Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

Is it illegal to hold a "COPS AHEAD" sign few steps away from the cops?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 07:33 AM
smartidiot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it illegal to hold a "COPS AHEAD" sign few steps away from the cops?

Say if I hold up a "COPS/SPEED CAMERA AHEAD" poster a few steps away from the cops just to help some innocent citizens so that cops won't catch any fishes but smell my a*ss on that day.....

Would I be violating any traffic/criminal/civil law???
Old 07-16-2009, 08:00 AM
goneinsixtyseconds

there was a news article from jim kenzie about this issue, but he flashed his lights instead to warn oncoming traffic of a speed trap. he got ticketed for doing that, but later got it dropped.

let me try to find the star article ...
Old 07-16-2009, 08:03 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 785 Posts

"innocent" people need you to warn them that cops are ahead? what for? They're innocent right?
Old 07-16-2009, 08:15 AM
MDHRZ

Post vids when they taser you..
Old 07-16-2009, 08:17 AM
smartidiot

Originally Posted by [MD]3FiFtY
Post vids when they taser you..

Why would they taser me if I am standing 200 feet away from them holding a poster on the sidewalk? (i am not even driving nor am i talking/threating anybody)
Old 07-16-2009, 09:04 AM
maroli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe its obstruction of justice?
Old 07-16-2009, 09:14 AM
goneinsixtyseconds

here's one of the articles from the star:

Warning of speed traps perfectly legal

Feb 09, 2008
Mark Toljagic

Special to the Star

There is nothing in the provincial legislation to prevent drivers from flashing their headlights to warn oncoming traffic of a police radar spot check, according to police and other officials.

Wheels readers have expressed their opinions about a recent Jim Kenzie story in which Brad Diamond, host of TSN's Motoring 2008, was charged under an obscure section of Ontario's Highway Traffic Act that regulates alternating flashing headlights typically used by emergency vehicles.

When Diamond challenged the charge in court, the case was dismissed because the charging officer had "no evidence," according to the prosecutor. In reality, the charge was erroneous and never should have been administered.

"It's not an offence under the Highway Traffic Act in Ontario," confirms Sgt. Cam Woolley of the Ontario Provincial Police. "Drivers are free to communicate with each other."

It's a practice as old as flywheel magnetos and wooden-spoke wheels.

"Ever since speeding laws were enacted, motorists have been warning each other," says Woolley. "Truckers use a lot of signals. They also warn each other on CB radio."

And there's no indication the Ontario Ministry of Transportation is about to amend the act.

"At this time, we are not looking to change the HTA to make it illegal for drivers to warn other motorists about radar traps," says ministry spokesperson Emna Dhahak.

Woolley says the police themselves often warn drivers of speed traps by announcing "hot zones" on radio stations, or by using pixelboards or fixed signs to identify school zones and other areas where radar may be present.

In fact, the OPP recently reverted to a traditional black-and-white paint scheme on their vehicles so that cruisers are easier to spot.

"Visibility is a key thing that we do," he says. "We want motorists to see our presence and act lawfully."

Despite their visibility, Woolley says, there's never a shortage of speeders flying right into their radar sights – which makes punishing the flashers a dubious exercise anyway.

But while the charge under HTA Section 169 is bogus – to use a legal term – there's nothing to prevent an officer from stopping and questioning motorists who are flashing their headlights.

"Flashing their lights can mean any number of things," says Woolley. "The driver may be in distress, may need medical attention or may be warning about a situation ahead, such as a collision."

To the drivers' surprise, the officer may use the opportunity to investigate the driver's status and insurance, outstanding warrants and the mechanical fitness of the vehicle. While roadside interrogations may smack of police harassment to some, Woolley defends the practice.

"You can get stopped for just driving your car," he says. "We catch some very dangerous criminals on minor traffic violations."

In other words, flashers attract the attention of the police and could be given the third degree.

"We used to ask drivers if there was anything wrong with their car," recalls Brian Lawrie, president of Pointts, a private traffic court agent and a former police officer himself. "So we'd direct them into a safety lane for a full inspection."

As a defender of motorists today, Lawrie says he's rarely seen the Section 169 charge come up in his company's case files.

"It's not a common charge," he says.

More accurately it's Section 168, the improper use of high beams at night, that police are apt to invoke when they see drivers flashing others motorists.

"I've defended two drivers who did this at night. Both were convicted, by the way, as the judges agreed with police that flashing constituted a distraction that hampered driver safety."

Section 168 does not apply during daylight hours, says Mig Roberts, a spokesperson for Toronto Police Traffic Services. "Flashing your high beams is not an offence if it's in bright daylight."

Roberts could not provide numbers as to how many motorists, like Diamond, have been charged under Section 168 and 169, only that those charges are "few and far between."

More often than not, drivers who are stopped after flashing their headlights are simply given a talking to, rather than issued a ticket.

"We have a big education role to play, as well as enforcement," says Roberts. "Officers have a lot of discretion at the roadside. It's up to the officer to decide if a ticket is warranted."

It's unclear what the motorist possibly could be charged with if it's daylight and the driver's papers are in order, seatbelts are buckled, insurance is paid up and the car is mechanically fit.

Roberts says the charge likely wouldn't be obstruction of a peace officer – a criminal charge that invites more headaches than it solves.

"I wouldn't use obstruction for a provincial offence – that's too far-fetched," he says.

"It's a bit like using a hammer to crack a nut," adds Lawrie, referring to Section 129 of the Criminal Code. "Judges wouldn't look kindly upon invoking an indictable offence – with a two-year prison term – given the case load in the courts."

Peter Rosenthal, a University of Toronto law professor, says an obstruction charge could be fought and won.

As an example, Rosenthal cites a 1971 case in B.C. that involved a citizen who had warned some panhandlers that the undercover officer who was observing them was, in fact, a police officer. The do-gooder was successfully convicted of obstructing a peace officer.

Rosenthal says the case is a rare example of police using the Criminal Code to censure citizens who interfere with police work.

"The B.C. case was way before we had a Charter of Rights and Freedoms," says Rosenthal. "The right to freedom of expression should, in my view, protect the right to communicate to others."

An Alberta court overturned a careless driving charge after the Supreme Court there agreed with the appellant that flashing his lights at oncoming traffic did not distract or startle other highway users.

But while charges for flashing others are unlikely now – thanks to all the recent media attention – police say drivers should think twice before they reach for their headlight switch.

"By flashing, the driver doesn't really know that he or she may be enabling a dangerous driver to continue being a safety hazard," says Woolley.

"Traffic safety is always the Number One issue at neighbourhood meetings," says Roberts. "People want us to do a good job."

"Speeders should not escape liability."

Toronto Star
Old 07-16-2009, 10:51 AM
smartidiot

Thanks goneinsixtyseconds,

I guess I can give this quote to the cops had they come to bother me with the poster i am about to make.

Last edited by smartidiot; 07-16-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:56 AM
CRIDDA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in for a video of this going down
Old 07-16-2009, 10:57 AM
JjL

lol capture this on cam.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Kiriller

video please
Old 07-16-2009, 01:55 PM
maroli

in for the video
Old 07-19-2009, 11:23 AM
AVmagneticZ

this sounds extremely dumb. +1 make sure u record it
Old 07-20-2009, 04:18 AM
Reality350

Originally Posted by AVmagneticZ
this sounds extremely dumb. +1 make sure u record it
Old 07-20-2009, 02:40 PM
stclairwest

Call me up ill record it for you
Old 07-21-2009, 06:45 AM
CRIDDA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP must have been arrested when doing this.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:54 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by CRIDDA
OP must have been arrested when doing this.
poor op..........

what a smart idiot........

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 07-21-2009 at 06:55 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:23 PM
smartidiot

no i haven't got my *** busted yet..

Haven't seen that popo in my neighborhood since I started this thread.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:50 PM
Brizzle

Originally Posted by smartidiot
no i haven't got my *** busted yet..

Haven't seen that popo in my neighborhood since I started this thread.

LOL They must have been trolling my350z.com and got intimidated at the thought of you holding a poster.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:21 PM
Touge.ca

Quick Reply: Is it illegal to hold a "COPS AHEAD" sign few steps away from the cops?