Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

My Tilton Clutch/Flywheel Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 12:41 PM
Tony@Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Tilton Clutch/Flywheel Review

Well, I finally got my car out of the shop here, and off to the body shop today. While the car was here, we put in a Tilton Full Street setup with the 8lbs flywheel. I drove Jason's car before, and honestly, I was quite skeptical of how my car would drive with a new clutch etc.. (since Jason's is used quite a bit more than mine, and his pedal is adjusted differently than mine). Sure I stalled the car a few times getting used to it, but I love it. The car shifts so much nicer than my factory setup ever did. It's true, there isn't much play in the clutch, but this in no way makes the setup not streetable. You've just got to get used to getting going from a stop, other than that, it's all a cake walk. Reverse is actually very easy to control, no worries there. I drove tha car only about 8 miles to the body shop, and I got really used to the clutch just in that time. When on an incline, it takes some practice, but again, just gotta get used to it. It's like learning to drive a corvette, after driving a honda civic, it's a big difference in pedal and clutch feel, but in no time it's all cake. Having the pedal stop put in makes a world of difference in comparison to how Jason's car felt. This clutch isn't for everyone, I'll admit that, it is noisier than stock, obviously, but if you have your radio on at any normal level, you don't notice.
All in all, this is a very nice setup, the car acts like a different car altogther.

Every opinion is subjective, and different, and this is IMHO.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:54 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah the clutch is cool

but you will have your moments of frusturation with it for daily driving. At least with my setup it occasionally makes me wish I was driving stock again cause you sometimes just don't feel like finessing the clutch the way you have to. Just saying, a lot of people get tiltons put in and love it, saying they'll get used to it eventually. Then 3 months later they're getting tired of the hassle with daily driving their car

1st thru 3rd gear is awesome though

Last edited by sentry65; 01-28-2005 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:28 PM
Tony@Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

I totally understand that, and I can see where some people just don't want to deal with it. But 1) performance come's at a price versus streetability, adn 2)I got used to how 1st gear reacts, in less than 10 minutes driving it. It's not all that hard to do, but it still may be little too much for some.
In a case like that, there's stillen, or JWT, Nismo, etc...
but the performance of those versus tilton, is still night and day in tilton's favor.

It all just depends on the person
Old 01-28-2005, 02:31 PM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a great setup... I've had it for awhile.

It SUCKS for daily driving, forget about traffic... It's EXTREMELY loud, and at low RPM there is a TON of vibration.

However, for acceleration... it's flat out incredible
Old 01-28-2005, 02:59 PM
Tony@Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

I have no more vibration than i did with stock. I don't even notice the extra noise when i have my radio on, even at normal volume.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:07 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

glad someone agrees with me - i'm always reading how easy the tilton street clutch is to drive - like tony, how it took him just 10 minutes to master 1st gear.

I've had the tilton for a month and a half now and after awhile reading how everyone thinks it's so easy to drive, I start thinking maybe I just suck at driving stick? Cause I don't always feel like it's so easy to drive day to day. I get by, but I always feel my body tensing up in anticipation that I need to react lightning quick to save the car from stalling or anticipate the instant I let my foot off the gas pedal even in the slightest so I can start pushing that clutch in.

Also going over bumps totally sucks. The clutch is so sensitive that your foot ends up jittering the gas pedal and the car revs/speeds up and down all spazmatic from your body getting shaken around inside the car. Normally the clutch/flywheel will hold the momentum enough that it isn't an issue, but with the tilton you get instant jerks.

I agree the clutch rocks on a track or wherever there's really nice roads and you're going WOT a lot. It's also frusturating that you can't add big power to the car with FI or nitrous because the clutch won't take that type of power.

A few days ago I was reading how if the stock clutch has 100% slip, the rally tilton has about 5% slip, and the street tilton has about 15% slip. The ATS and exedy have around 80% slip. I'm sure those aren't real world accurate numbers, but had I known that, I would have stayed away from the tilton street in the first place because I would assume the "street" version would be up around 80% or so. I especially thought that how everyone was saying it's so easy to drive - "just like stock" - yeah sure, whatever. It drives nothing like stock

I have this beat of POS old nissan truck and it actually feels really good to just get in and drive without stressing about driving perfectly.

I drove Jason's car beforehand. I knew what I was getting myself into, but I really thought I just needed a little practice and time invested to get used to it. The performance is amazing and I was taken in by it.

Mine was quiet at first, but after 3 weeks it became noticably louder. I did put in redline trans fluid - maybe that's causing the additional noise?

Anyway, I might be selling mine soon if anyone is interested.

My 2 cents

Last edited by sentry65; 01-28-2005 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:46 PM
lovetoclown

Try the Semi-Street tilton. It is Even more un-streetable. Can't wait to get it out and put in a clutch that is more streetable.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:22 PM
tonio

My experiences with the semi street were straight hell for the first two weeks. It was extremely hard to get going then two weeks later the clutch started slipping. The strange thing is I ordered new discs before taking my car back to Z1 here in atlanta, but when they took the used discs out we found that they were still in very good condition. Well, they put the new discs in and made some adjustments to the clutch.. now the car drives TOTALLY different.

As it is now I would have figured this is how the full street is supposed to feel.. its possible to stall but it as just as easy to get it going smoothly. I noticed the guys at Z1 made the travel on the clutch pedal a little longer, but I'm not sure if that is what made the difference. lovetoclown, maybe before you get it taken out try and get the clutch adjusted? I was feeling the same way you are before the adjustment, I was that close to having it taken out and going with the JWT. Now I couldn't see going with any other clutch.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:49 PM
PhoenixINX

Originally posted by lovetoclown
Try the Semi-Street tilton. It is Even more un-streetable. Can't wait to get it out and put in a clutch that is more streetable.
That's what I have... all 600+ ft-lbs of gripping power.

Tony is sadly mistaken if he thinks its no louder than stock. Put the pipe down homie...
Old 01-29-2005, 06:19 AM
Tony@Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

I never said it wasn't louder than stock, i just said that i don't notice the extra noise when I have the radio on. It's much louder, but still not a bother.

Its funny, if i hear odd noises from the car, I get upset if I don't konw what's causing them. If i know what's the cause, i can get over it hehehe
Old 01-29-2005, 06:49 AM
Tony@Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Check out our tilton specials in vendor section....

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....hreadid=108065
Old 01-30-2005, 11:12 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Vibration = Dont drive in gear below 2500-2700 RPM and there is no extra vibration...

Jeff *the tech* and I adjusted your pedal stop properly... I basicly lowered the pedal stop in my car so the clutch pedal doesnt hit it. I didnt like hearing the click. I only press the clutch pedal in as far as it needs to. the pedal stop is there to keep from going past that point. if the pedal stop wasnt there (like in my car) it would be harder to drive
Old 01-31-2005, 02:49 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Im --- Going to have to reclutch soon --- Previous owner was a little hard on it I think. I have 25,000 miles on my 2003. If I hit it hard I can smell it. I own the New Berlin Garage in NB Texas Any input would be really cool ---- Tillton ?JWT ? Others ??? Vibration with the Tilton --- 8 LBs IS almost too light. Did I read that right ? The JWT seems pretty good - I will install it myself of course--- Input Guys would be greatly appreciated!!!! I only want to do this once --- I have ZERO probs needless to say with using and getting used to a clutch if it is designed right. Thanks !!!!!
Old 01-31-2005, 03:14 PM
Machupo

i happen to love the tilton full street i've got... acceleration is out of this world...

that being said... the noise is a pain in the *** and god forbid i try to drive the Z into work (military checkpoint traffic blows nuts)... Tony, i've got to agree with you, i don't hear the noise when i've got my stereo on (even at a sane volume)... but when i have the stereo off, i can hear the sound bouncing off the cars around me and people straining to see if my car is going to blow up at any second or not... 'course, if you like the extra attention, it's all for you

i've noticed that my clutch travel has lengthened a bit since i had the tilton initially installed, maybe i should get the pedal stop checked when the car goes in tomorrow for the 3.9fd, cusco rs lsd, and cat work...

if you're thinking about getting this clutch, know what you're getting yourself into.

there are a couple vids floating about of tilton-ized Z's... i think Zillinois' is the most informative, but it's mostly to show off the tilton/3.9fd combo... if you're looking for noises, i think there's one of those posted as well...

i'll toss my own onto the list after the car comes out of the shop on wednesday if that will help anyone.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:13 PM
sponsorsthisway

You say this setup is much louder than stock. My question is what is the sound like? Is it annoying or one of those mods that's like "wow sounds pretty cool"? Basically, does it make that car sound like crap either at idle or while running? Thanks for the info. I might be ordering this in the next few days and i'd like to hear from those of you who have the setup. Thanks!
Old 02-03-2005, 05:37 PM
Machupo

Originally posted by sponsorsthisway
You say this setup is much louder than stock. My question is what is the sound like? Is it annoying or one of those mods that's like "wow sounds pretty cool"? Basically, does it make that car sound like crap either at idle or while running? Thanks for the info. I might be ordering this in the next few days and i'd like to hear from those of you who have the setup. Thanks!
there are quite a few disparate noises that i've noticed, and they basically fit into three categories: soft griding, medium grinding, and loud clacking...

soft grinding = clutch is depressed... sounds like sandpaper vigorously rubbing against something

medium grinding = driving below 2500 rpm while pressing the gas OR engine braking... sounds like a coffee bean grinder -- gets louder the harder you press the accelerator

loud clacking = after the car has warmed up (i.e. been driven for approx. 5 mins, the harder you drive it, the shorter the time is) WITH the clutch out AND the tranny in neutral... sounds like a dozen castanets getting tossed around inside a giant soda can... this is the noise everyone complains about and this is the one that makes people sitting at a light in the lane next to yours turn down their steros, look at your car and ask "hey dude, i think your ride is ****ed up!" with a doofy grin on their face

... which is wiped right off when you zoom off faster than greased lightning

i've had the tilton on there for a couple months now, and i don't even notice the noises anymore... in fact, now that i realize it, i haven't turned my $5k stereo on in over a week just because i enjoy the "music of the car"

i'm looking into a solution in the idea of sprung hub discs, but i'm still experimenting -- will keep everyone updated
Old 02-03-2005, 06:00 PM
sponsorsthisway

Interesting. Thanks for the honest info. See i'm not sure i'd be so willing to put up with those kind of noises. But then again i might end up deciding that i don't care. Is the JWT package not as bad sound-wise? I know that the JWT flywheel is a bit heavier and i have SEARCH'd this many times but can someone break down real quick (plain and simple) why Tilton is much better performance wise? Is acceleration that much better with the Tilton or would i be just as happy with the JWT?
Old 02-03-2005, 06:25 PM
lovetoclown

It all comes down to mass and Diameter. The stock clutch and flywheel is about a 12 inch diameter and is about 50 pounds. The Tilton is a 7.25 inch clutch and the clutch and flywheel combined is only 16 pounds. Since the clutch and flywheel of the tilton kit is so light and the diameter is smaller, it takes less power to rotate. Someone had a great example (jason at performance I think), It was to tie a washer to a string and give the string about a foot of length and spin it. Now shorten the strin to 7 inches and spin it. It takes less effort to spin the washer and it spins faster.

The tilton is a beast. NO other clutch comes as close. The catch is that since the tilton Flywheel is only 8 pounds, The engine will stall VERY easy when you let off the clutch. Also, since the tilton is so light, the noise is a little irritating. But the only time it will really bother you, is when you are next to another car or a drive through and the sound of the tranny reflects off of what is next to you.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:47 PM
sponsorsthisway

So what ur saying is i should choose the tilton over the JWT?
Old 02-03-2005, 09:38 PM
o snap its eric

i wish there is something in between the jwt and tilton.

JWT is not *** agressive as i would like. Many people say its very simliar to stock, infact people say it should come stock.

Tilton is way too agressive for my driving style since i live mainly on hills. I need some sort of slipage. The noise level is intolerable because i dont want people looking at me as if my car is gonna break down because i still have an image to uphold

Does anyone know of any company that is working on a comprimise between a JWT and TIlton flywheel?

Quick Reply: My Tilton Clutch/Flywheel Review