Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Anyone try the 350EVO short shifter yet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 11:58 AM
Poizon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350 evo shifter

What happened to my fairlady? Where are you? And what shifter are you using?
Old 03-15-2005, 02:52 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

Originally Posted by Poizon
What happened to my fairlady? Where are you? And what shifter are you using?
Poizon, my friend. Still running with the Rogue until I can get a few days of no business travel and some decent weather for the swap.

Then, the EVO shifter will definitely be going in again. Can't wait.

Also want to try out the Michelin PS2's. Have been debating tire replacement ... the Bridgestone RE-01R -vs- the PS2 ... and have almost decided that I want to try something different instead of going with BS's for the last 8 years.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:19 AM
Machupo

poizon -- did the engine dampner help at all in terms of reducing the vibration noise in the cabin?

thanks!
Old 03-15-2005, 10:32 AM
Poizon

Default 350 evo shifter

I havent received the damper yet; turns out theyre on back order. Fairlady check out the wheels and tires I use. They are one of the lightest wheels and tires you can get. Im a strong believer in using light components, especially when it comes to wheels and tires. I would say the flywheel is equally important. The lighter the faster.
I will let you guys know how the damper works as soon as I get it. Meanwhile dont tighten that bolt down; finger tight and a slight nudge. Awesome shifter! Oh yea, dont forget the red lock tight.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:55 AM
L337350

poizon,
any update on how the shifter works with the engine damper?

Last edited by L337350; 03-23-2005 at 07:01 AM.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:26 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I can get a shifter cup before next thrusday, I'll let everyone know how it runs with the engine damper. Apparently everyone has them on backorder.

I'm going to try switching from the rogue to the 350EVO shifter - i'll also try to make a comparison between the two.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:49 PM
Poizon

Default engine damper

The damper is installed and it does help with vibration and keeps the engine tight, especially at launches. I am keeping the 350 evo shifter bolt finger tight ( 5lbs) with red locktight. it still rattles at 5000 rpms and higher.

Im sure if you tighten the bolt to 6 0r 7 lbs the rattle may go away completely. I like the shifter as smooth as possible; if you put pressure on the bearing the shifting is much stiffer and the bearing becomes useless.

The 350 evo shifter is the best shifter for racing available. The B&M a close 2nd. ( No bearing, and two pieces. )
Old 03-25-2005, 05:21 PM
fairladyZ in Japan

Poizon ... My 350evo shifter is going in soon - and want to get it as close to your install as possible.

2 questions:

1/ How much lithium grease did you use ?

2/ Did you change to just finger tightness .. or are you still using finger tightness plus just a little turn of the bolt ? (of course using Loctite ) !

Thanks !
Old 03-25-2005, 09:51 PM
Poizon

Default 350 evo shifter

Have them put as much lithium grease as possible without making a mess. The shifter is the smoothest at 5 lbs. Remember a rattle is a small sacrafice for performance. Have them clean off the bolt and the female receiver so the bolt screws in easy until its finger tight. You have to work pretty fast before the thread lock starts to get stiff.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:00 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

**** questions ... but welcome to the land of getting it right the first time ..

1/ Loctite .. did you use 271 or 262 ? 262 seems the best, but not sure.

2/ Lithium grease .. exactly where on the shifter did you use the grease ?

Also, if you can PM me your phone number and best times to call, would greatly appreciate it.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:24 AM
Poizon

Default 350 evo shifter

My phone # is 702-360-5498 It doesnt matter what # lock tight you use and the grease goes in the stock cup.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:45 PM
zman2

Default If you leave your stock **** on you are defeating the purpose of a short t

By the way if you leave your stock **** on you are defeating the purpose of a short throw shifter. Use the stock **** as a paper weight.
Why?
Please explain?
Old 03-29-2005, 06:07 PM
Poizon

Default stock shifter ****

Because
Old 03-30-2005, 05:16 AM
zman2

Default Need more help

Care to elaborate on that reason?
Old 03-30-2005, 05:50 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

the B&M. Its a faster shifter period.

And yes I will keep this shifter even if the damper does nothing. I do believe the momo golfball **** sits lower than any other ****. The bottom of the **** sits below the top of the widest part of the shifter post.

When I rest my arm on the center console, the **** sits right in my hand, I dont have to raise my hand up higher than the center console. Its absolutely perfect. Im not sure if any other **** sits this low. By the way the momo weighs 4 ozs or 112 grams.

zman2 ... Your answer is above ... refer back on the previous page. Poizon likes the straight on throw with that the MOMO **** gives him .. -vs- .. the elevated throw of the stock shifter position. Just different strokes for different people --- and no pun intended.

No flames .. just please do your checking before posting.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:09 PM
Poizon

Default 350 evo shifter

zman2 Im not trying to be a smart ***. fairlady thanks for answering the question. The shorter the throw( from the ball down) and the shorter the shifter post and **** the faster you shift. Pure physics. You just have to use more force to move the shorter throw.

If we had the exact same cars and we raced the momo **** will shift the car faster than the stock **** because of the height difference.

By the way, I did add another four ounces to the momo ****. Now its the same weight as the stock **** and the shifting takes less effort.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:32 PM
fairladyZ in Japan

The 350EVO short shifter went in a 2nd time by an expert .. a professional with over 14 years experience .. who immediately knew the difference between a regular shifter, a short shifter and the 350EVO direct linkage shifter.

Lithium grease ordered directly from Lubriplate was used. The shifter bolt, after testing, was simply screwed in finger tight .. no excess tightness … ok-to-go. Then some driving tests before confirming the bolt. Even with just screwing the bolt in – no further tightening – it did not feel that good. Well, that is as light as it gets … so told them to try it with just finger tightness – and then locked the bolt with Loctite.

After 1 week of extensive testing .. the 350EVO shifter was never smooth and never had fluid shifting under regular or high revving.

There was some buzzing above 3500-4000 RPMS like Poizon stated in his review. However, noise was never a problem for me. I was just looking for the most fluid shifter available.

Summary:

I simply chalk this one up to previous research that -- shifters are car specific. What works great in your 350Z does not necessarily mean it will work in my 350Z.

So .. I swapped back to the Rogue – I was very disappointed that the 350EVO shifter did not work in my Z.

After 3 shifter tests:
The Rogue likes my Z .. and have had precise shifting, no noise, no rattles.

B&M .. I really enjoyed the short throws .. but it was always too hard shifting under high revs for me. I will consider B&M again once they work the kinks out of their Version 2 shifter for the Z.

350EVO .. sniff sniff .. after 2 attempts… no go. I will miss you – you should have been the best.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:56 PM
Mayday

Is the EVO Shifter noise free or not ?

My B&M Shifter rattles.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:54 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

Originally Posted by Mayday
Is the EVO Shifter noise free or not ?

My B&M Shifter rattles.
Check the previous posts in this thread for your answers .. the 350EVO is expected to rattle and vibrate as shown below.

My point was .. rattles or vibrations make no difference to me .. give me the most fluid shifter.

Regarding your B&M .. the buzzing might be caused by the OEM spacer. I have that spacer locked down in the OEM shifter .. tape.

Here is the info regarding the 350EVO shifter from their site .. and as shown in previous posts on this thread.

"Our 350Z solid short racing shifter uses ball bearings on the shiftrod for smooth and precise shifting. This 350Z shifter is used in most 350Z race cars. It has a 33% reduction in throw over 350Z OEM shifters and it installs easy. We recommend replacing the shifter cup as well while you're on the job as the 350Z's OEM cup often breaks upon removal. Having the ball bearing design on the shiftrod makes shifting super smooth without binding. It is a huge improvement over non ball bearing designs. Try it, you'll love the feel of this 350Z short shifter. ***This 350Z short shifter is a solid 350Z RACE shifter which will transmit any transmission noise straight into the 350Z's cockpit. If you want a 350Z shifter that is noise free, the Rogue 350Z shifter is the way to go*** "
Old 04-30-2005, 11:00 AM
crayons

I ordered the 350EVO shifter at the beginning of this month, and BJ sent me an email back then that they were revising the design of their short shifters. I still don't have mine in hand yet =\ , but I guess it's worth the wait for a quality product .

As for the design, they're trying to find a ball bearing with a groove in the middle so that you can tighten down the bolt without infringing on the smooth operation of the ball bearing. That way, there's a higher chance that you can reduce the rattle (the bolt is tight) and still have smooth shifting (ball bearing still functions) without worrying about how much to torque down the bolt.

He hasn't gotten back to me in awhile, but I remember reading a few pages back on this thread that he's a pretty busy guy, so I'm trying to bite my tongue and just wait it out haha . I'll post a review when I get it in.

Quick Reply: Anyone try the 350EVO short shifter yet?