Notices
Drift SCCA Formula Drift, Drift Showoff, Drift Session, Drift Day, D1 Grand Prix, Drift Nation

Under $2000 coiloversfor drift,which would u recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 05:24 AM
CTZ860

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought stance and bc's were just for slammin cars....not really performance/drift worthy....obviously better than stock but many other choices....i am surprised to see so many recommending them for drifting.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:05 AM
Junkster

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

My guess would be its cause they have very little to compare too...

I have megan streets on my car, and i "love" them...but i really cant say they are any better than anything else untill i TRY something else.

after driving them for a few months i can see some room for improvement but im no suspension guru so my expertise is somewhat shot...
Old 09-08-2011, 02:43 PM
o.g.darkdrifter

I've driven on a few different brands of coilovers (megan street, megan track, Tein basics, Tein Mono flex, PBM's, HKS hipermax, Moton clubsports, several no name ebay 500 dollar coilovers, hell even frankenstein eibach/tokico spring shock setups). People who say that BC and Stance are just for "slamming" cars either have a blown pair, don't know how to install them properly, compare them to 5k or more dollar coilovers, or are pretty much just -insert any other brand- fanboys, or just extremely biased against anything they aren't familiar with. Expensive Race coilovers usually ride "rough" because they are made for winning, not making people comfortable. Other expensive coilovers are just way over hyped and you pay for the name.

As far as what a certain brand of coilover is capable of, do research. Watch some videos/check track times if you're concerned with extreme performance. Going by word of mouth about what coilovers aren't good from a forum is usually a terrible thing to do (even though a lot of times that's all we have). Suspension setups rely greatly on "feel", especially for drifting. What rides like *** to one guy might be exactly what you're looking for.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:37 PM
350Z Project X

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

last i checked PBM's were 1350 unless you are talking out the toe and camber arms those are $250 each set
Old 05-24-2012, 03:11 PM
350zDex

Ogdarkdrifter said it perfect
Old 06-15-2012, 09:17 AM
jiggysnitz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont understand how PBM coilovers got such a huge following. I have ridden in many and driven a couple of cars with PBM coilovers (all 240s) and the ride is just crap. They are oversprung and well under dampend but I guess the come in a popular color.

FortuneAuto is the best buy for the money if you ask me. Custom spring rates and valving available for your specific application for no extra charge, every shock is shock dyno'd and the charts look really good. Not to mention you get full rebuild services in the US. FA 500s can be had for UNDER $1k, 510s for $1200.

Also, 36 way adjustable is overkill and stupid. Sorry, I am no where near a good enough driver to tell the difference between 15/32 stiffness and 16/32 stiffness. Probably neither is anyone else who is buying suspension for this cheap. Anything over 8 adjustable is great for me.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:41 AM
Deedilus

Originally Posted by jiggysnitz
I dont understand how PBM coilovers got such a huge following. I have ridden in many and driven a couple of cars with PBM coilovers (all 240s) and the ride is just crap. They are oversprung and well under dampend but I guess the come in a popular color.
You're comparing 240sx coilovers to 350z coilovers. I have Powered by Max coilovers and I've driven and ridden in 240's with them as well. I agree the old generation s-chassis coilover ride was stupidly stiff and not great in any way. But the current range of coilovers I personally feel can't even be compared to their older generation coilovers. Mine are incredibly comfortable while being stiff at the same time, and perform absolutely awesomely. The S14 I rode in with their new generation of coilovers was very similar, they felt great.

Just my 2 cents. Fortune Auto's are very good as well, like Jiggly said.