Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

I will be pulling my HKS supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 08:56 AM
Speedracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I will be pulling my HKS supercharger

if I don't start getting some answers REAL SOON from HKS. I will be going with the APS TT once I double check that the software has been tested on a ULEV2 spec vehicle. Of course, a full motor build up will happen also.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:12 AM
DLin05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What questiongs have you been asking? Did I miss the whole story somewhere. I'm sorry to here that HKS isn't helping their customers.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:39 AM
Speedracer

Originally posted by DLin05
What questiongs have you been asking? Did I miss the whole story somewhere. I'm sorry to here that HKS isn't helping their customers.
My personal opinion is that HKS is being very cautious on how they handle this whole matter. They never tested this kit on a ULEV2 spec vehicle.....at least that's what was implied on an e-mail I received from them.

"....we know of no installations of our kit on a late model Z".

They are looking into it, but I want a refund if the matter isn't solved soon. They advertised this kit as an application for 2003-2004 models, and I assumed that included all 2004 models. In fact, they are still advertising the kit on their website as an application for 2003-2004 models. Until there has been testing on a ULEV2 spec vehicle, their needs to be a disclaimer, especially now that there have been documented issues with compatibility. They are leaving themselves open to an EASY law suit if they don't.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:44 AM
axxizzer

I blame nissan for CHANGING THE DAMNED ECU

EVER

FACKING

YEAARRRR

aagh, it makes me angry
Old 11-26-2004, 02:32 PM
Lawn Dart

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So your exhaust is a little soot covered. Mine too. Big ****ing deal...quit whining...get over it. You got what you asked for - You're faster than most cars out there without completely rebuilding your motor. We all make sacrifices and some of us are going to be the guinne pigs. So please - shut up and sit tight. HKS will come out with a solution. They screwed up and I'm sure they're working on it. They just can't do it TOMORROW.
Old 11-26-2004, 02:55 PM
Speedracer

Originally posted by Lawn Dart
So your exhaust is a little soot covered. Mine too. Big ****ing deal...quit whining...get over it. You got what you asked for - You're faster than most cars out there without completely rebuilding your motor. We all make sacrifices and some of us are going to be the guinne pigs. So please - shut up and sit tight. HKS will come out with a solution. They screwed up and I'm sure they're working on it. They just can't do it TOMORROW.
Don't care about the exhaust tips. Car actually runs great. Do care about the SES light and my failing my emissions test as a result. The reason I went with HKS to begin with is that I thought with a company like that I wouldn't have to deal with all that feces. I didn't think a company like HKS would screw up. They are not some hack-shop operation. They charge a premium OVER most other systems. I would expect something more for that money. And....the first thing one should do when they screw up like this is to openly acknowledge it and try to make amends with the customers. IMMEDIATELY...not six months from now. And I'll whine as much as I damn well please.
Old 11-26-2004, 02:56 PM
Jeff@Evolution

Originally posted by Speedracer
And I'll whine as much as I damn well please.
ROFL... sorry, that was too funny. Aite, lets get back to the subject.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:56 PM
wick3d350Z

i have a 04.5 i am going to wait now until late next year for F|I....to make sure
Old 11-26-2004, 04:05 PM
wick3d350Z

always expect small glitchs with anything that comes out...its the big ones that suck
Old 11-26-2004, 05:36 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont think they screwed up, but rather might not have been aware of the ecu changes that Nissan has been doing. I agree that they should go back and take a look at things to see why it is happening and what they can do to rectify it. However given the complexity of the source of the issue (the ecu), I don't think it's something you are going to see resolved in the next month.

Also as I posted in another thread, I cannot see how any piggyback, regardless of the maker, is going to get around the ecu issue on the later build date cars yet. Once the knowledge base is there to reflash the later ecu's, I'm sure it will be much easier to deal with.
Old 11-26-2004, 05:56 PM
Tex Willer

Man, the 350z is like the xbox, the later the version, the more a pain in the *** it gets, lol.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:01 AM
Speedracer

Also as I posted in another thread, I cannot see how any piggyback, regardless of the maker, is going to get around the ecu issue on the later build date cars yet.

Adam,

I must have missed this. What's the scoop?
Old 11-27-2004, 07:04 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Well, the way I see it, we all know Nissan changed the ecu parameters for what comes down to mid '04 MY cars onwards. Your car (I think) falls into that buld date, as do a few others here. Technosquare has told us the ecu is different, hence why I was able to get my car flashed (mine is an 04 too, but an early one), and later 04 cars cannot. Given this, I don't see how any piggyback ecu is going to be able to deal with altering the signals of a source that has a narrower margin of errors and a new variety of data to contend with. So what I am saying is I don't see this problem being unique to HKS S/C owners, but rather a larger issue that will have to be dealt with from all later MY04 onwards owners.

Maybe the better thing to do is take a poll to see who has "xyz" for of FI on their car with an '04 MY, and also have them list what brand FI they are using and what their build date is, and what, if any ecu related issues they are having. That might at least give you a sampling as to whether your problem is something unique or something (as I suspect) more widespread. It might also be interesting to pass HKS on to Technosquare (if they have not talked already), to try to move the matter along. I have a feeling that this problem will correct itself over time, but it's going to take that time to figure out a way around what the ecu wants to see.

Hope that made sense

Adam
Old 11-27-2004, 12:50 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Do care about the SES light and my failing my emissions test as a result"

You already had to take your mid 2004 model Z in for emissions?!

I wouldnt worry so much right now if a SES light is all you deal with. My car runs on a standalone and im a 03 and still have the SES.... why? Because my car is well tuned and if I floor it at lower RPM and let the boost build down there my car is tuned to run very conservative and rich... stock ECU sees this in the O2 sensors and I live with a pair of bank 1/2 rich codes in the ECU at almost all times.

In the backround I have been researching a way to get around this... I called TS to see if they could flash the ECU to ignore the O2 sensors but they cant do that... so I might have to construct a set of 4 o2 simulators. However, you cant do that since you run a piggyback and not a standalone.

either way... just hang in there man. SES light should be the last of your worries. If you have to go in for emissions just bring a OBDII scanner with you so you can clear the codes while your waiting in line.

everyone with a heavily modified car has to play some tricks to get passed emissions, i wouldnt worry about it. over time someone will figure out a way to shutup the SES.
Old 11-27-2004, 01:45 PM
Nathan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by phunk

[he backround I have been researching a way to get around this... I called TS to see if they could flash the ECU to ignore the O2 sensors but they cant do that... so I might have to construct a set of 4 o2 simulators. However, you cant do that since you run a piggyback and not a standalone.

Why wouldnt 4 O2 simulators work when using a piggyback ?
After all is that not what the piggyback does, alter the crank & maf signals so as to fool the ECU.
The O2 simulators do the same or have I missed something ?
Old 11-27-2004, 02:45 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why wouldnt 4 O2 simulators work when using a piggyback ?
After all is that not what the piggyback does, alter the crank & maf signals so as to fool the ECU.
The O2 simulators do the same or have I missed something ? [/B]
with o2 simulators the car would run **** poor at cruising and idling. With piggy backs you typically make adjustments to the sensor feedbacks so that the ECU has room to compensate and run a clean A/F under light load. With the only O2 feedback being a fake simulator telling it that everything is stoich then its not even gonna be making adjustments as needed. this means that you better have your piggy back system tuned pretty damn dynamically cause now your tuning for idle and cruise and not just full throttle... piggy backs are difficult enough to get perfect at full throttle... let alone any type of consistency. i would sure hate to have to get it tuned well to idle and cruise with these devices when the O2 feedback isnt doing a damn thing for me.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:36 AM
Speedracer

Originally posted by phunk
"Do care about the SES light and my failing my emissions test as a result"

You already had to take your mid 2004 model Z in for emissions?!

I wouldnt worry so much right now if a SES light is all you deal with. My car runs on a standalone and im a 03 and still have the SES.... why? Because my car is well tuned and if I floor it at lower RPM and let the boost build down there my car is tuned to run very conservative and rich... stock ECU sees this in the O2 sensors and I live with a pair of bank 1/2 rich codes in the ECU at almost all times.

In the backround I have been researching a way to get around this... I called TS to see if they could flash the ECU to ignore the O2 sensors but they cant do that... so I might have to construct a set of 4 o2 simulators. However, you cant do that since you run a piggyback and not a standalone.

either way... just hang in there man. SES light should be the last of your worries. If you have to go in for emissions just bring a OBDII scanner with you so you can clear the codes while your waiting in line.

everyone with a heavily modified car has to play some tricks to get passed emissions, i wouldnt worry about it. over time someone will figure out a way to shutup the SES.
Yeah, I know I have PLENTY of time on the emissions. Your words are encouraging. Thanks. Car actually runs great.

Last edited by Speedracer; 11-28-2004 at 03:45 AM.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:02 AM
PumpedVA

while we are talking about piggy backs I got a questioins. the FCON S is a piggy back but does that go for the FCON V pro to? or is that a stand alone?
Old 11-28-2004, 07:54 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

technically, with the addition of the V pro, the stock ecu becomes the piggyback. It stays in the mix to do idle up for a/c, maybe cold start, etc etc, but the V pro would have control over fuel and timing tables

adam
Old 11-28-2004, 08:44 AM
PumpedVA

thanks

Quick Reply: I will be pulling my HKS supercharger