Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

NA Or Forced induction which one should we build?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 04:33 PM
GregGSC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They will all make it into production don't worry about that.

more than likely we will use this car as the base for the NA and the Street tire car will allow us the R&D for the FI applications.

Greg
Old 12-20-2004, 06:28 AM
sgoncalves

Originally posted by GregGSC
They will all make it into production don't worry about that.

more than likely we will use this car as the base for the NA and the Street tire car will allow us the R&D for the FI applications.

Greg
Nice, can't wait to see how this turns out!
Old 12-20-2004, 06:51 AM
all_bark

Originally posted by GregGSC
s12

I agree 100% but to run independent TB's we will need to go to a Motec unit. This is not with in the price range of most people. We are going to try and stay with the stock DBW TB and ecu and go with a new sheet metal plenum. We thought about going to something similar to what your suggesting, but we want to try to make the power with out stroking the motor and a stand alone ECU to save costs. We also want to make this a daily driver package so 12+ Comp ration would be out of the question for anyone in Cali or NV with the gas they have. Its going to be interesting and it might not work out but we are going to try; better us to do the R&D then our customers.
I LIKE this guy! good luck with the project...
Old 12-20-2004, 09:07 PM
jreiter

It's a bit off topic, but since you mentioned in another post here, I wanted to kick in my 2 cents. You said you wanted to pull about 1g on the skidpad? Have you seen Sport Compact Car magazine's project 350Z? They were able to achieve 1g on street tires by going with 275 width tires on all 4 corners, and Hotchkis sway bars set to medium front and back. That's it.

The trick with the 350Z for great handling really seems to be tire width differences between the front and back. The bigger difference you get between front/rear tire widths, the worse your car will understeer. You can try to tune that out with springs, sway bars, etc, but it seems that doing so only results in higher cornering limits with worse snap oversteer when you cross that limit. For a real track car, you want balance, not snap oversteer or funky understeer.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:45 AM
GregGSC

joe we have some tricks up our sleave with tire size more to come in jan.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:13 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you use the NISMO RZZ (46cc) heads? They already accept the larger valves from the VK45 (titanium to boot) and flows even better than the stock head. I would love to see someone really take advantage of these heads. Also, NISMO has blank cams that can be custom ground for higher lift and duration than any of the cams available and are designed to work with these heads. All the people that have bought or R&D'd these components are race teams and don't share their info easily, it would be nice to have some independent work done to make a higher revving (formula VQ rev to 10,000 rpm) engine for the NA crowd. 8000 rpm or so with 325-330 whp screaming along at the track on pump gas would be nice and hell, if the GT3 can do it, why not the Z after good tuning and research? I think you'd have a lot of interested buyers looking for the package that can set that up.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:09 PM
jreiter

Originally posted by Resolute
I think you'd have a lot of interested buyers looking for the package that can set that up.
For sure. I'd love to stay NA and get good power gains. A somewhat lopey idle, a higher rev limit, and great whp on 91 octane gas would be fantastic.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:04 PM
GregGSC

I am pretty sure we will stay around the 8k rev limit do to the usable power band. We are having some cams ground for us right now (a little more agressive than the JWT and nismo) and the stock heads will be ported. the plan is to stay cheap and see what we get. If we don't get the numbers we want then we will go to the nismo heads. We will have two sets of cams avalible for the Z some time in 05 one for Forced induction and another for NA.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:30 AM
AndyHoward

Very interesting post.

What about fueling? Will you be using larger injectors? or more? Will you be using a 255lph walbro pump? Would you be using a 300zx MAF sensor?

I am asking about this because I have read about running more than 320bhp the standard fuelling system is inadequate and was wondering what plans you have.

Looking forward to seeing the results.

Andy
Old 12-22-2004, 08:29 AM
bwzabodyn

New cams, eh? Put me down as interested... I've been researching cams for over a year, but just can't decide on anything... Crane was supposed to get the ball rolling on 4 different sets for the VQ, but I haven't heard from them in a while... I'm looking for something a little more aggressive than the JWT's, but something that I can use the stock springs/valves with...
Old 12-22-2004, 07:23 PM
Spideynw

Wow, this is exciting! Can't wait to see what turns out!
Old 12-22-2004, 08:20 PM
Enron Exec

If you guys can, opt for Pauter titanium rods. They weight 1/3 less then the chrommoly couter parts and should allow the bottom end to rev very high. Our short 81mm stroke plus a light rod/piston will fair better for high revving then even the NSX 3.2l V6. Just make sure the heads and the custom ground cams can keep feeding the air.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:07 PM
Orange Peel

wow pauter makes titanium rods now wow! Finally People are realizing my Dream. I remember last year i got attacked when i criticised the z for not reving high enough. Gut that was on a different forum. I'm glad you guys are doing this, It's going to be great for the Z community, we will be feared more by the rally croud now with these lo profile mods. You never know which Z will have a GSC tune kit under the hood.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:07 AM
Orange Peel

where are you located? If your N/A exploits become sucessful wil you do it for consumers?
Old 12-23-2004, 11:48 AM
GregGSC

we are on the east coast and of course we will offer what ever we come up with as packages and for sale individually.

My biggest concern is what the ECU is going to do might have to buy a techtom

Just called Pauter looks like they are gone for the rest of the year. I will look into the rods but i think they will be to pricy.
The motor will be ready the first week of Febuary so we should have some good things for 05.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:13 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pauter ti rods are priced in the stratosphere.......
Old 12-23-2004, 09:09 PM
Street Visionz, Inc.
Banned

Wow this has honestly been my dream for awhile. An all-motor VQ makes my mind do backflips...
Old 12-23-2004, 10:05 PM
350zWarz

i'm really looking forard to what yall bring out.... happy holidays
Old 12-25-2004, 07:54 PM
hokie350

I'm also very interested in this as I would like to add hp to my Z, but since I use frequently as a daily driver, I don't want to risk a F/I setup. Something like this would be great!
Old 12-27-2004, 12:53 PM
GregGSC

I decided while sitting around with the fam this weekend that we are going to do a stage 1 head, cam, intake, and ecu to start with. if we break the 300hp we will offer that as a stage 1 kit then its on to the built bottom end with higher comp pistons.

So here is the stage 1 plan to see if we can break the 300rwhp mark
Ported T-body
New Intake Plenum (sheet metal design)
Ported heads with over sized valves and upgraded valve springs to go with our new cams.
a new header design
test pipes with Resinators
cat-back exhaust and intake.
ECU Reflash for this specific setup.

Quick Reply: NA Or Forced induction which one should we build?