Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

My friend, a tech "AT A NISSAN DEALER" told me something interesting yesterday?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 10:44 PM
DeeZee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My friend, a tech "AT A NISSAN DEALER" told me something interesting yesterday?

he said that on the 04 350Z's you cant bump up the idle with a consult II like you can on the 03's? he said that after people put in a cai, or cams, they are coming in "asking" to have the idle bumped up, but they CANT! i drive an 03, and i had my idle rpm's bumped up 100rpms to 800 after i installed my cai because it was just a little rough. he said that some of the 04's, after cai installs, are idleing at 600rpms or so, and VERY bumpy!! and there is NOTHING they can do to adjust it!?!

so thats just a little FYI for you 04 guys before you but parts that require you to raise the idle! i cant see why nissan would do that though? he mentioned a few other things they cant change on the 04's with the consult II also, but i cant remember what they were? i was still in shock after he told me about that! is what he told me true??? i mean, he is a tech AT A NISSAN DEALER!?! i sure hope not!

Last edited by DeeZee; 12-11-2004 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:38 AM
ZIABLO
I am Batman

i put in a grounding kit and my idle went down to 600 and is a lot smoother even there
Old 12-12-2004, 07:08 AM
zzzya

He is correct, but there are some 04 models that you can adjust and they are the early build models. The 04.5 models on, had some ECU changes which can create issues with mods. JWT even has this comment now on their website for their cams:

"2004+ LEV II VEHICLES DO NOT ALLOW FOR IDLE ADJUSTMENT AND SHOULD NOT USE THESE CAMS UNLESS AN IDLE STABILIZING KIT IS INSTALLED (CALL JWT BEFORE INSTALL). LEV II PRODUCTION STARTS 10/03 FOR 350Z AND 6/03 FOR G35"
Old 12-12-2004, 07:48 AM
lovetoclown

I have the early 04 and after Performance Nissan installed my Tilton, they had to bump up the idle. worked fine on my Z.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:09 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a way to determine where your car falls in the '04 build cycle? My '04 was manufactured in 11/03. Does that make mine an '04 or an '04.5? Should I be able to get this adjustment done?
Old 12-12-2004, 04:13 PM
zzzya

Originally posted by kcobean
Is there a way to determine where your car falls in the '04 build cycle? My '04 was manufactured in 11/03. Does that make mine an '04 or an '04.5? Should I be able to get this adjustment done?
According to the information on the JWT site, your car has the newer ECU which means you would not be able to have the idle adjusted with Consult.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:05 PM
ZBoater

I have an 2004.5 with the newer ECU and I have no problems with my idle. I have the CAI, headers, cats, plenum and exhaust, and even the flywheel. Voltage and idle are just peachy. Cams are going in next...
Old 12-12-2004, 06:18 PM
ZRAYGO

Default Re: My friend, a tech "AT A NISSAN DEALER" told me something interesting yesterday?

Originally posted by DeeZee
he said that on the 04 350Z's you cant bump up the idle with a consult II like you can on the 03's? he said that after people put in a cai, or cams, they are coming in "asking" to have the idle bumped up, but they CANT! i drive an 03, and i had my idle rpm's bumped up 100rpms to 800 after i installed my cai because it was just a little rough. he said that some of the 04's, after cai installs, are idleing at 600rpms or so, and VERY bumpy!! and there is NOTHING they can do to adjust it!?!

so thats just a little FYI for you 04 guys before you but parts that require you to raise the idle! i cant see why nissan would do that though? he mentioned a few other things they cant change on the 04's with the consult II also, but i cant remember what they were? i was still in shock after he told me about that! is what he told me true??? i mean, he is a tech AT A NISSAN DEALER!?! i sure hope not!
What your friend at ehe dealership told you is bs. I know for a fact that when you install cams (as did I) you have to get what is called a throttle ideling kit. I bought my cams from Jim Wolf Technologies and installed them into my fiully built engine. Now yes my car is an '03 but they have the kit for the '04's also. Call them and ask. They are located in San Diego California. Or go to Jimwoldtechnologies.com and look up the cams and it will tell you in small print right below in the description of them.

Good Luck.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:28 PM
Tony@Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

I have that issue, my car idles low, especially afte my plenum install. However, the car does idle smooth, with my ground wire kit, hyper voltage unit, and an engine shock damper. the damper made a big difference, it smooths out the entire idle. I have not complaints.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:57 PM
zzzya

Default Re: Re: My friend, a tech "AT A NISSAN DEALER" told me something interesting yesterday?

Originally posted by ZRAYGO
What your friend at ehe dealership told you is bs. I know for a fact that when you install cams (as did I) you have to get what is called a throttle ideling kit. I bought my cams from Jim Wolf Technologies and installed them into my fiully built engine. Now yes my car is an '03 but they have the kit for the '04's also. Call them and ask. They are located in San Diego California. Or go to Jimwoldtechnologies.com and look up the cams and it will tell you in small print right below in the description of them.

Good Luck.
His friend is talking specifically about the ECU and Consult II, not extra parts that you can buy to put on the car.