Notices
Drift SCCA Formula Drift, Drift Showoff, Drift Session, Drift Day, D1 Grand Prix, Drift Nation

Clutch for drifting and daily driving.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:39 AM
HATED1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch for drifting and daily driving.

Hey guys, i recently attended a drift event yesterday and found that the stock clutch on a 2006 tends to stick after it has been warmed up, Not slipping, but rather does not engage to the full upward position. I was told that the clutch was warm and needed to cool down, after 10 -20 mins everything was good again. But i missed alot of my runs. My question is what clutch would you experienced drifters recommend when it comes to drifting? keep in my mind i have stock power and don't plan on upgrading to more power anytime soon. I also daily drive this so something not to aggressive. The use of the car is 90% daily driving and 10% drifting if that helps. thanks for any input. Oh and should i do a clutch and flywheel? or just clutch? car has 50,000 miles.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:00 PM
theianmcdougall

i too drift on my stock clutch + daily it, mines works well for stock but im sure ill upgrade one day as well, i would recommend just go for the whole clutch and flywheel setup

as far as which one you want, it depends on how much power you have and how hard of engement you want
Old 04-22-2010, 01:11 PM
ATX350

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Hated. I know exactly what you are talking about regarding the clutch sticking. I'm only able to get 2-3 runs in before I encounter the same problem and eventually it starts slipping. I'm set on getting the OS Giken twin plate which is a bit over kill for most but have plans on hitting 500whp in the future.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:57 PM
HATED1

so after research, first thing im gonna do is change the clutch fluid out to motul rbf 600, to see it that works, got another event im going to in May, so we'll see how that turns out.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:34 PM
JPsZ

get a stainless steel clutch line while you're at it. they're not too expensive.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:53 PM
Bigalow

Originally Posted by HATED1
Hey guys, i recently attended a drift event yesterday and found that the stock clutch on a 2006 tends to stick after it has been warmed up, Not slipping, but rather does not engage to the full upward position. I was told that the clutch was warm and needed to cool down, after 10 -20 mins everything was good again. But i missed alot of my runs. My question is what clutch would you experienced drifters recommend when it comes to drifting? keep in my mind i have stock power and don't plan on upgrading to more power anytime soon. I also daily drive this so something not to aggressive. The use of the car is 90% daily driving and 10% drifting if that helps. thanks for any input. Oh and should i do a clutch and flywheel? or just clutch? car has 50,000 miles.
Hated1, it's not the clutch that's sticking its the clutch fluid that's nasty. Change it for OEM. That's fine since you don't drift that often: https://my350z.com/forum/vq35hr/4087...rinds-5th.html

I would recommend the JWT clutch/FW combo. It's has an overall good weight output and they're both solid products. Of course there's better out there but you should be fine with them... Yes, change them at the same time.
http://www.*********.com/zwiki/Flywheels

The recommendation for a SS clutch isn't bad either. I bought my NISMO SS line on Ebay for a Nissan of West Covina.

Make sure to change out your other fluids as well and perhaps think a cooling down your powersteering with a better cooling solution. JasonZ, custom made his. He's a bit crazy but he knows his stuff.
https://my350z.com/forum/drift/46282...-drifting.html
Old 04-28-2010, 03:57 PM
HATED1

thanks for the inpuit, i ordered a ss clutch line and will be switching the clutch fluid to the motul rbf 600 stuff, hopefully that will solve the problem, i'll take baby steps before changing the clutch for now, i'll do the ps fluid as well, thanks again,
Old 04-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Bigalow

thanks for the inpuit, i ordered a ss clutch line and will be switching the clutch fluid to the motul rbf 600 stuff, hopefully that will solve the problem, i'll take baby steps before changing the clutch for now, i'll do the ps fluid as well, thanks again,
Sorry my previous post should've read: "change your transmission fluid for OEM."

Yeah, the RBF600 is good stuff. It's exactly what I use in my car.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:58 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigalow

Make sure to change out your other fluids as well and perhaps think a cooling down your powersteering with a better cooling solution. *JasonZ-YA, custom made his. He's a bit crazy but he knows his stuff.
https://my350z.com/forum/drift/46282...-drifting.html

LOL, yes the power steering cooler mod is a great upgrade, Hated your in WA so i doubt you get heat like texas does, but keep an eye and decide if thats something you need/want.... I would doubt it with WA weather, as my time living up there I cant see it being an issue.

Here is the thread of my PS cooler DIY upgrade:
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...power+steering

Hated,

Very good post have been made already.........and mine will be semi repetitive but i feel compelled to reply.....

I will also say i know exactly what your talking about, and I guarantee you one day you will go to a drift event and find that driving home will be horrible! yep, you will fry the clutch at the event even with fluid upgrades and it will almost be like a light switch from working/not working..........so please keep an upgraded clutch in mind............and down time is inevitable if you don't have the parts on hand..........etc....then again your in a cooler climate so maybe you will be fine..........no real way of telling.....depends on your clutch and abuse, etc..etc...

CLUTCH:

I also recommend the JWT clutch for your 90/10% needs, Flywheel is of course optional but if you have the money and your dropping the tranny for a clutch install - then that's of course the best time to do it....

THROW OUT BEARING:

New one will come with the clutch you buy - or should......it does with the JWT

FLYWHEEL:

For someone with your 90/10% use - i also recommend the JWT flywheel as it has a removable flywheel friction plate and is serviceable/replaceable and the replacement friction plate is quite affordable. note- any aftermarket lighter flywheel will have some chatter noise - research it, its common - again your decision on that issue.

NOTE:

I recommend the JWT flywheel with the removable friction plate due to your use since any dedicated track/drift guy will tell you that a solid flywheel is better for heat dissipation through out the entire one piece fly over a two peice friction plate flywheel........but given your drifting needs its better to have a removable one as when the time comes that you need to upgrade the clutch AGAIN down the road you can replace friction plates for cheap at the same time.............

ROLLER BEARING:
While installing the clutch i recommend the Nismo roller bearing as well

PIVOT BALL:
The pivot ball is also something you can upgrade - i have yet to see one break, nor have i seen any post of any breaking, but its "advertised" as being stronger, so sure, whatever get one of those if you wish.

FLUID and FLUID LINE:

Clutch line i do recommend the SSline and motul RBF600 fluid.......the fluid alone will stiffen up the pedal and give you a NEW firmer feel....

CLUTCH RESERVOIR MOD:
I would also recommend this fairly inexpensive clutch mod
- as you will find that bleeding the 03-06 clutch system is very time consuming.

EXTRA HINT:
For some reason, the JWT clutch no longer comes with the clutch alignment tool............its 5 bucks at courtesy parts dot come but keep that in mind if your installing it yourself, or inquire if the shop you have doing the install has the correct Nissan clutch alignment tool...........its black plastic usually.

I have most of what i have written here on my car.......or i have directly installed/seen first hand all these products work and work well..........

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 04-28-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:06 PM
HATED1

thanks for the reply guys, trying to make the z last through an event without any problems and loss of runs, trying not to spend too much at this time, but will eventually drop money for the clutch/flywheel combo. Ill see how the ss clutch line, change of ps fluid to Redline and clutch fluid to RBF 600, goes. So far the 2 way nismo lsd has been great, stance coilovers need to be dampened to a stiffer setting, and rear stock tires need to be deflated from 38 psi to 33ish? for more grip. running stock apart form those things mentioned.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Lawn Dart

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I competely shredded the stock clutch at 24,000 miles. Clutch kicks destroy it. I've been using the Nismo Coppermix clutch and flywheel for a few years now and I'm extremely happy. It definitely holds up to the abuse and is also very civil.

BTW - I'm using stock Nissan clutch (dot 3 brake) fluid and the stock clutch line.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:11 PM
zerosec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u can't go wrong with a Nismo clutch
Old 05-13-2010, 04:28 PM
Bigalow

^^^
There's cheaper, lighter, and better out there.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:02 PM
Tatakai

as much as i hate to recommend it, a lot of us cheap drifters use the ebay XTD clutch. $150 shipped, and they last anywhere from 6 months to several years of drifting/clutch kicking abuse. and besides, if it gives out after 6 months, you only spent $150..

any good 6 puck should last. use a steel braided clutch line, but i doubt your oem one is worn out. if you do plan on making good power, and you want a clutch that will last a long time and never give you any problems till the day it dies- go with an os giken twin disk. near stock pedal feel, and holds all the power you can throw at it.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:57 AM
DEMoLITIoN

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep the stock flywheel and get very good clutch. You'll be able to drift for years on that setup.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:43 PM
ImportIntellige

I've been recomending the competition clutch 6 puck sprung hub for quite some time, it's easy to engage/slip and it holds up great for drifting. I've seen cheaper clutches pucks fly off and sometimes break and crack the bellhousing. Your $150 clutch may cost you a trans in the long run.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:20 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Not much of a drifter, but have done it in the past. JWT flywheel is great, but i wouldn't recomend the clutch to anyone drifting. Coming of the twin plate in my skyline to the JWT is night and day. The JWT just doesn't clutch kick very well.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:16 PM
Gruppe-S
Vendor - Former Vendor

ACT Clutch is the best way to go, we run ACT clutches on all of our drift cars and they take the beating like a champ.

we ran an ACT Clutch on the Hankook Tire 350z, and its currently on our drift GTR. You can't go wrong all our guys at the shop run it in their cars and we swear by it.

Plus the price point on them is really really good. Hope this helps you out!
Old 06-10-2010, 03:40 PM
HATED1

Originally Posted by Gruppe-S
ACT Clutch is the best way to go, we run ACT clutches on all of our drift cars and they take the beating like a champ.

we ran an ACT Clutch on the Hankook Tire 350z, and its currently on our drift GTR. You can't go wrong all our guys at the shop run it in their cars and we swear by it.

Plus the price point on them is really really good. Hope this helps you out!
can you point me to the specific clutch/flywheel combo you are referring too? i am interested in upgrading, thanks for the input!
Old 06-10-2010, 04:22 PM
Gruppe-S
Vendor - Former Vendor

can you point me to the specific clutch/flywheel combo you are referring too? i am interested in upgrading, thanks for the input!
Flywheel is one of those things while you are there you should upgrade since the cost in labor for getting the clutch replaced it quite high.

My recommendations on a setup would be

If you DD it and want to have lighter engagement on the clutch with good pedal pressure:
ACT HD Pressure Plate with a Street Disc
ACT Streetlite Flywheel - They have a

If you can deal with a harder grab on the clutch with less clutch room to play with that will give you a stronger grab
ACT HD Pressure Plate with a 6 Puck Sprung Disc
ACT Streetlite Flywheel

They also have a ACT Prolite flywheel but engagement in the clutch will be alot more harsh.

Whats nice about ACT is that the HD pressure plate gives you good clutch pedal pressure, its more firm than stock but its not insanely stiff so its a perfect setup for daily driving but you can also get a good setup that performs.

In the end it all depends on what you are willing to deal with the a street disc will perform well, and a 6 puck can handle more and the clutch kicks will have a nice bite on them, but on the flip side you have to daily this thing and its more harsh on engagement. If you have any questions let me know just drop me a PM and i can help you out!

Last edited by Gruppe-S; 06-10-2010 at 04:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Clutch for drifting and daily driving.