Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

am I burning the clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 08:47 AM
L337350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also, dont ride the clutch while you're braking.. just push the clutch in right before you put it in neutral at the light (before the car stalls)
Old 02-17-2005, 04:11 PM
Blue Batmobile
Inventor
Blue Batmobile

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by desiguy

blue batmobile----how many miles on urs? is it a heavy kinda smell or just light?
I've got 20,000 miles. The smell comes and goes.

Bat™
Old 02-17-2005, 04:49 PM
desiguy

hmmm, well i checked up the car and nada...this thing is really starting to bug me. maybe i'll just have it checked out when i go to get my oil changed this weekend...
Old 02-17-2005, 05:34 PM
BigMoeTaki42

I had this smell when I first bought my Z (it was used). It had me worried for a week or so, especially once when the smell was really strong. It went away eventually though, no idea what it was. Most people told me it was the brakes, but I don't really know how those would have caused such a strong smell. Anyway, give it some time and see if it goes away.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:41 PM
Edison_Chen

I also have the same smell... in my 00 Prelude... Everytime, after i park my car, it gives off a weird burning smell.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:47 PM
im2kleen350

I know the smell ur talkin bout. i've smelt it twice and it was after i was racing. it wasnt the tires.........

Last edited by im2kleen350; 02-18-2005 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:12 PM
hypeiv

Originally posted by TtOrMaMnY
is it a brand new car. if it is its the coating they put on your car.. it took mine about a month before that smell went away!
I noticed the same thing when I frist got my Z. Even though it was used my garage always smelled like something was burning when I first got it. And I drive an auto so no clutch. I thought maybe it was the tires or brakes.

Either I have gotten used to it and can't smell it or it stopped.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:19 PM
islandsnow

is it some coating on the engine, there always is like a plasticky burning smell like some hose coating or something is burning off the manifolds or something like that and it seems to last a few thousand miles. Mines gone now, but i remember i had an engine smell like that too when i first got the car.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:31 PM
Janus

What about the Catalytic Converters?
Old 02-18-2005, 10:30 PM
damoniusmonk

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Janus
What about the Catalytic Converters?
Yup that's what I think...

I had that when the Z was new. So your cats are cleaning out or burning in, or whatever you want to call it. It also might just be our brakes, it's easy to use the brakes all the time really hard on a heavy powerful car with great brakes (I love 'em) You won't use them as much on your girl's civic.

I think I'm wearing on my brakes because I play with this car constantly, but that's what it's built for, brakes will go, and I will need new ones, for the life of the car...
Old 02-19-2005, 01:12 AM
Built2shredZ

My guess is your riding the clutch when you drive.... You should not have the clutch depressed more then a second when you start applying the gas... I think he's pushing on the gas and slowly letting the clutch out as he drives away.... This will eventually burn up your clutch...
Old 02-19-2005, 03:34 AM
zmespeed

i smell the same smell when ever i get out of anyother car that ive driven hard. and its all ways the brakes. but sometimes i get a little burn rubba smell
Old 02-19-2005, 03:08 PM
Edison_Chen

I dont notice it in the 350Z or the TL... both auto...
Old 02-19-2005, 07:33 PM
AZZGUY

Originally posted by maximZ
I smell something after I drive the car hard. I think I'm smelling my brakes tho....but it's definitely in the front of the car. I dunno.
Learn to drive using the clutch and brakes as little as possible - the clutch should never be in while at a stop light until you are ready to stop, or take off again. It's wearing on the clutch to have it in - while at a stand still. Same with brakes - learn to be ready to stop - if you see the yellow liehg half block away - foot off gas - even down shift one notch. I can com almost to a stop in 5th gear before I depress the clutch, then brake. Then release clutch! Foot still on the brake!!
Cluthes and brakes can get quite expensive!!
Have fun!! - but sensible driving.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:11 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

another idea: one time after an oil change, i didn't push dipstick down ALL THE WAY, smelled burning oil when driving after, checked the engine, noticed oil leaking from dipstick hole, pushed it all the way in, cleaned up oil. ps.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:37 PM
330R

Originally posted by AZZGUY
It's wearing on the clutch to have it in - while at a stand still.
Can you explain this a little more? How does having the clutch in at a stand still wear on it?

My understanding is that with the clutch pedal fully depressed, the clutch is disengaged and just spinning freely. How does this lead to wear?

I'm curious to know because I keep the clutch depressed at stop lights and if this is truly wearing on the clutch I will stop. So far, 11 years driving cars with manual trannies and no clutch problems.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:02 PM
Built2shredZ

Having the clutch in does not wear it down.... Only reason I don't keep the clutch in when im at a stop light is because the clutch is a little on the heavy side... I need to work out that left calf muscle more
Old 02-20-2005, 01:43 PM
nicolaycastro

yep, what about if you suddenly get a cramp... you let the clutch off, jerk the car, hit the car in front of you... never hurts to exagerete a little
Old 02-20-2005, 07:49 PM
desiguy

yea i've taken the advise of not riding the clutch and using the brakes as minimally as possible, but i still got the smell..maybe ill jus see where this goes..and hopefully..it will just go away...
Old 02-22-2005, 06:17 AM
bruschijr

here is a little hint to help you out on hills so you dont have to worry about rolling...

Either forward or backward rolling..

Stop with brakes and get in neutral.. then put your e-brake on so you wont roll backwards or forwards...
As you notice the light turns green shift into first as normal and take the e-brake off when you notice the clutch engage you can tell by watching the rpms... when they drop.. take the e-brake off.. there you go... piece of cake and you wont wear anything out especially your clutch on hills..

Quick Reply: am I burning the clutch?