Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

am I burning the clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 02:15 PM
HOMiEZ

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm smelling abnormal wear as I get out of my car like a some of the other members on this thread. I drive my car well, I dont ride the clutch. So at first I thought it was my brakes, like some members have mentioned, so I went ahead and changed to Hawks brake pads (by the way they are vey nice and definitely a good buy). After my brake change I noticed the smell is still present. I'm planning on visiting a dealer to get it checked out, but I'm sure they are going to say its my fault and I"ll have to pay to get it fixed.

PS I have almost 30k on my car so the new car plastic coating is not a problem.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:15 PM
350fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive never smelled it in my Z but i did smell something burning in my friends S2k about a few months back..

a few months back my friend picks up his 04 S2k. he offers me a ride, (which i didnt really want to cause i dont like hondas) but i go to be nice..

on the drive, he is driving real hard.. i dont know why, but i wasnt impressed.. the top is down and all of a sudden i smell something burning but he tells me its jus him chirping the tires.. RIGHT!!

i pay attention to his driving and i noticed that when he sits at a light he doesnt go into nuetral but he goes back to 1st and keeps it there till the light is green..at every light..

another thing i noticed, when hes cruising, he keeps his foot on the clutch.. i tell him that is not good for your clutch and thats prolly why i smell something burning.. he says " no im no pressing on the clutch i just rest my foot there" hahahaha

well a couple months later he had to go and get his clutch replaced..
Old 04-03-2005, 06:24 PM
nicolaycastro

how do you know that you need to replace the clutch?
Old 04-03-2005, 07:53 PM
taurran

I don't know what some of these people are talking about. Having the clutch fully depressed will not burn anything. The only time you can 'burn' the clutch is BETWEEN thee points when it is fully engaged and fully disengaged, when it is partially engaged. Sitting at a light with the clutch pedal to the floor while in 1st gear will do absolutely nothing to it.

Unless you track your car a lot or like to play with the ricers on a nightly basis, feathering the clutch for a reasonably smooth start will not cause abnormal wear.

Last edited by taurran; 04-03-2005 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:14 PM
dan-14

are you sure it's not your tires? i had this one set of tires once( can't remember what kind) that would always give off a abnormally strong burning smell after driving at higher speeds.

Last edited by dan-14; 04-04-2005 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-09-2005, 02:00 PM
myz8a4re

well, just wanted to add my burning smell experience. my burning smell almost smells like burning oil. it reminds me of the smell i had in my 300zxtt when my one turbo seal was going out, there was an obnoxious burning smell while driving around(untill i replaced my turbos). this smell is very similar to that, wich scares me, almost as if the head seals around the valves are messed up allowing trace amounts of oil to pass through & be burned. not enough to cause smoke to exit the tail pipes but enough to smell it. my car has 29k miles & ive smelled this smell everytime ive driven the z in the past 2 months. its starts shortly after the z gets to normal operating temp........my lazyness to put the stock cats back on to avoid voiding my warrenty at the dealer is why i havent been to the dealer yet.......im curious to hear if anyone here has brought there z to the dealer for this "burning smell"......my assumptions are just that,"assumptions", i may be way off, who knows.......just to throw this out there, i wonder is there any burning smell associated with some of the aftermarket parts ive installed on my z. like the resonated testpipes or my borla TD exhaust. both have approx 1500 mi on them......

-justin

Last edited by myz8a4re; 04-09-2005 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:54 PM
synth19

so much random info in this thread....lol