Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

RUST

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 10:30 AM
kasimmmmm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a friend who washes his car everytime he drives in salt. He has rust on his 06 civic Si already, that he bought in the end of 05!
Washing your car a lot during winter is not necessarily a good idea...
Here's the thing most ppl don't know... rust only happens when salt, water and air meet.
On a dry and cold day, if I have a film of salt on my car... i don't wash it, though most ppl would.
As soon as I see rain/snow or a wet/slushy day, I wash and dry my car before driving in it and after.
Also... its a good idea to wax/seal your car before winter and once winter is over.

I have an 04 civic, don't have the smallest area with rust. Same for my 03 Z33. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:41 AM
kasimmmmm

I heard some ppl saying rust proofing is crap and that it holds moisture, I don't know if thats completely true because what they use to rust proof is oil based, and oil doesn't retain water.
If you were to pour oil and water in a glass, you'll see it seperates..
Old 12-29-2008, 10:55 AM
JEFFOS69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kasimmmmm
I heard some ppl saying rust proofing is crap and that it holds moisture, I don't know if thats completely true because what they use to rust proof is oil based, and oil doesn't retain water.
If you were to pour oil and water in a glass, you'll see it seperates..

They are talking about the thick tar based coating - it dries out over time and holds in moisure.

The oil based stuff is good (like Krown) get it done every year.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:49 AM
kingrukus

Originally Posted by kasimmmmm
I have a friend who washes his car everytime he drives in salt. He has rust on his 06 civic Si already, that he bought in the end of 05!
Washing your car a lot during winter is not necessarily a good idea...
Here's the thing most ppl don't know... rust only happens when salt, water and air meet.
On a dry and cold day, if I have a film of salt on my car... i don't wash it, though most ppl would.
As soon as I see rain/snow or a wet/slushy day, I wash and dry my car before driving in it and after.
Also... its a good idea to wax/seal your car before winter and once winter is over.

I have an 04 civic, don't have the smallest area with rust. Same for my 03 Z33. Just my 2 cents.
I noticed the same thing. On one of my old maximas, i never washed it at all the first few winters, and it had zero rust. Then I started washing it often in the 3rd winter, and it started to develop rust. Of courses this is also due to the fact that the car was getting older, however I still blame washing it too frequently.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:54 AM
stanleylee

i am just wondering how long you guys planning to keep the car?
Old 01-09-2009, 02:50 AM
nissannx

I'm not one of the early posters, but my NX is a 1992. Sprayed virtually every year by Canadian Shield in Kitchener (like early Rust Check and Krown). There isn't a bolt rusted on - working on it is a dream, except I need lots of hand cleaner! LOL
Old 01-09-2009, 04:24 AM
edvy

i have been using krown for the last 4 winters. No rust spotted yet