Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

JWT clutch with stock flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004 | 10:37 AM
zbicklin

Default JWT clutch with stock flywheel

Has anyone out there installed an aftermarket clutch with the stock flywheel? I just received my JWT clutch and am having a dealer install it on the stock flywheel. My concern is that generally if you keep the stock flywheel it needs to be resurfaced, and since we have a dual mass flywheel it can't be resurfaced.

I'm just wondering if anyone out there has an aftermarket clutch with the stock flywheel and if not having the flywheel resurfaced caused any problems.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 12-30-2004 | 02:09 PM
EdgeOfSanity

i dont think you can use the jwt clutch with the stock flywheel because its the same clutch in the z32. You have to use their flywheel with their clutch.
Old 12-31-2004 | 02:47 AM
mjedens

Default JWT Clutch

He probably has the new JWT Clutch that's made for the 350z (not the z32 )!
Old 01-21-2005 | 12:02 AM
jreiter

zbicklin, if you haven't installed the new clutch yet, you really should consider a lighter flywheel. Something reasonably conservative like the JWT flywheel is a great option if you're already taking the tranny off to work on the clutch. The JWT is 14 pounds (compared to the stock 28 pounds), and really isn't any harder to drive than stock. It makes such a great difference, though. A very worthy mod.

And for what it's worth regarding clutch and flywheel compatibility, the JWT flywheel is compatible with both the stock clutch and the JWT clutch, which would lead me to believe the JWT clutch would be compatible with the stock flywheel.
Old 01-21-2005 | 03:17 AM
zbicklin

Originally posted by jreiter
zbicklin, if you haven't installed the new clutch yet, you really should consider a lighter flywheel. Something reasonably conservative like the JWT flywheel is a great option if you're already taking the tranny off to work on the clutch. The JWT is 14 pounds (compared to the stock 28 pounds), and really isn't any harder to drive than stock. It makes such a great difference, though. A very worthy mod.

And for what it's worth regarding clutch and flywheel compatibility, the JWT flywheel is compatible with both the stock clutch and the JWT clutch, which would lead me to believe the JWT clutch would be compatible with the stock flywheel.
Thanks for the help. I actually just got the JWT clutch and a Nismo flywheel installed this week. I figured I might as well get a little performance upgrade while I was installing new parts. I have a hanging scale in my garage and the stock flywheel actually wheighs 33.2 lbs. The Nismo flywheel was 24 lbs. So far is is a very streetable combo but I only drove about 50 miles because of weather.

Steve
Old 01-22-2005 | 02:23 AM
jreiter

Originally posted by zbicklin
Thanks for the help. I actually just got the JWT clutch and a Nismo flywheel installed this week. I figured I might as well get a little performance upgrade while I was installing new parts. I have a hanging scale in my garage and the stock flywheel actually wheighs 33.2 lbs. The Nismo flywheel was 24 lbs. So far is is a very streetable combo but I only drove about 50 miles because of weather.
Steve
Good to hear. I weighed my JWT at about 14 pounds and it's very streetable, so I imagine the Nismo flywheel would be even easier given its extra weight. If you ever want a bit more performance in the future, consider moving to an even lighter flywheel like a JWT or Jun.