Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Anyone try the 350EVO short shifter yet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 01:13 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Z BOY ... thanks. I still plan on trying the 350EVO.

For me .. the Rogue is nice and rattle/vibration free. You might try it.

I am just looking for a less throw without the shifting tightness I experienced with the B&M version 1.
Old 02-26-2005, 01:23 AM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i def think its worth trying, cuz others are running it well, without problems. there are lots of variables, like install quality and how your car adapts to the new shifter. the throws were definitely shorter, and i liked the sound of the shifts. good luck with yours, fairlady.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:09 AM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ezee
zillinois, which damper did you install? Does the shifter rattle (move) at high rpms? Can you give a brief review of the damper? Thanks.
My shifter does not rattle at any rpms.

I bought the Ebay special engine damper for $69. The damper runs from a manifold to a bolt on the side of the engine compartment. It definitely helps quiet down the drivetrain. Not as much movement in the transmission.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:58 PM
veilside350zTT

Default short shifter

1.)where did u get ur B&M short shifter. I think thats the one i want. 2.)So you say there is no rattle or vibration?

thanks!
Old 02-28-2005, 02:16 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

Originally posted by Poizon
Hey guys I have the shifter but havent installed it yet. I will have it in by next Monday at the latest. The B&M works great. But it would be better with ball bearings.

I dont think the evo shifter rattle will bother me as long as it shifts smooth and clean. Thats the only thing the B&M is missing; the shifting is not smooth and precise its just precise.

I will report on how many lbs of torque the drive line shop uses for the perfect shift. But it might different from z to z. We shall see.

Anything is better than stock. Im looking for stock action with a shorter throw; as Im sure everyone else is. Im sure the noise just goes with the territory. Shorter throw- metal to metal- no need to do the math.
====================================

OK ... the 350EVO shifter is going in this week. I will post the results and my impressions later.

Where is Poizon ? Pretty silent.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:32 AM
Poizon

Getting installed today at 3:00 I will let everyone know what torque we use. I ordered a stillen engine damper as zillinois said, his doesnt rattle with the damper. Since my mechanic also races I will let him decide on the best amount of torque to use for the install.

Listen guys a little noise or rattle is worth the performance you gain. It seems every time I add another mod I gain another noise.

Also lets not forget the free rattle we got from the nissan factory in the dash located at the red flashing light for the alarm.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:07 PM
Poizon

Patience is a virtue my fairlady. I said in an earlier reply I would have my shifter in by Monday. Well today is Monday and the shifter is great!

I like it just as much as the B&M only its not sticky at high rpms.
It does make noise at high rpms ;night and day compared to the B&M which hardly made any noise at high rpms compared to the EVO, but we already knew that.

I will install my Stillen engine damper as soon as it arrives; hopefully it will eliminate some or all of the noise.

We set the torque at 6 lbs. Anything more is a little too tight for my needs.

The shifter kicks *** but the throw feels a little longer than the B&M. But it makes up for the 3% difference by the close to stock feel with a 30% reduction in throw.

I would have to say this is as close to stock as your going to get if you can deal with the noise. I will let everyone know if the damper helps and or stops the noise; as soon as I receive it and get it installed.

By the way if you leave your stock **** on you are defeating the purpose of a short throw shifter. Use the stock **** as a paper weight.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:12 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

awesome, thanks for the feedback on it

i tried the nismo GT shift **** and hated it. I went back to the stock ****. I like something i can grab.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:46 PM
fairladyZ in Japan

Poizon ... Great writeup and thanks. Glad yours is working out.

I decided to have the shifter professionally installed while on a business trip this week. After reading your review, I called the shop and told them to play with the torque starting around 6 Lbs.

Received a call from the shop saying that after installing the shifter, the shifting was really hard and difficult to engage. Damn ! I told them to put the Rogue back in.

Looks like I am going to have to wait until I can figure something out. Not certain if it was their install technique or my Z causing this to happen - really disappointed.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:37 AM
Poizon

The only possible answer is they didnt use enough grease in the cup and or the bolt is way too tight. I can talk your mechanic through the install. We first put 8 lbs of torque on the bolt, we could hardly shift. At 6 lbs its perfect. REmember 5-10 lbs of torque.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:18 PM
Poizon

Also did you order a new cup?
Old 03-01-2005, 05:21 PM
fairladyZ in Japan

Poizon ... Thanks for your feedback and offer. Greatly appreciate it.

I think you are right on --- they most likely cranked the bolt too tight .. and this was after giving them your 6 LB torque info (which I have to convert to metric Joules over here). I should have been there during the install like you. I am still on a business trip and return tomorrow. Will talk with them again at that time.

Yes .. I used a new shifter cup ... but not certain how much grease they put in.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:00 PM
Poizon

WHATS HAPPENING FAIRLADY? MAKE SURE THEY USE A LITHIUM BASED GREASE AND TELL THEM TO LOOSEN THE 12MM BOLT UNTIL IT SHIFTS NICE WITH THE CAR SHUT OFF. DONT USE THE CLUTCH WHILE EXPERIMENTING. THE CAR SHOULD SHIFT AS EASY AS STOCK. IT WILL RATTLE UNTIL YOU INSTALL AN ENGINE DAMPER. I HAVENT RECEIVED MY DAMPER YET BUT IM SURE ITS GOING TO HELP. THE RATTLE IS OK BECAUSE OF THE SMOOTHNESS OF THE SHIFTER.

Last edited by Poizon; 03-03-2005 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:22 PM
fairladyZ in Japan

Poizon .. Again, thanks for your feedback. I really appreciate it.

I got back a day later than expected from my business trip and went to the shop yesterday.

Sometimes you deal in the land of shadows here. Although they told me they tried different torque specs on the shifter, they said it was extremely difficult to shift. My feeling is .. they were reluctant to go with a lighter torque spec than what they believe is safe -- so it ended up too tight, thus causing the problem.

Well, my Rogue is back in .. no charge .. and is working great and free of any noise, but without the great "chang - chang" sound of the 350EVO.

I am going to have to find another shop ... and try the 350EVO shifter install again. The next go-around will be using your recommendations and I will be there for the entire install.

By the way, extactly how loud is the shifter noise-rattle ? If your damper does nothing to eliminate the rattle -- are you going to still keep it in ?

As always .. thanks !
Old 03-04-2005, 07:09 PM
Poizon

Fairlady why dont you get a Cs shifter? I was trying to get one from japan but couldnt get any information. I heard its supposed to be one of the best shifters in the world.

Once you get the shifter installed its easy to adjust the tightness of the 12mm bolt. You just jack up the side of the car, remove the rubber boot and tighten or loosen the bolt.

Im sure when I install the engine damper most or all of the rattle will probably lesson. Honestly the rattle doest bother me at all; I actually like it. Im not kidding. The Evo is an awesome shifter!

Just dont keep your hand on it when your not shifting. This is metal to metal with bearings in the middle. Its going to have more play than the stock shifter or even the B&M and the Rogue.

To keep the noise down they used a two piece application, rubber and plastic. The Evo has none and it is a one piece shifter so it has play where the stock and the B&M are very tight even if you left your hand on these shifters I dont think it would hurt anything. If you leave your hand on the Evo shifter your going to cause damage especially in 5th or 6th gear.

But it makes up for the noise by being the most incredible shifter for the Z. I can see why they race with this shifter and not the B&M. Its a faster shifter period.

And yes I will keep this shifter even if the damper does nothing. I do believe the momo golfball **** sits lower than any other ****. The bottom of the **** sits below the top of the widest part of the shifter post.

When I rest my arm on the center console, the **** sits right in my hand, I dont have to raise my hand up higher than the center console. Its absolutely perfect. Im not sure if any other **** sits this low. By the way the momo weighs 4 ozs or 112 grams.

Last edited by Poizon; 03-04-2005 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:53 PM
fairladyZ in Japan

Yes .. after telling them to put the Rogue back in ... I was thinking that I should have just left it the way it was until I return.

However, the weather here was supposed to turn bad, cold, snow, a narrow garage, etc, etc, so I decided against it -- thinking it would be one pain in the aZZ to have to deal with it. The weather didn't turn as bad as expected, so I am kicking myself in the aZZ again. Oh well.

I have another tuner shop that I am thinking about using.

Regarding the C's .. interesting question. I was researching them prior to the 350EVO coming on the market and then decided to go with the EVO. I checked C's web links - nothing. Called them .. phone number has been discontinued. I will check some tuners to see if they are still in business.

Pictures of the C's S2000 short shifter below.

Old 03-05-2005, 04:58 PM
Poizon

Fairlady I just went to re-adjust my shifter. 5 lbs is the same as finger tight. I cleaned off all the red thread lock with break cleaner.

Then I re-thread locked the bolt and screwed it on finger tight. I then tightend it with an open end 12mm wrench just a hair past finger tight; remember too tight and the bearings get smashed and your shifter is stiff and notchy.

My shifter is now torqued between 5 lbs and 6 lbs ( foot lbs) not inch lbs. You only need one 12mm socket to remove and or loosen the bolt. The female side is stationary.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:34 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

Poizon .. Are you using any adhesive on the bolt ? Any concerns given the light torque spec ?

Thanks !
Old 03-06-2005, 10:02 AM
Poizon

No tape or concerns, as long as you put red thread lock on the bolt. Once it dries the bolt wont move even if you just make it finger tight. Finger tight is just a littlte too loose thats why you give it just a little bump turn about a eighth inch of a turn; just to put a little pressure on the bearing but not too much pressure.

If you have to re-adjust the tightness after you drive it you have to use break cleaner to remove the lock tight and start over so you can feel finger tight.

Im sure if you follow my instructions you will only have to make one adjustment and your shifter will be perfect. It truely is an awesome shifter; and I thought it would be impossible to out do the B&M, but Evo did it.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:12 PM
blackknite00

Well I installed my 350evo shifter on my G yesterday and man what a difference..At 6000rpms the shifts are almost sequential..What a feeling...I can't imagine what it would be like with an aluminium flywheel and lightweight clutch....Of course there is vibration but the smoothness and precision of the shifts makes waiting for my stillen engine dampner worth the wait..

Last edited by blackknite00; 03-06-2005 at 01:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone try the 350EVO short shifter yet?