Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

am I burning the clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 07:04 AM
desiguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default am I burning the clutch?

I drove my z yesterday yesterday and parked it in my garage and noticeed a 'burnt' smell. It lasted for a good 10 minutes after i parked, and I'm not suer what it is. I've been driving manual for awhile and it seems like it may be the clutch. I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong when i shift.

When i am a stop light, I have the clutch depressed as far as possible. When the light turns, I put the z in 1st and ease off the clutch, while applying the accelerator. when i shift to second, i depress the clutch as far as possble and shift, ease off cluthc and apply gas....isin't this how u normally would shuift? maybe it happens, when i reverse, i dont really give gas, i just ease off the clutch and depending on how fast/slow i wanna reverse, thats the amount of pressure i apply.

any thoughts, on what im doin wrong?

thx!
Old 02-16-2005, 07:15 AM
Reggi914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might be your brakes. Your clutch and brakes are made out of the same exact material, so if your using your breaks too much that could be the reason for the smell also. Did you smell it while driving? If not, then its probably the brakes.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:16 AM
TtOrMaMnY

is it a brand new car. if it is its the coating they put on your car.. it took mine about a month before that smell went away!
Old 02-16-2005, 07:21 AM
King Tut

Default Re: am I burning the clutch?

Originally posted by desiguy
When the light turns, I put the z in 1st and ease off the clutch, while applying the accelerator. when i shift to second, i depress the clutch as far as possble and shift, ease off cluthc and apply gas....
This is the place you would burn the clutch. Especially if you are applying too much gas while letting out the clutch in second gear to make sure you get a smooth shift.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:24 AM
desiguy

i didnt smell it while driving...it was more after i parked the car in the garage. i mean the car has abotu 2800 miles on it, and i've rarely smelled it before. so, what do i do..get braked changed..or is it ok?

i see you are from rockland..i'm from rockland too...out in congers...

Originally posted by Reggi914
Might be your brakes. Your clutch and brakes are made out of the same exact material, so if your using your breaks too much that could be the reason for the smell also. Did you smell it while driving? If not, then its probably the brakes.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:25 AM
desiguy

i got the car in october and the car has about 2800 miles on it. so, i dont think its the coating on the car...

Originally posted by TtOrMaMnY
is it a brand new car. if it is its the coating they put on your car.. it took mine about a month before that smell went away!
Old 02-16-2005, 07:27 AM
King Tut

Normally you won't smell a burnt clutch till you get out. The cars behind you might have been smelling it though as you were doing it.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:32 AM
mofoz

you dont need to push the clutch in while in neautral at a stop. you can just leave it out.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:33 AM
desiguy

yea could be it...i have been applying more gas during the 2nd shift. but i made a concerted effort this morning to not apply as much gas, but i still smelled it after i got out of the car.

wht do i need to do better?
Old 02-16-2005, 07:47 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

Originally posted by mofoz
you dont need to push the clutch in while in neautral at a stop. you can just leave it out.
Exactly my thoughts. I release the clutch while in neutral during a stop light.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:51 AM
desiguy

but then i begin to roll backwards or forwards on some roads...can i press the brakes even if the clutch is not depressed?
Old 02-16-2005, 07:55 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

Most definitely! You're supposed to actually (at a stop).
Old 02-16-2005, 07:59 AM
aws6000

but then i begin to roll backwards or forwards on some roads...can i press the brakes even if the clutch is not depressed?
Yes you can use the brakes without using the clutch. Never "ride" the clutch when on a hill to keep the car from rolling backwards. If you do this... then yes, you probably are smelling the clutch.

The first thing I'd check if I were you is the exhaust. You may have a plastic bag stuck to the pipe. I have one on my car and am just waiting for it to burn off. I should probably scrape it off, but haven't done it yet.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:03 AM
nicolaycastro

Yes just put it in neutral whenever you are not driving or you do not want to move, you can press the brake, put the e-brake on watever you wan to do, you can even press the accelerator. Just dot forget to put it in neutral befor releasing the clutch .

I cant imagine the pain you would feel in your left leg while in a trafic jam or a series of red lights.

What I do smell though is a light burn smell whenever I am in a gear driving, leave the car in that gear, accelerate almost untill redline. Any coments on this?
Old 02-16-2005, 08:05 AM
desiguy

then thats probably it! I've been riding the clutch at hills. For some reason I thought that you couldn't hold the brake w/o the clutch...thanks for the clarification!

i'll have a look at my exhaust tonight...
Old 02-16-2005, 08:18 AM
ANXIOUZ

Right. When stopped you can either (1) put it in neutral and take your foot off the clutch or (2) keep the clutch pushed all the way in. With your right foot on the brake in both cases.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:58 AM
Blue Batmobile
Inventor
Blue Batmobile

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I get that smell lately too, especially at lights and I'm accelerating. I've never had that problem before. I have the car in neutral at the lights, then go into 1st gear...The smell is annoying.

Bat™
Old 02-17-2005, 05:52 AM
desiguy

ok, so i did what u guys recommended..easing off the clutch and using the brake in neutral...but the freaking smell is still there! this morning i drove it maybe a mile and ahalf and i filled up gas, and i could smell it.

the thing is i never had the smell before and now its there...what gives...is this a problme with the car?

blue batmobile----how many miles on urs? is it a heavy kinda smell or just light?
Old 02-17-2005, 06:27 AM
aws6000

Do you rest your foot on the clutch when driving? Make sure to check under the car for anything stuck to the exhaust.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:36 AM
ANXIOUZ

I smell something after I drive the car hard. I think I'm smelling my brakes tho....but it's definitely in the front of the car. I dunno.

Quick Reply: am I burning the clutch?