Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

Need some help..Insurance company options.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 02:49 PM
LiveWire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help..Insurance company options.

Long story short, I have 3 tickets and an accident in the past three years, so im having trouble finding an insurance company...which sucks because the one I intended to use, the monthly payment was perfectly good for me. Also, I was going to pick up the Z this Friday....but now I might not be able to.

Does anyone know any insurance companies? and what the cost might be?

Old 03-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Reality350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dam that sux man..
You need Riskybusiness to chime in here..

RB, where are you!
Old 03-25-2008, 02:53 PM
goneinsixtyseconds

standard questions:
1. age?
2. specific location?
3. license class? for how long?
4. graduated university?
5. do you own your own house? own another vehicle?
Old 03-25-2008, 02:59 PM
LiveWire

Ok, everyone gets to know me now lol:

standard questions:
1. age?

2. specific location?
St.Clair and Christie. Toronto

3. license class? for how long?
G, 4-5 years now I believe

4. graduated university?
Graduated with my Masters Degree in December of 2007.

5. do you own your own house? own another vehicle?
I live with the parents. Half the time they are here in Canada, Half the time in Greece. I just graduated and got a new job. Was looking to get a new car. I sold my Acura.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:05 PM
goneinsixtyseconds

try td meloche monnex .. they give good discounts to university grads, but your record could be a problem. a friend of mine recently signed on with them after she was cancelled by another company (lots of accidents). you may also want to look into the company you have your home insurance with. multi-vehicle and multi-policy discounts yield pretty good results at some firms.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:05 PM
Reality350

have you called around?
I am with statefarm, and they are very fair with me.

A few things that will cause you grief...
The 3 tickets,
if you were convicted for speeding, you are going to have problems..

The accident,
if you were at fault, you are going to have problems..
Old 03-25-2008, 03:16 PM
LiveWire

Originally Posted by Reality350
have you called around?
I am with statefarm, and they are very fair with me.

A few things that will cause you grief...
The 3 tickets,
if you were convicted for speeding, you are going to have problems..

The accident,
if you were at fault, you are going to have problems..

Well it looks like in going to have some problems.

The accident happened at around 6am, after working 3 days straight non-stop for a presentation (architecture student, we dont sleep, and live in studio on campus). I didnt realize a pick-up truck was speeding up beside me as I was going home to take a shower and then head back to present - and I hit his side. Deemed my fault. Happened in my second year masters (of 4.5 years). So it should be over the years ago pretty soon, but apparently it still shows.

I had two tickets for seatbelts. And one for speeding, which I took to court and explained I was racing to my sisters house, who ex-boyfriend that had a restraining order was knocking down his door. I got the charge reduced dramatically to like 20 over, but it still shows.

Just a series of shitty luck that seems to never leave me. Hurts to know I can afford a car like this, but still find barriers in front of me.

Last edited by LiveWire; 03-25-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:25 PM
Reality350

hey man,

I think you will be ok. (well sort of)
If the at fault was almost 3 years ago, (iirc) it should be almost off of the insurance companies radar.

When did you get the speeding ticket? after about 3 years that should be gone as well.
I know this because my pops got 2 tickets about 3-4 years ago, and one has disappeared from the ins records..(yes my pops, not ME!)

You may want to PM Riskybusiness, he may be able to provide you with first hand knowledge, as he works within the industry.
Also pm 2thpwr, he was in a similar situation.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:32 PM
LiveWire

^ Thanks for prompt responses, I will look into it. !

I think the speeding ticket was at least 2 years ago.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Risky_Business
Quadrant 987c

Lightbulb Hey Op...

and all. I just did an FI fast read of this thread. OP...any losses or claims (yes, there is a difference) within five years will be applied to you. At faults are obviously more of a factor then not at faults.

Any tickets inside three years will apply.

From what you have stated, it sounds as if you currently have three minors and an at fault loss while, although almost off your record, will still be a factor for the time being. Not the best situation in the world but not the worse either.

Your problem...you are not going to qualify for a regular market insurer (I sense you are already aware of this).

My advice...contact a broker to obtain information with a sub standard carrier. Specifically, insurers include Kingsway, Pafco & Meloche. Brokers include Hub International, Easyway Insurance Brokers and CAA Insurance Brokers.

Further, at this point, you are not going to qualify for many if any discounts. Discounts include Multi-vehicle (I believe you only own one vehicle). Multi-policy (I do not believe you own your own property). Conviction and/or accident free (obviously not in your case). Age (usually only 50+) Etc.

Since you are in the position of not likely qualifying for discounts and you have a moderate record (like millions of individuals by the way), I suggest using a broker to obtain the best quote possible (with a respectable company).

From this, set up a six month policy. This is key in your case. If you can find an insurer who writes such (and many do) and you can behave yourself (which I am sure you will) you can be back to normalcy relatively quickly premium wise by writing with the regular market once you are clean.

Just some general info…

* Not very many companies offer discounts for the education component. Even so, such is limited to a year time period and is also based on your record.
* Not wearing the seatbelt is a killer. It is an easily avoidable conviction and I would suggest you ensure this doesn’t take place until your record is cleaned up (if ever again). It is a minor but again, easily avoidable on everyone's part.
* Premium is based on actuarial data wherein an underwriter will provide a rating (often referred to as a star) from your most recent at fault claim or loss. What you have going for you is that this is almost five years past and many companies consider this “almost perfect.” This is key. Work to maintain this. Seriously.

I’ve been up for 14 hours and just got in from the office (NOT W/ MY Z/FAIL). I may have missed something. If you have other questions, I’ll try to answer them.

Thanks.

Reality…I’ve been trying to find a buyer for my soul for a Turbo….interested? Inquire within!

Ps...this is not my longest post ever. Please see the post entitled "The Never Ending Story," (Part 1 of...)

Last edited by Risky_Business; 03-25-2008 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:04 PM
Reality350

^

Originally Posted by Risky_Business
Reality…I’ve been trying to find a buyer for my soul for a Turbo….interested? Inquire within!

I say we offer 2th, a 2 for 1 package...I need to keep up with you ******..
Old 03-25-2008, 07:22 PM
XuperXero

I'm in similar situation as the OP. Only difference is that he's 8 years older than me, which may yield him better rates.

3 tickets and one partial fault accident. My insurance immediately got cancelled with State Farm when I only had 2 tickets. I had to switch facility insurance through Perth. They gave me the cheapest facility/high risk insurance I could find.

IIRC it was $5800 for my 2004 350Z. Under my parent's name and me as occasional driver.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:25 PM
JZurita

State Farm FTW?

Better have good credit.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:27 PM
2TH PWR

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

Yoooooo,
I see I was listed as a reference. My problem was not with speeding tickets per say, while I did have 3 tickets, each less than 20 over spread out over 3 years, my problem had to do with the "extensive" modification of my vehicle. I've had no accidents. I'm also 28.

No company would take my 350Z because I was honest and said it was modified. I had to take it in for inspections blah blah blah. In the end I was referred to "facility" insurance which is a conglomeration of all the insurance companies. They will insure you when no one else will. So, now my rates with facility are like 220 a month. I lol'ed. All this fuss, my mods are insured, and it only cost like 50 a month more. I don't think that should be a big deal for most Z owners. So like Risky said, call up easyway insurance brokers. They will find someone for you, even if it has to be facility.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:16 AM
LiveWire

Originally Posted by Risky_Business
and all. I just did an FI fast read of this thread. OP...any losses or claims (yes, there is a difference) within five years will be applied to you. At faults are obviously more of a factor then not at faults.

Any tickets inside three years will apply.

From what you have stated, it sounds as if you currently have three minors and an at fault loss while, although almost off your record, will still be a factor for the time being. Not the best situation in the world but not the worse either.

Your problem...you are not going to qualify for a regular market insurer (I sense you are already aware of this).

My advice...contact a broker to obtain information with a sub standard carrier. Specifically, insurers include Kingsway, Pafco & Meloche. Brokers include Hub International, Easyway Insurance Brokers and CAA Insurance Brokers.

Further, at this point, you are not going to qualify for many if any discounts. Discounts include Multi-vehicle (I believe you only own one vehicle). Multi-policy (I do not believe you own your own property). Conviction and/or accident free (obviously not in your case). Age (usually only 50+) Etc.

Since you are in the position of not likely qualifying for discounts and you have a moderate record (like millions of individuals by the way), I suggest using a broker to obtain the best quote possible (with a respectable company).

From this, set up a six month policy. This is key in your case. If you can find an insurer who writes such (and many do) and you can behave yourself (which I am sure you will) you can be back to normalcy relatively quickly premium wise by writing with the regular market once you are clean.

Just some general info…

* Not very many companies offer discounts for the education component. Even so, such is limited to a year time period and is also based on your record.
* Not wearing the seatbelt is a killer. It is an easily avoidable conviction and I would suggest you ensure this doesn’t take place until your record is cleaned up (if ever again). It is a minor but again, easily avoidable on everyone's part.
* Premium is based on actuarial data wherein an underwriter will provide a rating (often referred to as a star) from your most recent at fault claim or loss. What you have going for you is that this is almost five years past and many companies consider this “almost perfect.” This is key. Work to maintain this. Seriously.

I’ve been up for 14 hours and just got in from the office (NOT W/ MY Z/FAIL). I may have missed something. If you have other questions, I’ll try to answer them.

Thanks.

Ps...this is not my longest post ever. Please see the post entitled "The Never Ending Story," (Part 1 of...)

Thanks for all the info, I am going to start calling people now.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:38 AM
LiveWire

Meh so far TD wont Insure me, and Easyway im waiting for them to call back. The hunt continues...
Old 03-26-2008, 06:06 AM
LiveWire

Ok wait a second, so I called up my insurance company, Accident was Jan 31, 2005. Is that not passed the three years? It should not be showing up then.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:12 AM
Reality350

^my info was incorrect, RB clarified that it would take 5 years to clear..
I think my fathers tickets may have been from 4 & 5 years ago.. The one that cleared must have hit the 5 year mark. He has not had any tickets since..
Old 03-26-2008, 01:17 PM
XuperXero

3 years to clear off your DMV record.
5 years to clear off your insurance record.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:46 PM
JZurita

Originally Posted by XuperXero
3 years to clear off your DMV record.
5 years to clear off your insurance record.
- Never clears off your DMV record
- Depends on the company

Quick Reply: Need some help..Insurance company options.