Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

Ain't at 1:49.9 but I had fun

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 05:47 PM
kart14

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Ain't a 1:49.9 but I had fun

Feeling a bit of withdrawal now that the car is in storage. Here's a few highlights from 2010. Hopefully, next year with some help from SG the car will be faster down the straights.

Shannonville:
http://vimeo.com/15708157

Mosport:
http://vimeo.com/14379889

DDT:
http://vimeo.com/13665537

Last edited by kart14; 12-04-2010 at 06:07 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:46 PM
GT-Rob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice, you still have a good 6 or 7 seconds on me at SMP, but hopefully getting off 300utog all-seasons will bring me closer. What tires are you running anyway?

Those videos are making me depressed for winter again haha. We should get together in the spring, Im planning to run Solosprint if you are running again.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:10 AM
XChacalX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depending on how your car was preped , you did good at Shannonville , from what I see you did 2.02-2:03
Old 12-04-2010, 05:32 AM
Wu-Watt

Nice vids! I hope a few of us Z owners can get together at the track in 11'!!!
Old 12-05-2010, 06:10 AM
kart14

Originally Posted by GT-Rob
What tires are you running anyway?

We should get together in the spring, Im planning to run Solosprint if you are running again.
Hankook RS3s (255/40/17) seem to work very well on 17x9.5 all round. The car has stock engine, exhaust and suspension but Carbotech pads, brake ducts, rollbar and race bucket and about 150lbs of weight reduction.

Ran GT3 in 2010 but plan on adding cams, exhaust, tune and anti roll bars and run GT1 in Solosprint next year. Maybe we'll see some of you guys out next year. By the way Solosprint will likely become known as Mobil 1 TimeAttack, with more opening lapping and 2 timed runs. Hope to see a few more Zs in 2011.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:40 AM
GT-Rob

^ watch out you don't get bumped to SGT, I heard they are bumping the Zs suspension rating, not sure how it much it will effect though. Im aiming for GT3 myself on R1Rs, but right on the edge.

Looking forward to seeing you on the track next year, hopefully you can make some nice power with that.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:01 AM
XChacalX

Originally Posted by kart14
Hankook RS3s (255/40/17) seem to work very well on 17x9.5 all round. The car has stock engine, exhaust and suspension but Carbotech pads, brake ducts, rollbar and race bucket and about 150lbs of weight reduction.

Ran GT3 in 2010 but plan on adding cams, exhaust, tune and anti roll bars and run GT1 in Solosprint next year. Maybe we'll see some of you guys out next year. By the way Solosprint will likely become known as Mobil 1 TimeAttack, with more opening lapping and 2 timed runs. Hope to see a few more Zs in 2011.
I would love to do some time attack next year but unless they update the car list , I wont be there!

when they actually update the car list , I wonder where im gonna end up with all the mods I have done so far. It probably wont be very competitive because of lacking power *N/A*
Old 12-05-2010, 02:13 PM
kart14

Originally Posted by XChacalX
I would love to do some time attack next year but unless they update the car list , I wont be there!

when they actually update the car list , I wonder where im gonna end up with all the mods I have done so far. It probably wont be very competitive because of lacking power *N/A*
I see you asked them to update the base car list on the Solosprint site. They'll get to it soon, but I'd guess a stock 370z will come in at SGT3 assuming a suspension rating of 75%, which is the suspension rating the 350z has been adjusted to. Run Street tires like RS3 or R1Rs and you'll drop to GT2. If you have mods you'll have to fill out the rating form to figure out where'll you'll end up.

GT-Rob Yeah, I'm up to speed on the changes to the rating on the 350z for 2011. Suspension rating went from 70% to 75% which bumps the z up 1.5 Pips. Moves the 2006 car up a class but 2005 and prior should stay in the same class.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:25 PM
nissannx

Very nice, Matt. Any chance the camera can be mounted lower so it can see under the rear view mirror?
Old 12-05-2010, 04:46 PM
GT-Rob

suspension mods are hard to optimize on the Z based on the pips they give. Theres not enough to gain for the amount they score you for them.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:05 PM
XChacalX

Kart14 , I'm pretty sure my Z will be under SGT3 modded as it is and if for some reason I could end up in GT1 well I'm *crossing finger*

but with the coming modification this winter I'm getting more power for sure and that would bump me in SGT3

I wonder how fast that class is ! like at Shannonville
Old 12-06-2010, 04:55 AM
GT-Rob

All depends. Regardless of the class/car you bring, its hard to be competitive the first year I think anyway. Just come out and have fun, and lets over run them with Zs!
Old 12-06-2010, 07:31 AM
BashaZ

I do not mean to sound like a dummy or anything. But I have never been to the track. I plan to go next season. But I am curious as to what the classes mean?

Like do you have to drive on a different track (easier) than other people because of your classification if you are a lower class? I am assuming classes are based on aftermarket mods like turbos etc., but also takes into consideration suspension stiffness and what type of tires are used?
Old 12-06-2010, 08:47 AM
Wu-Watt

Your car gets a rating based on it's mods, and gets put in a class. Then you compete with other cars in your class, based on your lap times.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:17 AM
Parker01

Originally Posted by BashaZ
I do not mean to sound like a dummy or anything. But I have never been to the track. I plan to go next season. But I am curious as to what the classes mean?

Like do you have to drive on a different track (easier) than other people because of your classification if you are a lower class? I am assuming classes are based on aftermarket mods like turbos etc., but also takes into consideration suspension stiffness and what type of tires are used?
Solo Sprint and lapping day are two totally different things. In both events, everyone drives the same track/layout regardless. In SoloSprint cars are given a base (stock trim) performance index. From then on anything added to the car which isn't stock effects your performance index points (PIP) and will bump you car up classes etc if you gain too many. From my understanding, you have to juggles your mods (which ones will count the most, for the fewest PIP) to make the most of your car while remaining in a particular class unless you want to be bumped up. As for lapping days, there really is no classing or anything, they just divide you up into run groups (sometimes they will keep fast cars or just more experienced drivers in one group and the slower or less experienced drivers in the other group to help things run smooth. The biggest thing about being a beginner is just stay cool (easier said than done), maintain your racing line, always signal for passes as soon as it is safe and for Gods sake don't drive down the straight away at 40km/h.

Kart14, nice driving! Good lines at MIR; you must have a big package for those aggresive turn-ins! Were you flat out-through turn 4? I always lift, I can't bring myself to stay on it; also I don't know if my stock Z on RE050's has the grip/stability to do it! It's hard for people that haven't driven MIR to respect taking that much speed through turns 2 and 4, you can't see anything until you crest those hills.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:14 AM
kart14

Originally Posted by Parker01
Good lines at MIR; you must have a big package for those aggresive turn-ins! Were you flat out-through turn 4? I always lift, I can't bring myself to stay on it; also I don't know if my stock Z on RE050's has the grip/stability to do it! It's hard for people that haven't driven MIR to respect taking that much speed through turns 2 and 4, you can't see anything until you crest those hills.
I'm not a risk taker, especially at MIR, hence my safety mods. I have great respect for turns 1,2,4 and 8. But 3, 5 and 9,10 can be driven a little more aggressively as the consequences aren't quite as bad. Regardless you need to be comfortable with how your car reacts and build up confidence slowly. On 4 I generally feather the throttle on turn in. The back gets a little light after the crest so it's nice to know you can add throttle to transfer the weight back. I hate understeer, but my biggest concern at MIR is the square setup on the car with high speed corners like 1,2, 4 and 8. Mid corner you can't brake and you need to be careful if you lift. You can also run out of track fast chasing oversteer out to the edge and I don't like to poop my drawers.

Anyway, anybody interested in some instruction should consider the Solosprint school in the spring at DDT. I'll try and post a link when registration starts. If not I'm sure Frank will remember. Hope to see you guys in the spring.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:16 PM
nissannx

Anyway, anybody interested in some instruction should consider the Solosprint school in the spring at DDT. I'll try and post a link when registration starts. If not I'm sure Frank will remember. Hope to see you guys in the spring.
Registration starts on Sunday, April 10th at the CASC-OR open house, held at CSC Racing in Newmarket. After that it will be available online.
The school is May 14 and 15 - two days of track, slalom, braking and skid pad - always with an instructor. Bonus, registration for the two day school provides one free competition event. We always need more Nissans out, and especially 350/370 Z cars!
Old 01-20-2011, 09:08 AM
GT-Rob

GT-Rob Yeah, I'm up to speed on the changes to the rating on the 350z for 2011. Suspension rating went from 70% to 75% which bumps the z up 1.5 Pips. Moves the 2006 car up a class but 2005 and prior should stay in the same class.
Well I was right on the upper edge of GT3 but it looks like the changes put me in the bottom of GT2. Sucks but at least now I have 4 pips to play with! Thinking sway bars, and maybe new control arms/alignment.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:55 AM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alignment makes a huge difference on these cars, especially if you can get some adjustable front upper control arms.

PM me any time and I will be happy to get you guys setup!

Maybe a discount for guys running SG stickers and license plate frames at competition events?
Old 01-21-2011, 09:11 AM
GT-Rob

^ that would be cool! I was going to come down in the spring for an alignment (stock, but may end up being new camber as well), and a corner weight done.

Are you guys running the SPL arms? Enjoy them?

Quick Reply: Ain't at 1:49.9 but I had fun