Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

Do you still get charged tax if rims get shipped through USPS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 06:39 PM
maroli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you still get charged tax if rims get shipped through USPS?

I ask because I know they sometimes still charge tax on USPS stuff. The rims come in 4 large boxes, I will probably have to pay 8% tax still, right?
Old 02-24-2009, 06:44 PM
kingrukus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on what the value was declared at, and if its going air or ground. I find with USPS air, it ususally bypasses most of the tax. Overall it will be a lot less than dealing with UPS.

FYI about 6 years ago, I paid around $1000 for a set of rims shipped from SoCal with USPS to Brampton Ontario split among 4 different boxes. They all arrived on 4 different days within 1 week, and I paid around $50.00 total in duties on all 4 - I thought that was very fair.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:35 PM
maroli

Originally Posted by kingrukus
Depends on what the value was declared at, and if its going air or ground. I find with USPS air, it ususally bypasses most of the tax. Overall it will be a lot less than dealing with UPS.

FYI about 6 years ago, I paid around $1000 for a set of rims shipped from SoCal with USPS to Brampton Ontario split among 4 different boxes. They all arrived on 4 different days within 1 week, and I paid around $50.00 total in duties on all 4 - I thought that was very fair.
www.thefinalcost.com says I'd probably only save 70...and I hear tracking and insurance with USPS is bad compared to UPS.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:40 PM
JjL

i paid 650 custom fees through ups so i never do ups no more. the guy said 162 custom fee and i was like ok then he said each box then im like wtfbbq
Old 02-24-2009, 07:44 PM
Asian Invasian

are you asking this question for the rims i am going to sell you?
I have no idea what you guys are talking about but let me know if you want me to ship it through ups or usps.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:06 PM
kingrukus

Originally Posted by maroli
www.thefinalcost.com says I'd probably only save 70...and I hear tracking and insurance with USPS is bad compared to UPS.
I think you will save a lot more than that going with USPS over UPS, provided they are both delcared at the same vlaue. However, as you mentioned tracking with USPS is worse.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:22 PM
bender

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Asian Invasian
I have no idea what you guys are talking about but let me know if you want me to ship it through ups or usps.
When you ship a purchase over the border, you pay taxes for that item. You probably have never noticed because you have everything at your disposal within your own country, and really have no need to make purchases from outside.

As for the thread starter, the answer is yes but not always.
-Items shipped through USPS will sometimes go through tax free.
-Items shipped through UPS will ALWAYS be charged tax.
-UPS charges insane "brokerage" fees. Most of the time brokerage is pretty much equal to whatever you paid in taxes. So essentially, you're paying twice.
-USPS Brokerage is capped I believe at something like $5.
-There's no proper tracking with USPS since they pass their items off to Canada Post. You can get a tracking number, but it will only detail up to its travel to the border.
- UPS tracking numbers work fine in Canada and you can be updated on your items location throughout both countries.
- UPS does all the work. USPS passes on its items to Canada Post. I have never had an issue with an item, but if you do, you'd probably had wished you used UPS.

Last edited by bender; 02-24-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:42 PM
Reality350

Originally Posted by Asian Invasian
stalker!
Old 02-24-2009, 09:13 PM
maroli

Originally Posted by JjL
i paid 650 custom fees through ups so i never do ups no more. the guy said 162 custom fee and i was like ok then he said each box then im like wtfbbq
good God almighty.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:28 PM
maroli

I think the guy's just checking to see that there hasn't been any 'Maroli scammed me!!!!' threads in this section. Although I'm always the one buying stuff, so its hard to scam someone that way....and no-one left any feedback for me either
Old 02-25-2009, 01:56 AM
XuperXero

My experiences:

UPS - quick shipping, reliable and frequently updated tracking. But I paid a $40 brokerage for a $80 item.

USPS - shipping was longer than UPS, but the place was a bit further than the place where I used UPS. Tracking updates are horrible, I could never tell when it was gonna arrive. However, no brokerage or duties, which kinda makes up for it.

Both times, they were insured at retail value and ground, not air.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:56 AM
dohc350z

Thumbs up

Hey I bought an exhaust through ebay last week, got it yesterday (from Cali to Qc) by FEDEX and no taxes ! Either FEDEX or DHL are good carrier. UPS owned me once...

DOHC350z
Old 02-25-2009, 04:15 AM
350z-Jim

Originally Posted by JjL
You didn't pay $650 in customs fees going through UPS. You paid 8% PST, 5 or 6% GST, probably Duty 6% because it's not covered under NAFTA (if made outside USA/Canada/Mexico) then Ups's brokerage fee. 90% of your fee's you paid $650 (I believe you) was all to the government.

UPS or USPS generally you will pay taxes and duty. On smaller boxes they get through USPS all the time with no tax. Something like Rim's are not gonna be that lucky. They will impose all the same costs as UPS will.

Honestly you are better to ship with UPS and select a service that pays the taxes and duty upfront and it will help you a lot.

Originally Posted by XuperXero
My experiences:

UPS - quick shipping, reliable and frequently updated tracking. But I paid a $40 brokerage for a $80 item.

USPS - shipping was longer than UPS, but the place was a bit further than the place where I used UPS. Tracking updates are horrible, I could never tell when it was gonna arrive. However, no brokerage or duties, which kinda makes up for it.

Both times, they were insured at retail value and ground, not air.
That sucks because when you ship to the USA there is no brokerage if an item is under $200. SO why do we get charged? Thats such a **** off.

I have received some items less than $200 from UPS now that I think of it and I only paid taxes... I just received a box for $96 bux and the COD for taxes was $14 and change.... hmm.. How long ago was this?

Last edited by 350z-Jim; 02-25-2009 at 04:20 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:16 AM
350z-Jim

Originally Posted by dohc350z
Hey I bought an exhaust through ebay last week, got it yesterday (from Cali to Qc) by FEDEX and no taxes ! Either FEDEX or DHL are good carrier. UPS owned me once...

DOHC350z
Sorry to break your bubble, but Fedex sends an invoice for the taxes and duty after the fact. Watch your mail because it is coming. When you receive it, post here and tell us how much it is. It is coming, trust me.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:56 AM
dohc350z

Angry

really ?? :-S ok, i'm gonna check my mail...But I got the exhaust sent at my pharmacy, so it's a business address...We'll see..

DOHC350z
Old 02-25-2009, 07:23 AM
XuperXero

I just remembered, my buddy ordered some stuff through SPL, about $400 worth. He had them ship through UPS expedited as we needed the parts asap, a lot more expensive. But when we saw the UPS truck come, we were pretty shocked when the guy left after he signed. No duty, no brokerage, nothing. It's possible that it was included in the expedited package. It was a big box too (enough to fit sway bars and some other suspension arms).
Old 02-25-2009, 07:58 AM
Reality350

Originally Posted by 350z-Jim
Sorry to break your bubble, but Fedex sends an invoice for the taxes and duty after the fact. Watch your mail because it is coming. When you receive it, post here and tell us how much it is. It is coming, trust me.
+100
Old 02-25-2009, 08:26 AM
JjL

Originally Posted by 350z-Jim
+101 ordered 3 set of rims within a month and a month or so later i get 3 letter of 140 custom fee for each set of rims after.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:29 AM
maroli

UPS offers a service called 'worldwide ease', where you don't pay any of that crap after they deliver.

I just remembered, my buddy ordered some stuff through SPL, about $400 worth. He had them ship through UPS expedited as we needed the parts asap, a lot more expensive. But when we saw the UPS truck come, we were pretty shocked when the guy left after he signed. No duty, no brokerage, nothing. It's possible that it was included in the expedited package. It was a big box too (enough to fit sway bars and some other suspension arms).
Old 02-25-2009, 04:36 PM
350z-Jim

Yeah expedited includes brokerage and may times its cheaper to ship expedited because you save that bullcrap $80 in brokerage.

Quick Reply: Do you still get charged tax if rims get shipped through USPS?