed in this rather intricate art of car control- the remains of a granny trying to cross a bendy road near my house is evidence of this fact.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:45 PM
DFW Z33
I am salad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheresaZ
Hi! I'm pretty nervous posting this new thread for 2 reasons: First of all, I'm a girl with a 6 speed manual z! Second, I've read some pretty cruel threads posted earlier. I just wanted to know what you guys think about drifting a stock z. I've heard that taking off cruise control (with the button) is not enough. Has anyone tried to drift their z? And please don't bother if you are just going to say I'm stupid since Chris Forsberg drifts a z...mine is stock! Also it seems like the steering angle is quite limited. Educate me please
i have a feeling there is a LOT of educating on its way
Old 05-12-2009, 01:11 PM
jubes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're Z is your Daily Driver, I really don't know if you'd want to consider the mods used for drifting unless you don't mind spending the money on it, which seems like you really don't want to do.

If I were you I would read the posting Jason posted for you on "Drifting 101" then I would either talk to people who drift legally or go to a local gymkhana event in your area. Usually those are monitored with safety crews if an accident should happen. Those are the people you should consider talking to in regards to building your Z for those purposes.

As for drifting on streets, I really do not support it or suggest it even be done, unless you want to be arrested for wreckless driving and public endangerment, or if you publically admit this on the forums, ridiculed beyond belief from other forum members for being an idiot and risking innocent lives for your enjoyment.

Other than that, good luck in your venture in drifting.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:18 PM
CircleHeartX

Hi! I'm pretty nervous posting this new thread for 2 reasons: First of all, I'm a girl with a 6 speed manual z! Second, I've read some pretty cruel threads posted earlier. I just wanted to know what you guys think about drifting a stock z. I've heard that taking off cruise control (with the button) is not enough. Has anyone tried to drift their z? And please don't bother if you are just going to say I'm stupid since Chris Forsberg drifts a z...mine is stock! Also it seems like the steering angle is quite limited. Educate me please
I have no info more then what they have told you already, but nice to see a girl around that wants do get down n dirty kudos
Old 05-12-2009, 01:39 PM
xUSAFxxTACPx

If you want to learn how to drift, take a course or just practice with cones in an empty parking lot. I have drifted my Z, not in competition, but in the streets. Now, I'm sure just about 95% of the people on these forums has tinkered around with it in the streets, no matter what they say. After about 3 months of beating up on her, I needed a new clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, and all of the bearings to go with it. Just take off the TCS/VDC and it's easy to break her loose. Just remember, a new transmission is not something cheap, sure you already now, and I don't know how experienced you are at mechanics, but it's not a 5 minute job...Good luck on learning, maybe you can teach me! LOL!
Old 05-12-2009, 01:47 PM
TheresaZ

Originally Posted by RedLine 350z
You can still drift on a stock 350z with no AM suspension setup. I have drifted mine on a closed course and it's just as good. The suspension is stiff enough and the car is powerful enough to continue your drifting. My friend who also drifts drives a stock AE86 and can drift without sputtering. He only had AM springs and still looked good at drifting. The main thing is that you can drift almost anything (even fwd) if you are determined. Only sugguestion is to practice it at a closed course.
Wow impressive. That's good to know that you have some natural talent. I knew I could find someone who could drift a stock z
Old 05-12-2009, 01:50 PM
kensin0429

go watch initial d
you will learn alot
Old 05-12-2009, 01:52 PM
CircleHeartX

Yeah i have a buddy that can drift just about anything..so it comes down to talent and how serious you want to get.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:58 PM
TheresaZ

Originally Posted by xUSAFxxTACPx
If you want to learn how to drift, take a course or just practice with cones in an empty parking lot. I have drifted my Z, not in competition, but in the streets. Now, I'm sure just about 95% of the people on these forums has tinkered around with it in the streets, no matter what they say. After about 3 months of beating up on her, I needed a new clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, and all of the bearings to go with it. Just take off the TCS/VDC and it's easy to break her loose. Just remember, a new transmission is not something cheap, sure you already now, and I don't know how experienced you are at mechanics, but it's not a 5 minute job...Good luck on learning, maybe you can teach me! LOL!
Amen on that! And yes I do know the tranny is a b*tch....on teaching you...ha! I only know the concepts of what to do but applying it is a different story. Plus I don't want to risk crashing it...my poor z already suffered damages. On two occasions two older women backed into my car. Once was in the front (little scratch on the front bumper) and the second time the lady dented my whole driver side door. Of course she paid me but I used it o pay off my school loans
Old 05-12-2009, 02:02 PM
TheresaZ

Originally Posted by CircleHeartX
Yeah i have a buddy that can drift just about anything..so it comes down to talent and how serious you want to get.
Yep I have a buddy that drifted a stock genesis coupe and parked it right in between the linesTalent!
Old 05-12-2009, 03:38 PM
NyCSnEaK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ha.ha. no i'm not 17! jerk! I did read the post about 17 yrd olds. Thanks for the welcome though..
Pleasure to meet ya.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:18 PM
TheresaZ

Originally Posted by NyCSnEaK
Pleasure to meet ya.
FYI My first car was a '91 Nissan Maxima, second was '01 s2k, third was '97 honda civic ex, then the z is my forth
Old 05-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Flick Montana

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol. no i haven't tried drifting in the street. I have before with my s2k. Not the z, i value it way too much. So no. I don't have much drifting experience. My question is, do you? Not that i do drift in the streets but some good drifters i know started in the streets and do end up on the tracks. The only thing i did on the track was autocross with the z, pretty fun
No offense of course. We have to do a check, you know.

I've never personally drifted before. Looks kind of boring to me. Good luck with it though. Post some track vids if you ever get around to it.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:47 PM
2boosted4u

me and my friends cone off a vista point off of a local highway and the CHP dont mind since were nowhere near anyone or anything(side of the road is dirt) with that said i use to drift my ford lightning had 530wftlbs and made it easy to keep sideways.. find an parking lot that no one goes to and start to pop the clutch and turn and see what it does... learn from there...dont drift on the public roads unless you want a wreckless driving ticket which arent cheap not to mention you insurance will kill you... the only way to learn how to drift is to do it...so try out some dounuts and some turns when its raining. thats the best time cause its easier on everything(especially your tires)..oh yea welcome to the site...and becareful what you post these guys are ruthless!!
Old 05-12-2009, 05:59 PM
Z33_kid

1. you must upgrade many parts
2. chris forsberg is a pro and has a drift car yours is stock
3.after a few runs you will need to replace parts and the car might be in a few accidents

try a few drift forums and practice makes perfect good luck
Old 05-13-2009, 07:38 AM
nismo69

Just have fun! I love drifting my z and accidents will happen. So start in a big parking lot.

Quick Reply: Drifting the z