Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Less weight = more power; Have you lightened your Z?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 02:00 PM
del105
15 f125

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Blue Liquid
It looks like your car is on a lift kit, especially in the rear. Could this be a result of too much weight loss?
the Konis I'm running have not been de-gassed. If I got degassed konis I think it would lower it 1/2 inch.

The problem with lightening for stock class is all the weight is off the rear of the car.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:40 PM
UsafaRice

Originally posted by GY-Z
alumunum front bumper??
It's the brace behind the plastic cover.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:09 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: weight issues

Originally posted by veilside350zTT
I figured the track model would be one of the litest. Since it doesnt come with leather seats and all that other ****. But its not how much more does the track weigh compared to the base???
No leather, navi, etc... but it does comes w/ LSD, TCS, VDC, etc. A lot of other components that add extra weight. The lightweight rays help.

From what I've researched, there is a lot of weight to be lost w/ the exhaust system. You can lose close to 80 lbs by replacing the cats, y-pipe, and b-pipe/exhaust with select other components.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:56 PM
GY-Z

Originally posted by UsafaRice
It's the brace behind the plastic cover.
oh..
it looks more then 10~12lbs to me though.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:28 PM
UsafaRice

Default Re: Re: weight issues

Originally posted by Armitage
No leather, navi, etc... but it does comes w/ LSD, TCS, VDC, etc. A lot of other components that add extra weight. The lightweight rays help.

From what I've researched, there is a lot of weight to be lost w/ the exhaust system. You can lose close to 80 lbs by replacing the cats, y-pipe, and b-pipe/exhaust with select other components.
A lot of weight for the track model comes from the brakes. People seem to forget this. IMO, having weight in the brake system is all right, because I'f rather have some heat capacity left when I'm slowing down from 130 than not. TCS and VDC are computer systems and do not add more than a negligible amount of weight.

Yes, you can lose 80 pounds from the exhaust, but your "select" parts will have to be titanium.

GY-Z, I thought that as well, but it's been confirmed by a bunch of people who have done turbo installs say it's about 12-15.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:10 AM
kernel

BTW if you all didn't know

seibon now makes a CF hatch. it's only 550.00 shipped as far as i know.
i don't know the weight of the hatch, or if it's full CF or fiberglass lined with CF. (aka show hatch)

http://www.seibon.com/pdut_detail_pic2.asp?ItemID=325
Old 03-07-2005, 07:43 AM
Tex Willer

Cool! how much weight does it save over stock though? I though most of the weight was due to the glass.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:26 AM
kernel

well they had mentioned a lexon replacement. but for daily drivers its just impractical
Old 04-11-2005, 12:38 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

bump
Old 04-11-2005, 07:05 AM
JoshTreeFity

Originally Posted by kernel
well they had mentioned a lexon replacement. but for daily drivers its just impractical
Why is that? Is it extremely hard to look out lexan becuase of waves or cloudiness or osmething? I dont look out my back window all that much anyway because it is so tiny and I have it tinted so crazy. So I really dont think it would bother me that much. If it saved a crazy amount of weight I think it would be worth it for sure.

Can anyone get more info on this hatch w/ lexan?
Old 04-12-2005, 01:40 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by UsafaRice
A lot of weight for the track model comes from the brakes. People seem to forget this. IMO, having weight in the brake system is all right, because I'f rather have some heat capacity left when I'm slowing down from 130 than not. TCS and VDC are computer systems and do not add more than a negligible amount of weight.
Agreed, to a certain degree. I know for the Prelude the ATTS system for the SH model added around 60 lbs or so weight wise.

Yes, you can lose 80 pounds from the exhaust, but your "select" parts will have to be titanium.
Lol. Yeah, I should've put "select" parts.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:37 PM
phile

Del105, why does your car look so high in the back?

If I decide to shuck some weight for the SCCA, I'm going to be weary of taking too much out of the back. Does anyone know how a manufacturer gauges weight distribution?
Old 04-13-2005, 03:17 PM
spf4000

GY-Z, I thought that as well, but it's been confirmed by a bunch of people who have done turbo installs say it's about 12-15.
It's good to lose the weight, but it's more important where the weight reduction comes from. If you can drop 80lbs by changing out the exhaust system, great, but it'd be even better if you can lose the 80lbs from higher in the car, like the roof, hatch, doors, etc. because that would lower your center of gravity. Losing weight from the bottom of the car could actually raise the center of gravity.

As much as I would like to change out the stock hood with a CF version, losing 50lbs. from the back of the car will only serve to make the weight distribution move to the front even more. I guess you'll have to come up with a way to reduce the weight off of the front. Has anyone come up with effective weight reduction methods for the front besides a light weight battery? Going to a CF hood won't save anything since the factory hood is pretty light already (unless we're talking dry carbon). Another thing to look into is lowering the engine to bring down the center of gravity. I know the Option Stream Z did this. Does anyone know how they managed to lower the engine position by 4cm?
Old 04-13-2005, 03:35 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone come up with effective weight reduction methods for the front besides a light weight battery?
-Removal of washer fluid tank or siphon out washer fluid
-headers
-test pipes
-CF hood even if not dry can save 1-3 lbs (Every bit helps)
-Clutch and flywheel
-Removal of all unnecessary rubber and plastic in engine bay
-Remove windshield wipers for track
-Gutting interior with removal of sound deadener and foam that keeps heat from engine

Anyone else? I need to know too

Last edited by Rickdogg; 04-13-2005 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:49 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Yeah thats true. The Tilton flywheel/clutch combos shave off 40 lbs from the stock pieces.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:18 AM
del105
15 f125

Originally Posted by phile
Del105, why does your car look so high in the back?

If I decide to shuck some weight for the SCCA, I'm going to be weary of taking too much out of the back. Does anyone know how a manufacturer gauges weight distribution?

There are a couple reasons it looks high in the back. 05 springs are stiffer and raise the back about a 1/2 in. over previous Z models. The other is that in that picture the rear of the car is not settled which is the main reason it looks so high. My car feels really good during auto-x very neutral with good turn-in. I hesitate to change anything at this point. I'm going to experiment with other shocks but at this point it is probably 90% perfect. Carter Thompson took 1st in my car at the national tour last weekend. I drove like crap but what I did learn is the car is fast the way it's setup.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:18 AM
phile

Originally Posted by del105
There are a couple reasons it looks high in the back. 05 springs are stiffer and raise the back about a 1/2 in. over previous Z models. The other is that in that picture the rear of the car is not settled which is the main reason it looks so high. My car feels really good during auto-x very neutral with good turn-in. I hesitate to change anything at this point. I'm going to experiment with other shocks but at this point it is probably 90% perfect. Carter Thompson took 1st in my car at the national tour last weekend. I drove like crap but what I did learn is the car is fast the way it's setup.
Sweet, 1st place... what kind of other cars was he competing against?

Btw, I know you said the wheels and tires dropped a bunch of weight, but do you know exactly how much your Enkeis weight themselves? They are 17" right?

I was looking at the RP03s. I don't know how much they weigh though.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:25 AM
del105
15 f125

Originally Posted by phile
Sweet, 1st place... what kind of other cars was he competing against?

Btw, I know you said the wheels and tires dropped a bunch of weight, but do you know exactly how much your Enkeis weight themselves? They are 17" right?

I was looking at the RP03s. I don't know how much they weigh though.

The competition was pretty mixed, rx8, M3, 350z ,MR2 turbo, 944 porsche.

The Enkeis with race tire weigh 40lbs front 41lbs rear.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:12 PM
UsafaRice

Originally Posted by spf4000
It's good to lose the weight, but it's more important where the weight reduction comes from. If you can drop 80lbs by changing out the exhaust system, great, but it'd be even better if you can lose the 80lbs from higher in the car, like the roof, hatch, doors, etc. because that would lower your center of gravity. Losing weight from the bottom of the car could actually raise the center of gravity.
And so then you lower the car an inch with the Tein Flex system or your choice of suspension.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:37 AM
spf4000

And so then you lower the car an inch with the Tein Flex system or your choice of suspension.
I have mine lowered 16mm with Hypermax IIs and I'm bottoming out on speed bumps and at every parking lot. I can't imagine going any lower than this.

Quick Reply: Less weight = more power; Have you lightened your Z?